Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Do you consider walking a workout?

I heard that some people lost weights by walking around 10,000 steps per day. Do you consider walking (fast) a kind of workout?

Yup, But it all depends on the person if they will lose weight or not

Walking is valid exercise, yes.

No. Walking doesn't raise the heartbeat (unless you're obese).
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

... Facts of biology considers walking a potential workout.

It all depends on how it's done.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by durrtygoodz View Post
    Pure BS. Walking can be done at a variety of speeds and intensity, not just 1...

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes. Walking is a great workout.

Quote Originally Posted by durrtygoodz View Post
    lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Bloodsail Admiral DrIvoRobotnik's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Won't build much muscle, but it's great for losing weight! Walking/jogging burns most calories for least effort.

15+ Year Old Account
    You should try racewalking. It's such a brutal sport.

Valentin Kononen, that man was a beast.

Check from 2min forwards (NSFW)....

I think it was in the last olympics when Yohann Diniz just kept going on and on even though his pants were filled with shit, piss and blood.
    Last edited by Puupi; 2018-05-16 at 04:54 PM.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

I guess it depends on what your goal is.

If your goal is to get fit, walking is low intensity by nature, so not great for building up the kind of endurance you'd need to run and climb and such.

If you're looking to lose weight, pairing walking with reduced caloric intake will help you drop weight relatively effortlessly without substantially increasing your appetite. The walk would need to be at a good pace for about 45 minutes - if you do that, depending on your current weight, you can burn ~300+ calories in about 45 mins. Not too shabby at all, given the effort. I can't stress enough the point about not substantially increasing appetite. When you're trying to cut, increased appetite is the last thing you want.

A lot of runners burn great calories on their runs, but their appetites are huge. This makes watching your calories much more difficult, which makes losing weight more difficult.
    Last edited by Derecho; 2018-05-17 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tinywater2017 View Post
    I heard that some people lost weights by walking around 10,000 steps per day. Do you consider walking (fast) a kind of workout?
    yes walking can be a workout, but what you have to remember is that the body adapts to stimulus, or stresses placed upon it, (such as working out, weight lifting etc.) basically anything that pushes the body to protect itself or grow....walking works to a point, but then the body becomes incredibly efficient at it and you will need to add more stress to it, hence why resistence training is progressive.

Walking is great for people who are de-conditioned, rehabbing an injury are injured(non lower-body obviously) or just overweight and want to get back into the swing of things.

However, it's not a cure-all or a quick fix in the least.

But if you're curious about getting your fitness on and/or you want to start to lose some extra poundage then by all means please start walking!

Instagram: understarmor
    Facebook: Paul Starnes Fitness

Walking is a workout, but the body adapts super quick so just like anything else that's progressive, after a while you will need to change the stress placed on the body while walking so that the body doesn't get too used to the same thing over and over.

I.e. - walk one mile a day for about a week then walk about 2 miles a day for a week, or walk with weights, then walk without.

Progressively increasing your fitness at a reasonable pace is literally the only way you should be trying to exercise, it doesn't have to be nuts or crazy kinds of increases but increasing weight or changing an exercise stimulus is the best way to go.

Grunt
    5+ Year Old Account
    If you are walking slowly with bad form it isn't much of a good workout. Once you get going at a steady pace and work on engaging your muscles I would consider it a workout.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tinywater2017 View Post
    Only when the fat guys most dreaded enemy the Stairs are involved.

Deleted
    Walking 1mile burns the same calories as running 1 mile.

It just takes longer.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    Walking 1mile burns the same calories as running 1 mile.

It just takes longer.
    Not true, but the difference isn't as huge as people think.

Walking is more energy efficient compared to running. Which is the reason why we walk, not run, to places.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Not true, but the difference isn't as huge as people think.

Walking is more energy efficient compared to running. Which is the reason why we walk, not run, to places.
    I'll stick with what I said originally, cheers though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    I'll stick with what I said originally, cheers though.
    Well, you shouldn't. There's like a ~50% difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    For me? No, walking isn't really a workout. Depends on the person. If you weigh 600 pounds or have some other issue that compromises mobility I imagine walking is quite a workout.

I used to walk 20km in a 5 hour shift at my old job, I can tell you walking works you out lol.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

15+ Year Old Account
    EDIT: whoops wrong thread.