Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

Actually moderate threads instead of knee-jerk closing them

The people who were honoring Totalbiscuit by talking about where they first heard of him or some of their favorite videos just get steamrolled by the ~6 trolls who just wanted to shitpost in the thread.

So instead of them getting taken care of by mods, the entire thread just gets closed. I'm not sure whats so hard about just enforcing the rules that were established literally on page 1.

I sure as hell hope all the mods realize when you don't bother to moderate a thread and instead just close it, you're sending the message to the asshole trolls that they should keep doing what they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Necroxis View Post
    The people who were honoring Totalbiscuit by talking about where they first heard of him or some of their favorite videos just get steamrolled by the ~6 trolls who just wanted to shitpost in the thread.

So instead of them getting taken care of by mods, the entire thread just gets closed. I'm not sure whats so hard about just enforcing the rules that were established literally on page 1.

I sure as hell hope all the mods realize when you don't bother to moderate a thread and instead just close it, you're sending the message to the asshole trolls that they should keep doing what they are doing.
    If they really wanted to do something they would end the endless burner account train people use.

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    If they really wanted to do something they would end the endless burner account train people use.
    I have no idea why there aren't IP bans. Yeah you can get around it, but it will stop a lot of people from trolling without a care and then using a burner account.

This will probably end up closed, however, I agree that infractions should be given out constantly (since we have the system) instead of a thread being closed.

EDIT: However, the mod was right in that case, imho. It went off the rails and was getting ridiculous. They even apologized for not being able to police it.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CerealLord View Post
    This will probably end up closed, however, I agree that infractions should be given out constantly (since we have the system) instead of a thread being closed.

EDIT: However, the mod was right in that case, imho. It went off the rails and was getting ridiculous. They even apologized for not being able to police it.
    This happens because people know if they shitpost enough the thread will get closed with no or a few infractions.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    This happens because people know if they shitpost enough the thread will get closed with no or a few infractions.
    Yeah, I guess you are right about that. I'd like to see infractions still go out for every inflammatory post, but I know that isn't viable.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Yep the moderator's need to actually moderate, The site is becoming has bad as reddit.

There is no reason the thread about TB should have been closed. The 6 or so people trolling should have been banned from the get go.

If the mods are not going to actually moderate then they shouldn't be mods at all.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Deleted
    I agree. At some points moderators on this site stopped moderating and opted to just close ANYTHING remotely unconstructive/toxic.

this is the way it should be. someone's being a cunt, punish them, not everyone else.

7+ Year Old Account
    Seriously, WTF. A clear case of something that should have been easily moderated. The culprits are far from difficult to ferret out.

Kind of regret my premium membership when I see knee jerk reactions like this.

What a shame.

7+ Year Old Account
    How long will it be before the mods come in here and close this because "Discussion moderation is not allowed, if you have a problem with a mod talk to one of our global mods"?

When too many posts are getting derailed from the original topic, it is absolutely right to close that thread.

Specifically, derailing threads are usually also tied to an initial topic that was too sensitive or vague to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Seriously, WTF. A clear case of something that should have been easily moderated. The culprits are far from difficult to ferret out.

Kind of regret my premium membership when I see knee jerk reactions like this.

What a shame.
    Yep TB's thread is a perfect example on the fact that moderation on this site is dog shit. I even messaged a mod way before the thread was closed asking them to step in because the thread shouldn't be closed due to a few asshats.

Guess what, No reply and I know they have been on since because I saw them comment in other threads. The site isn't worth a dime until they fix there moderation.

News Flash Mods, Closing a thread isn't moderation its being fucken lazy.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

7+ Year Old Account
    The TotalBiscuit thread should be re-opened and those responsible for derailing the thread should be infracted.

Seriously, I can get infracted (by scrapbot) for *yawning* at an inappropriate spam message about religion but the various vitriolic posts in the TotalBiscuit thread are allowed without reprecussions?

Edge- explained it pretty well:

Sorry that we weren't able to heavily police the thread, we can't be in every thread all the time.
    Infractions were handed out over multiple pages if you look through it. They were doing their jobs, but since they can't stick around 24/7 to monitor the volatility, they probably decided to close it before it erupted anew while they were away. There was some pretty awful stuff in that thread, including encouraging suicide.

I loved TB, but I can see why it needed to be closed. Unfortunately (and mysteriously to me), TB was a polarizing character.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    News Flash Mods, Closing a thread isn't moderation its being fucken lazy.
    And encourages negative posting in threads you don't like in the hopes of getting the thread closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    Edge- explained it pretty well:.
    Edge- was literally replying to one of the trolls in the thread way early into it and feeding them. If they can't moderate they shouldn't be mods, If they are lacking mods then get more.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    Edge- explained it pretty well:

Infractions were handed out over multiple pages if you look through it. They were doing their jobs, but since they can't stick around 24/7 to monitor the volatility, they probably decided to close it before it erupted anew while they were away. There was some pretty awful stuff in that thread, including encouraging suicide.

I loved TB, but I can see why it needed to be closed. Unfortunately (and mysteriously to me), TB was a polarizing character.
    That's bullshit. I've moderated forums in the past. That particular thread would have been easy to fix.

Bring Endus back, at least he actively moderated.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Anyone that trolls the threads of someone that just recently died should honestly just get perma banned. The level of piece of shit you would have to be to attack a guy that recently died, or attack people in a thread about someone that recently died is pretty out there.
    Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
    yeah wow cool..how about raising the valor cap consider WoD isn't that far away? 1000 valor points gets u a lollipop and kick in the nutsack these days! Back in my day we could get a bucket of candy and a pet ferret with that sort of points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    QUICKLY FRIENDS, TO THE HYPERBOLEMOBILE!