Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Most powerful type of magic

So lore-wise what's the most powerful type of magic? There seems to be elemental, arcane, nature, fel, void, light, and undeath... which is technically strongest?

If I had to guess I'd rank it like this:
    Void
    Fel
    Undeath
    Light
    Arcane
    Elemental
    Nature

According to the wiki ''Light and Shadow are the most fundamental forces in existence. Although contradictory by their very nature, they are bound together on a cosmic scale. Light manifests as holy magic, while Shadow (also called the Void) appears as shadow magic''

If light is so powerful, why does the most powerful/devout paladin we've seen so far (Tirion) get defeated by both Arthas and Guldan?

I don't think any of them are stronger than the others by themselves. They're meant to counter/balance/control one another by their nature.

What individuals are capable of doing with said powers is probably the more interesting discussion, albeit probably irrelevant to the different magics' inherent power.

Void/Light
    Fel/Arcane
    Nature/Undeath
    Elemental
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

Void magic is probably the most unstable of them all.

Since a "void titan" is theoretically the most powerful entity in the WoW universe, I'm gonna go ahead and say void.
    Last edited by Skirdus; 2018-05-28 at 05:40 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Light and void magic, I would imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads View Post
    If light is so powerful, why does the most powerful/devout paladin we've seen so far (Tirion) get defeated by both Arthas and Guldan?
    Prob because as individuals they turned out to be better magic users than him. Just because you can wield one of the most powerful magics in the universe, even if you do it well, that doesn't mean that you're the most powerful being in the universe.

Also, I assume that Velen is a better light magic user than Tirion, the same goes for Anduin, but Anduin is OP af.
    Last edited by ls-; 2018-05-28 at 05:39 AM.

Holy magic isn't explained very well in Warcraft. It isn't like most other magic where the user is the key to the strength, holy magic is based on faith, and it can abandon a user. All the other magic is simply summoned, except certain elemental.
    I forgot exactly how it goes, but mage who use fire are still technically using arcane magic, it's not the same as shaman using fire.

As for the most powerful... Probably arcane as its everywhere to be summoned, the other magics seem to have restrictions or caveats to their use.

I think the game wise it's whatever threat is being faced at the time becomes "most perilous" by default. So looking forward, Void/Light.

Lore wise, I think you're overestimating Fel (due to current "most perilous"), I think you're also underestimating light, as we've not really seen it yet.

They all counter balance so it's hard to pick a "strongest"

I think it's defined quite well on wowwiki

Void/Light in pure forms, manifested as Shadow/Holy in the physical realm
    Life/Death (Nature/Necro)
    Order/Chaos (Arcane/Fel)
    Elemental

So lore-wise what's the most powerful type of magic? There seems to be elemental, arcane, nature, fel, void, light, and undeath... which is technically strongest?

If I had to guess I'd rank it like this:
    Void
    Fel
    Undeath
    Light
    Arcane
    Elemental
    Nature
    100% same!

Light and Void are everywhere in the universe, so I'd go with that

Deleted
    Tirion is much more of a warrior then a priest. His connection to the light might be strong but its not a big part of his fighting.

Also when did he get defeated by arthas and guldan?

light is strong but 1 candle can't light whole world when sun goes down an darkness takes over

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Well Gul'dan summoned Krosus and Krosus did defeat Tirion. Arthas lost to Tirion, twice. The second time on his very seat of power. And he is not the strongest Light user at all, we have Velen around. And A'dal or X'era at their full power are probably monsters.
    right i mixed him up with another paladin. Paladins by their class alone are not the strongest light users though. They are half warrior half light user.

I doubt we have seen a physical manifestation of the strongest light users yet.

Also light is less destructive then most of the other magic forms so it tends to get underestimated

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by vipers View Post
    light is strong but 1 candle can't light whole world when sun goes down an darkness takes over
    Darkness is always there. But as soon as light emerges it always vanquishes darkness.

Light is per definition stronger then darkness

fel then shadow/holy with arcane/death being behind those 2.

fel is a mix of the 2 strongest types of magics.
    Last edited by lolskillzz; 2018-05-28 at 07:53 AM.

In game term anyway, it's light.
    Holy is the only type of magic against which there is no resistance.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    In game term anyway, it's light.
    Holy is the only type of magic against which there is no resistance.
    Pretty sure there are. We just never created any gear with holy resistance since what we have been facing in PvE has never really done holy damage to us.

Deleted
    would chaos be considered it's own school of magic? or because it consists of multiple kinds it doesn't really belong anywhere?

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Chaos_(spell_school)

but also, we mustn't forget about the most powerful of magic. Ron magic!