Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Personal data is being used to affect everything from what you buy to how you vote. Data gathering in the UK has likely affected all the major referendums and votes in the last 10 years at least.

Personal data is quite possibly one of the most important resources a government can abuse. This level of blatant abuse by our government and others in the world should concern you at least a bit.
    What's that, people are trying to influence what I buy? Holy shit, is this why I got rid of my horse?

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    *cough* Cambridge Analytica scandal and its ramifications *cough*
    Cambridge Analytica works nowhere near a personal level. Cambridge Analytica was about identifying trends and patterns and aiming advertising at groups of people to win an election.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rilch View Post
    GDPR empowers big data corporations by removing smaller competitors who can't afford lawyers to go through new regulations.

Yeah, so good EU is making powerful data corportions even more powerful. This will certainly help with personal data protection in the longer run. Not.
    Lol, GDPR is really not that complicated. Even americans are capable of understanding it and implementing solutions cheaply.

Hopefully except for fox news.

Quote Originally Posted by tommypilgrim View Post
    Cambridge Analytica works nowhere near a personal level. Cambridge Analytica was about identifying trends and patterns and aiming advertising at groups of people to win an election.
    do you even read your own posts?

If the websites can't commit to protecting my data under the new EU Data Protection law, then fuck those websites.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Why would anyone go to US news sites for information, or anything?
    I visit fox news for comedic entertainment, occasionally.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    Also Bentley is owned by the Volkswagen Group.
    At least good old rolls Royce are hand made in Britain.

Apart from the engine Chassis and gear box which are German.

Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    I visit fox news for comedic entertainment, occasionally.
    Fair point.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    It's not a who's to blame question, because both are to blame. However, before the EU enacted legislation, there was no block. So it is more the EU's fault than the company's because it is their action that caused it.
    Fucking eu laws against murder. Sooner UK is brexitted the better.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Fair point.
    I miss bill

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Gotta love all the leaver brits complaining about this and stating it'll be better when we're out of the EU. Seriously, stop drinking the Daily Mail cool aid.
    We're leaving, deal with it.

It's shit, but we might as well try to make the best of it, while fighting against any reduction in rights.

Though the nhs will be sold off to us crony capitalists and well be eating hormone pumped chicken if the Tories are allowed back in.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Again sprouting the same misinformation that has been posted by Americans again and again in this thread, guess you all read some opinion-piece in one of the right-wing outlets.

Typically small businesses don't collect much user data.

- - - Updated - - -

They had 2 years to get it in order.

- - - Updated - - -

If they are registering information on EU citizens they are operating in the EU.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm fairly sure this law will still exist after brexit, as will the wast majority of other EU legislation.
    Immediately brexit, sure, as all eu rules are enacted via equivalent UK parliamentary bills.

Post brexit, Tories will be trying to remove as much rights based legislation as they can.

They had 2 years to get it in order.
    Who is they? And what does time have anything to do with the EU not wanting anything to do with US business practice?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizzeeyooo View Post
    do you even read your own posts?
    "Groups" of people are not at a "personal", ie, individual, level.

"Groups" of people are not at a "personal", ie, individual, level.
    grouping people based on individual preferences/actions is not at a personal or individual level, ok then

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    I'm not going to bother with you if you're going to ignore anything you cant spin into a dumb argument.

I used that as a scale: Influencing what you buy, being the most obvious starting point, all the way to affecting election results which is very severe. Like 0 - 10 but for adults.

You're for leaving the EU, surely election tampering by your own government should concern you just as much?
    And were Theresa May hiring Derren Brown to mindfuck me into thinking I need to vote Tory I would be concerned. People are trying to influence us all the time. It is impossible not to be influenced. I mean shit, this is basic Althusser/interpellation theory. Cambridge Analytica and the like cannot make you think something you aren't already willing to believe. They can simply target and try to convince those on the margins, and you're somewhat naive if you don't think people on both sides are trying to do that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzeeyooo View Post
    grouping people based on individual preferences/actions is not at a personal or individual level, ok then
    No, it is not on an individual level, because it is a group. It would be incredibly inefficient, and ridiculously expensive, to try to target each individual. The data collection company will build various profiles of users and use those broad profiles to try to influence people. It may shock you, but people are not snowflakes, you can group them together and target them very effectively.
    Last edited by mmocb3fb419dbb; 2018-05-26 at 04:17 PM.

How backwards of you.
    If backwards is factual, then I am as backwards as can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    We're leaving, deal with it.

It's shit, but we might as well try to make the best of it, while fighting against any reduction in rights.

Though the nhs will be sold off to us crony capitalists and well be eating hormone pumped chicken if the Tories are allowed back in.

- - - Updated - - -

Immediately brexit, sure, as all eu rules are enacted via equivalent UK parliamentary bills.

Post brexit, Tories will be trying to remove as much rights based legislation as they can.
    Your aware that a large part of UK businesses will be dealing with EU citizens and therefor have to comply to rules such as this even if you scrap them yourselves right?
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

What GDPR means is EU'ers will be seeing this more

Unfortunately, our website is currently unavailable in most European countries. We are engaged on the issue and committed to looking at options that support our full range of digital offerings to the EU market. We continue to identify technical compliance solutions that will provide all readers with our award-winning journalism.

Not like you already aren't used to it.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    What GDPR means is EU'ers will be seeing this more

Unfortunately, our website is currently unavailable in most European countries. We are engaged on the issue and committed to looking at options that support our full range of digital offerings to the EU market. We continue to identify technical compliance solutions that will provide all readers with our award-winning journalism.

Not like you already aren't used to it.
    I love the "engaged" and "looking at options". Like this came out of no where and they had no time to prepare...
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

If they are registering information on EU citizens they are operating in the EU.
    Not if they don't have a nexus there. And if SCOTUS rules US does not have to follow it in the absence of a nexus, so be it. EU will have to negotiate that into a trade agreement. Not to mention the WTO could step in too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    I'm just not arrogant enough to believe that people are out to get me. Nobody cares about you or your information on a personal level.
    Great, you don't care about your privacy, but you don't decide that for everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Its a law that protects the consumer. Nothing wrong with that. (exept email spam from sites i barely used that i just deleted instantly)

If a site wants to profit from your personal infomation, they need to ask you now. If they dont ask they get fined. And i am totaly fine with that.

(this also means less ADD money for those trash companys like facebook)

- - - Updated - - -

There is VPN
    Does the EU even have jurisdiction to enforce fines? Does the Orlando Sentinel et al. have offices in Europe/ publish physically there?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    Does the EU even have jurisdiction to enforce fines? Does the Orlando Sentinel et al. have offices in Europe/ publish physically there?
    I would say no. Just having a business doesnt open you up to laws from every country (and many countries have laws that contradict each other so you cannot follow them all) UNless youre asking people from the EU to do business with you, then if they fined me Id tell them to shove it up their ass. You cant stop people from the EU from visiting your site so simply having a website would force you to comply to their laws if it was enforceable. I say its bullshit