Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by alt-ithist View Post
    /looks @Darnassus & Undercity, really?
    The devs making TWO cities that the majority of the playerbase either never went to or didn't like due to it's design doesn't tell me they are willing to make HUGE changes....if they wanted to make real change they would do it with like IF/SW/Og...you know, the ones where people actually hang out in that are in valuable territory.

Unless the humans are cleansing Undercity and rebuilding lordaeron then this is really just a silly attempt at a "war".

Changes need to be "permanent". Nice cherry pick with the quote in an attempt to defend this lazy way the devs are going.
    Master Personal Trainer Instagram: Understarmor
    Certified Fitness Nutritionist Facebook: Paul Starnes Fitness
    Certified in Corrective Exercise Science

If you have any fitness/nutrition related questions, feel free to DM me!

The Faction war (or identity?) is one of the few things that, in my opinion, symbolise WoW and, in general, Warcraft. We always had these sides being at odds. People would probably complain that the game becomes too friendly and cheerful without conflict.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mario710 View Post
    What I wish to understand is WHY ..WHY is it a point of interest in this game if NEITHER FACTION will ever win?!

Perhaps I wouldn't be making this thread that no one will be able to accurately answer if Blizzard actually did something that taxed one faction but didn't tax the other; but lord knows what repercussions that will have on the health of the player base.
    I think the faction war is played out as well. Its worth mentioning however that Blizz said (at Blizzcon) quote/unquote 'now that the Legion has been dealt with, the old Horde and Alliance hostilities have reignited. Its time to resolve that." That strongly suggests that BFA will be a resolution to the faction war.

So maybe BFA will put an end to the outright hostility between Horde and Alliance, but keep the PvP stuff as a kind of 'honorable combat'.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Understarmor View Post
    The devs making TWO cities that the majority of the playerbase either never went to or didn't like due to it's design doesn't tell me they are willing to make HUGE changes....if they wanted to make real change they would do it with like IF/SW/Og...you know, the ones where people actually hang out in that are in valuable territory.

Unless the humans are cleansing Undercity and rebuilding lordaeron then this is really just a silly attempt at a "war".

Changes need to be "permanent". Nice cherry pick with the quote in an attempt to defend this lazy way the devs are going.
    Can’t say much about Darnasus but I’ve personally loved undercity. Always hope they would eventually build up the surface as well, and my hopes of that had skyrocket when sylvanas became warchief. All those hopes and dreams are shattered now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruargh
    I'm baffled that something this simple can be so hard for some people... I guess we can't blame blizzard for dumbing down the game any longer, because apparently it very much needed :

Quote Originally Posted by alt-ithist View Post
    Can’t say much about Darnasus but I’ve personally loved undercity. Always hope they would eventually build up the surface as well, and my hopes of that had skyrocket when sylvanas became warchief. All those hopes and dreams are shattered now.
    I agree, I actually am one of the few that liked both these cities but a LOT of people didn't. I liked undercity due to it's rich lore as a fallen city of lordaeron and then as it's "rise" as the undead capital. That's why BFA got me excited because I thought that we were literally going to do what I said in my original post....take it back and rebuild it, then it would be awesome to actually have to contribute to rebuild a once thought lost city and rebuild the seven kingdoms on EK.

As for all the undead goopity goop that's supposedly uncurable I highly doubt that the cenarion circle as well as the light couldn't cleanse this part of the continent over the course of an xpansion and just completely leave it that way....same way with horde getting darnassus, as much as I loved darnassus, (im a huge nelf fan and started with one) I'm ok with it if they rebuild it in their actual image....it would literally change the landscape of the game and actually give it a breath of fresh air.

As for those who are pursists and like myself do miss the old world, blizz has phasing, so what they could do is basically let you start from a vanilla experience where you still start off as a nelf in darnassus and as you progress through the game the game phases along with the story.....so if you REALLY wanted to deal with your nostalgia you could actually play the game with the world changing right before your eyes as you quest/dungeon/level.

Maybe make the requirements really strict, something such as you have to complete all the raids of one expansion before you can push the story forward.

And to help with this, you could either let those people recruit high level players or maybe make it so you can recruit npc's in cities as your "raid group" if others were unwilling to help. There are ways to do this, it all determines how much effort blizz wants to put into it. And yes, I know it's hella idealistic and ambitious, but isn't that what made this game great when it first came out? ;-)
    Master Personal Trainer Instagram: Understarmor
    Certified Fitness Nutritionist Facebook: Paul Starnes Fitness
    Certified in Corrective Exercise Science

If you have any fitness/nutrition related questions, feel free to DM me!

IMO, the problem is that it changes so little. We start up a new faction war and it is the same issue with the same sides and the same people. I mean, as the other poster states, you know it will have to end in a draw.

Now Blizzard needs faction conflict for PvP. So that is why I think three factions would be cool. One faction could loose or gain ground and the two weaker factions ganging up on the stronger ones could keep things balanced. And three sides means that just hating the other faction isn't enough, because you don't want to oppose two at once.

10+ Year Old Account
    I quite like the faction conflict - does it make sense? Not really anymore. But ever since the beginning the factions have been war and they should be, it's cool.

The problem is how it's being written right now that it doesn't make that much sense anymore. Especially in the shadow of world ending threats.

7+ Year Old Account
    Maybe the game is called World of Warcraft not World of WHinecraft ?

5+ Year Old Account
    Another day, another FACTION WAR SHIT thread on MMO-C. It’s kind of amazing how many pacifist cucks have been drawn to this forum. Even the official forums don’t have this much whinging.
    Owner & Operator of The Barrens Grind Support Group
    Survivor of Early TBC Ganklethorn Vale
    Horde Till I Die

The faction war made sense when it was WC3, it made sense in Vanilla, it made half-sense in TBC, it stopped making sense ever after, we have had "MEGA BIG DANGEROUS GUYS" since then.

Not even sure how factions that saw a giant sword stab their planet are fighting with each other over rocks, sure excuse for PvP but dear god, such eyeroll in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by SaLiSs View Post
    I quite like the faction conflict - does it make sense? Not really anymore. But ever since the beginning the factions have been war and they should be, it's cool.

The problem is how it's being written right now that it doesn't make that much sense anymore. Especially in the shadow of world ending threats.
    Weren't the world-ending threats present ever since the first Warcraft game? Honestly, I can't say what I'm less surprised by at this point - Alliance and Horde hating each other, or some third-party group of bad people coming to do whatever. But at the same time, I can't picture WoW without them. The fact we got an MMO and not Warcraft 4 makes me feel like the story hasn't performed as well as before.

Deleted
    Look at all those PVE'ers in this thread.

Faction War is a classic.

It creates PvP gameplay in the open world.

You are all just PVE'ers. Thats all.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    World of... Guess the rest.

But really, war between factions has always been the key and total war has never really happened because other things were going on.

Quote Originally Posted by taishar68 View Post
    It’s just a setup for the rest of the expac story, where we join together to fight the real threat: gingivitis.
    Totally off topic, but I so read that in Peter Griffin's voice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    I prefer the faction war over boring world-ending threats like the Legion and Old Gods.

The individual battles and events are just generally more interesting when it’s a faction war.

The faction war is ok by me but i just wish its not always the Horde who starts things off and the goodie goodie alliance gets to play the victim and ends up somewhat winning cause good always triumphs over evil which i fucking hate that trope.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I am pretty tired of the faction war as a plot element myself.
    Mistweaver Monk | Holy Priest

Does anyone ever truly win a war?

Deep thoughts man, deep.
    Prot Warrior 2004-2008. Hunter 2008-2018.
    Retired boomer.

"The faction war is forced"
    *Wants the two factions to come together in peace and harmony and forget 33 years of hatred, genocide and unprovoked attacks from both sides*

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    True enough but each expansion up until now has been essentially about how we are at war with something else that is not the opposite faction. In all other ways Blizzard undermines the whole idea.
    MoP sure felt like we were at war with the Horde quite a bit. Even the start of the expansion before it went all Garrosh was already impacted by strong Alliance vs. Horde themes.

Not to mention that everyone already knows that the current faction war was incited by the Old Gods to distract from their own evil doing, and over the duration of the expansion we'll go back to fighting the Old Gods and their minions. We won't exactly return to peace for sure, the relations between Horde and Alliance has already been quite strained throughout Legion, but there won't really be much active "war" anymore I'm sure (mostly because it makes for awkward asymmetric PvE content).