Restrict off-topic section to specific age of account to reduce alt accounts

You're not doing anything to stop people from continuously creating new accounts just to bash people. You need to do something about it, like restricting it so that accounts need to be a week old or even maybe a month old to be able to post there.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2018-05-27 at 12:41 PM.

Then the ban evaders would just create a bunch of accounts in advance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Souls View Post
    would be dedication!

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    would be dedication!
    True, but most of the ban evaders I've seen, if nothing else, are extremely dedicated and have way too much time on their hands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    You're not doing anything to stop people from continuously creating new accounts just to bash people. You need to do something about it, like restricting it so that accounts need to be a week old or even maybe a month old to be able to post there.
    I agree. The thread where people kept harping on you for now knowing what a die-in was, was pathetic. I imagine at least 2 of them were accounts used to evade bans since they had single digit post counts.

lol why are you even that bothered about it honestly

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like a step in the right direction. I suppose this kind of request would have to go above the mods to Chaud/Boub, or maybe even someone at Curse?

Quote Originally Posted by Souls View Post
    That strategy would only work for in the relatively near term. Especially coupled with IP bans.

With most forum software, you can look up an IP Address and match it to all user names that have it. As part of a ban, simply ban all user names that have the matching IP address.

"but what about VPNs and anonymizers?" you say?

Most webhosts have the ability (or automatically) to block those as well.

There is no such thing as a 100% solution, but a 95% solution is better than the free for all we have now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pum View Post
    lol why are you even that bothered about it honestly
    Because some of us have been regulars in OT for years and historically OT is actually a VERY good discussion forum. Well worth the time.

But in the last 18 months it's become a cesspool. A lot of the regulars who made it what it is are losing interest because the Mods won't take care of the spammers, trolls and bad faith posters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why not ask for a minimum post count? 50 or 100 posts before being able to post in OT. This way, it'll require actual efforts, which is much more demanding than pre-creating a few troll accounts too early.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archmage VoidElf4Life View Post
    Why not ask for a minimum post count? 50 or 100 posts before being able to post in OT. This way, it'll require actual efforts, which is much more demanding than pre-creating a few troll accounts too early.
    Lets make it 500

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    I might be wrong, cursed are 40 page restrictions... But didn't you join when some reddit sub was closed and directly went to Gen OT? That's what I remember, you were extremely toxic and I called you out on it. If I'm wrong I'm sorry, my memory failed me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lets make it 500
    The important thing here is to make sure alt accounts can be spotted . I don't know if 500 is a fair number, as this require quite a bit of investment - even more so for the more introverted users. But it mustn't be too easy either.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archmage VoidElf4Life View Post
    The important thing here is to make sure alt accounts can be spotted . I don't know if 500 is a fair number, as this require quite a bit of investment - even more so for the more introverted users. But it mustn't be too easy either.
    400 then??

10+ Year Old Account
    400 then??
    200 is better.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    200 is better.
    350 is better

10+ Year Old Account
    350 is better
    100 and 3 months old?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    It's not ethical to expose people's faults. Only scumbags and bitches do that.
    The right thing would be to try to stop the behaviour.
    What's wrong with him buying a home? Please don't pry into others' lives and make judgements.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by abracmike View Post
    100 and 3 months old?
    300 and 1 month old.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by abracmike View Post
    100 and 3 months old?
    Ok, on second thought slight revsion, 100 && 3 months old, or 400 posts. Which ever set comes first
    What's wrong with him buying a home? Please don't pry into others' lives and make judgements.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Yeah, let’s encourage shit posting in other areas!
    Well, it at least proves some dedication...

Puts the "Super" in Supermod Venara's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Hi all,

Thanks for all the feedback, we do appreciate your concerns. However, as Tziva recently explained here, we do not have the ability to conjure an army of qualified moderators who can keep the forum 100% evade free or free of bad posts at all times.

The Moderation Team is fairly small but they do an amazing job for the scale of the site. We do our best to moderate what we can with the team we have. This includes catching ban evades to the best of our ability and keeping a lot of the bad stuff off the forums. That may not always be apparent, but rest assured that the majority of evades are caught within a half an hour of being created or before they ever even post. Similarly, some of the truly bad stuff never actually hits the forums because it ends up in a moderation queue where we make sure those posts never see the light of day.

Having said that, we would ask that you respect that there are limits to our abilities. It's impossible to catch every evade and every single bad post. We cannot be in every thread at every time, policing them as they develop. There is probably not a single forum on the internet with a size comparable to ours where that is actually happening because the manpower requirements would be ridiculous.

Please continue to bring your concerns to the Global Mod team or use the "Contact Us" button to bring them straight to the admins. We may not be able to respond to all concerns individually, but we will read them and take them into consideration. Additionally, please continue to report posts using the reporting feature and, if you suspect a user is an evade account, do report them to us via direct message as well.

Again, we thank you for being so passionate about MMO-C and voicing your concerns. If anyone wants to join the team and help us fight the good fight, head over to https://www.mmo-champion.com/modapply.php and send us your application.

Venara
    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara