Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Blademaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    Single parents generally are seen as a negative thing in society - they're for the most part leeches on the society, requiring their lifestyle to be sustained by the government. Sending a child into that home to live in poverty is just cruel. No. Single parents should not be allowed to adopt.
    There are already restrictions in place to make sure you are capable of raising a child before you can adopt/foster. Not everyone that is single is poor or needs government assistance.

Edited because apparently what I originally wrote was confusing. To be clear, I do not think financially unstable people should be able to adopt/foster.
    Last edited by Ryk; 2018-05-26 at 02:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Then I sure hope you're gonna advocate for increased immigration.
    How on earth does that help? Are immigrants a rich source of adoptive parents or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    Single parents generally are seen as a negative thing in society - they're for the most part leeches on the society, requiring their lifestyle to be sustained by the government. Sending a child into that home to live in poverty is just cruel. No. Single parents should not be allowed to adopt.
    so every single single parent in the world is poor, and every married couple is super rich.

good to know your logic is super flawless

Quote Originally Posted by Ryk View Post
    Sounds to me like you are saying poor single parents shouldn't be allowed to adopt. There are already restrictions in place to make sure you are capable of raising a child before you can adopt/foster. Not everyone that is single is poor or needs government assistance.
    Poor generally would imply someone that is struggling to make ends meet. You really suggest adding a child on top of that will be beneficial to both of them? This isn't the 1800s where having more children meant more farmhands. Poor people should absolutely not be allowed to adopt. Focus on your own life before trying to handle someone elses.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    you think all you need to raise a child is money?

How ignorant.
    Thats not all you need no, but it does help. One thing it helps with is being able to afford a great daycare while you work compared to sending the child to the crappy one that you can barely afford.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerrol View Post
    How on earth does that help? Are immigrants a rich source of adoptive parents or something?
    If you're going to openly espouse anti-natalist policies like refusing to provide financial assistance for parents then immigration is necessary to keep the economy healthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Blademaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerrol View Post
    Poor generally would imply someone that is struggling to make ends meet. You really suggest adding a child on top of that will be beneficial to both of them? This isn't the 1800s where having more children meant more farmhands. Poor people should absolutely not be allowed to adopt. Focus on your own life before trying to handle someone elses.
    You clearly didn't read my post. I'm at a loss trying to figure out where you read in my post that I said people who are financially unstable should be able to foster/adopt. Please try again.

Edit - I think I see where you got confused. The guy I was responding to said he thought "single people shouldn't adopt". I was merely making the statement that he was saying "poor single people shouldn't adopt". I wasn't advocating that poor people should be able to... I was just correcting his own statement to be in-line with the rest of his thoughts.
    Last edited by Ryk; 2018-05-26 at 02:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by infinit View Post
    Strange, considering Mothers abuse children at a higher rate then Fathers.

https://www.cdc.gov/violencepreventi...t-a-glance.pdf
    Sadly i doubt many will listen to this

I see this thread attracted the young and dumb crowd, people saying stuff like "only if there aren't enough families adopting"... this would be considered a troll comment if you weren't serious, there are always kids without families or homes and they grow up in a very shitty system and abuses them and leaves them scarred for life many times, and the morons in this thread are saying they should stay in that terrible system and end up broken because with a single parent they won't have a "typical" parenting structure clearly have no idea what those kids go through before(if) they find a home.

the ignorance in this thread is really sad.

so to answer the initial stupid question... yes, anyone with the means and desire to care for a child that isn't theirs should be allowed to. this feels more like a bait thread though, it's almost as if you were implying single men adopting kids would be doing it for some sinister purpose... i guess you're right though, no woman has ever abused their child.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    If you're going to openly espouse anti-natalist policies like refusing to provide financial assistance for parents then immigration is necessary to keep the economy healthy.
    El Oh El. Not sure where I said single parents shouldn't get help? I get that some mother's will need help for various reasons. BTW, I was raised by a single mom, so
    I understand how tough it can be. She didn't rely on government hand outs though. I think the most she took advantage of was getting me free lunch in grade school. I'm pretty sure my taxes have covered that by now, so we're good on the guilt trip.

BTW, insn't the average time span of immigrants to be a net gain like three generations? Thank god I'll be dead before this whole sham crumbles around us, since I can't wait for the millions of dependents to drain the government.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ryk View Post
    You clearly didn't read my post. I'm at a loss trying to figure out where you read in my post that I said people who are financially unstable should be able to foster/adopt. Please try again.

Edit - I think I see where you got confused. The guy I was responding to said he thought "single people shouldn't adopt". I was merely making the statement that he was saying "poor single people shouldn't adopt". I wasn't advocating that poor people should be able to... I was just correcting his own statement to be in-line with the rest of his thoughts.
    Then i guess we agree? SIngle people can adpot, poor people cannot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SensationalBanana View Post
    Of course I do.

At the same rate as male ones? Fuck no.
    Or they aren't caught as often due to social bias

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    you think all you need to raise a child is money?

How ignorant.
    financial security goes a long way in today's society. Some families don't even have that.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they can demonstrate they can provide for them, why not?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    They all should undergo the same scrutiny in the adoption process, but I believe men should have some oversight after adoption as well, as the issue of pedophilia is a much bigger concern from a single man than it is a single woman.

- - - Updated - - -

Not insane, and "feminist" has so many loaded definitions I don't know how to answer that.

I just know pedophilia and sex crimes tend to be much more common for men than women, and as such would want that taken into account when letting single men adopt. That's not unreasonable.
    You do know women are reported for abuse(sexual or otherwise) FAR less often then men are yes?

They are actually so underreported i would say oir staistics are questionable at best if not outright wrong when it comes to rates of women as prdophiles or sexually abuse

If they are qualified, sure. Haven't seen a good argument supporting otherwise.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    I just know pedophilia and sex crimes tend to be much more common for men than women, and as such would want that taken into account when letting single men adopt. That's not unreasonable.
    It kind of is unreasonable, though.

You're basically saying "Who cares if the kid's abused, as long as they're not sexually abused."

Men are more likely to abuse sexually, women are more likely to abuse physically or emotionally. ALL abuse is bad and the system should put just as much effort into preventing one as the other.

Yes, so long as they meet the same requirements that a couple would.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    No - single people should not be able to adopt. It's not fair for the child. Unless there is a huge shortage of adoption families.
    There is, especially older children

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    No - single people should not be able to adopt. It's not fair for the child. Unless there is a huge shortage of adoption families.
    AKA reality...

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Everwake View Post
    Single males should have to pass a vigorous background check. It doesn't sound fair, but we're talking about a child's life. All precautions should be taken.
    What about single females looking to adopt? Should they get the same treatment?