Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    As a man who has done fast food for years, do not assume the people in the back can't fuck up your order because you put it in yourself. I've had to stop people putting cheese on burgers or pizzas on no cheese items when they were the only order to worry about and the words are highlighted in red.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    You should. It sucks.

Amazon is working on a much more efficient system wherein you just enter the store, pick out what you want, and walk out. The store automation software tracks the items, tracks you, and automatically debits your purchases when you leave.
    Wal-Mart has been working on this since at least 2005/2006, probably a year or two before.

They hit a personal snag with the devices they were intending to use though, apparently shelving the idea for a good while.

I prefer self check out if I am only buying a few items.

However, I don't like using it if I have a cart full of items. Because I feel like the store employee who is there to assist is watching me like a hawk to make sure that I don't steal anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    I think you're a selfish individual who lacks empathy. Do you know how many people depend on those types of jobs and still they live paycheck to paycheck? How would you feel if you grew up in a household where the main breadwinner was laid off because some idiot didn't want to interact with them?
    Those jobs are not meant to be lifelong careers, they are for teenagers, college students and housewifes/househusbands seeking to make an extra buck. This is entry level work. You are supposed to move on from here to either a trade or go off to uni in order to get a nice job.

Quote Originally Posted by xcureanddisease View Post
    I found it incredibly easier to order off the self service computer at Mc Donalds and incredibly easier to use self check out at Target. Not having to deal with people who don't really give a shit about getting your order correct so that those in the back can pack it up right pleases me. I am 100% not anti-social. I am a true extrovert. And I understand why most of them hate their jobs, I wouldn't like it either. But I think this is a good time to stop humans from working that industry and get some A.I. in. Computers can work endlessly without bathroom breaks and no work hazards.

What do you guys think?
    Feel free to foot the bill and get all that AI programed and put the hardware in place.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

When I'm ordering a salad and iced tea i don't mind human interaction.

When I go to order 13 McRibs I'd rather not interact with anyone while I dress up like the unib-mber

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you're a selfish individual who lacks empathy. Do you know how many people depend on those types of jobs and still they live paycheck to paycheck? How would you feel if you grew up in a household where the main breadwinner was laid off because some idiot didn't want to interact with them?
    I used to work at Home Depot. I was LITERALLY the only one who would WALK customers(not point to stuff) over to what they needed and didn't leave their side until they were completely satisfied. I got phone calls about my performance and a cop pulled me over for parking next to a fire hydrant, he let me go because he was one of the customers who walked in and I bent over backwards to help. He said to me "I hate walking in that place because nobody wants to help me but you did" Verbatim.

How would I feel if it were me? I'd act like my job depended on my survival and appreciate every waking moment which I did at that retail job. But that isn't how it is today and yes I was and still am that type of employee. I got out of retail a long time ago but I am still the same way now.

You dont want to lose your job? Dont act like you dont want to be there.
    Last edited by Rad1um; 2018-05-23 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Edit: Stuff

I prefer checkouts with a person. Usually in stores around here they have someone watching the self checkouts for thieves. I'd much rather interact with the checkout person by saying hello than have someone staring at me like I could be a thief.

And In food places I prefer humans also.

Quote Originally Posted by xcureanddisease View Post
    I found it incredibly easier to order off the self service computer at Mc Donalds and incredibly easier to use self check out at Target. Not having to deal with people who don't really give a shit about getting your order correct so that those in the back can pack it up right pleases me. I am 100% not anti-social. I am a true extrovert. And I understand why most of them hate their jobs, I wouldn't like it either. But I think this is a good time to stop humans from working that industry and get some A.I. in. Computers can work endlessly without bathroom breaks and no work hazards.

What do you guys think?
    I am not an introvert which means I can handle talking to people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Harvey View Post
    You didn't read anything I wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I must admit I use these "self checkout" services when I can. We're also doing a lot of mail order, 3/4ths of our food comes via mail order these days.

But if you have 2 carts of groceries, going to the human checkout lane is the way to go.

So I have mixed feelings.

I use mail order for almost everything one would consider a non-consumable, even clothing. Driving around to various shops hoping they have something in stock is a tremendous waste of my personal time. For groceries and anything like that, I always go to manned registers.

Our society is not at all geared for automation creep for a variety of reasons that have all been brought up in other threads. The shift will be a good thing, as ultimately we're not put on this planet to be a wage slave the majority of our waking hours. In the future, capitalism will be looked back on as a transitional and rather exploitative economic model.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's not what introvert is.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

This is just ignorance.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd like to see any sort of non-creative/non-personal job be automated, and rebuild society around a currency-less economy where supply drastically outweighs demand in every possible category.

Deleted
    We got self checkout at our local supermarket. 100% awesome. No person interaction is my type of interaction.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anastacy View Post
    Wal-Mart has been working on this since at least 2005/2006, probably a year or two before.

They hit a personal snag with the devices they were intending to use though, apparently shelving the idea for a good while.
    I knew they were trying something, but hadn't really heard more than that. What was the snag?

My initial thought on reading this, and one of the reasons I'm going to hell, is that Walmart's typical patrons don't seem like the best locale for testing new technology of this nature. I would think people who are more, um, in tune with tech and the world around them, like Amazon Fresh and Whole Foods peeps, would be a much better testing ground.

Quote Originally Posted by SensationalBanana View Post
    And in the end, more people will have fewer options for work, meaning we'll see a need for drastic changes to society.
    UBI FTW.

/10char

10+ Year Old Account
    At supermarkets, I am not touching self-checkouts. Smaller places, sure.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

7+ Year Old Account
    I find that the self service in Mcdonalds is very slow. While its great that is has more options to customise your meals, the loading times drag on and the touch pad is not very good. Might be different elsewhere but one near my place opened up not long ago and the screens are shit and so is the one near the uni I go to

Self service in supermarkets are intended for the maximum of a basket of stuff. It frustrates me when I see people with trollies taking it into self service. Theres not that much space to begin with and now you're taking up the row with your trolley full of shite.

I don't see these options replacing jobs anytime soon. Plus if its anything like what Mcdonalds has, the self service doesn't take cash, so those who are stuck in the past won't use their cards and therefore wouldn't be able to use it.

Always used them in Home Depot. Quick and simple, more humans in the equation leads to more human errors.

- - - Updated - - -

Job market changes, industries change, society changes. Can't just halt that for the sake of jobs.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    I prefer human there. If I have to do it all myself, then pay me for having to spend my time doing it.
    Well, less humans to pay could cause the prices of the products to lower. Maybe not, but it is a possibility. So that 60 seconds or so you spend "working" for the company - hopefully your burger goes down in price by like $0.50 so you will get your pay.