Light
    Void
    Fel
    Arcane
    Life
    Death
    Elemental

I imagine arcane.

Define most powerfull? Hell yeah fel and void can destroy stuff but come on how can u compare that to resurecting whole battlefield dead allies (hello BFA intro cinematic)

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    Pretty sure there are. We just never created any gear with holy resistance since what we have been facing in PvE has never really done holy damage to us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Holy Resistance potions did exist in TBC and anything that gives resist all gives Holy resistance as well.
    Weren't these potions more like a shield (a number of damage absorbed) than actual resistance ?
    Holy resistance wasn't even ever displayed on any part of the UI.

AFAIK, the only possible way to get any kind of reduced damage from holy is to have a percentage reduction of magic damage. "resistance" itself toward Holy doesn't (again AFAIK) even exist in the game (mage armor, which gave in the past a resistance toward all school of magic, didn't actually give holy resistance, for example).
    Last edited by Akka; 2018-05-28 at 10:30 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deldramar View Post
    Chaos has been ill-defined in terms of Post-WC3 Warcraft lore. However, since in WC3 it was the strongest, we could assume that if chaos is a thing, it is likely the most powerful.

"Chaos" thus far in WoW seems to be either nods to WC3's chaos damage, or edgy sounding abilities; we cannot even be sure it is defined as a magic type (to my knowledge).
    Chaos and fel is the same thing.

Deleted
    I think people overestimate the light and void greatly. Together they gave birth to the universe. Everything in it therefore is a result of them mixing. Fel is the purest form of this fusion. But the point is: How can either light or void be stronger than the two of them combined?

So fel is the biggest, meanest power. Likely followed by arcane. Hell, we've even seen the fel corrupt a void creature and Sargeras thought the light already defeated and really it was.
    Last edited by mmocb78b025c1c; 2018-05-28 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads View Post
    So lore-wise what's the most powerful type of magic? There seems to be elemental, arcane, nature, fel, void, light, and undeath... which is technically strongest?

If I had to guess I'd rank it like this:
    Void
    Fel
    Undeath
    Light
    Arcane
    Elemental
    Nature
    Undeath falls under Void/necromancy
    "Honor, young heroes. No matter how dire the battle, never forsake it."
    Varok Saurfang

10+ Year Old Account
    If light is so powerful, why does the most powerful/devout paladin we've seen so far (Tirion) get defeated by both Arthas and Guldan?
    Being mortal is most likely one of the reasons.

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty sure it's shadow/void and light.. Both are on each their end of the road.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    Arcane users may have access to time travel. Wouldn't that counter anything?

7+ Year Old Account
    According to Warcraft Chroncile: Volume I, Fel is super effective against Arcane.

If light is so powerful, why does the most powerful/devout paladin we've seen so far (Tirion) get defeated by both Arthas and Guldan?
    you shouldn't rank the powers of elements by the individual strength of a single user. Tirion wasn't even the strongest user of light we've seen

Likewise we see it placed on a similar level with void in almost any situation where void shows up, they go hand in hand as equal and opposite.

Arcane is a really weird magic, it's very utilitarian and can be used for many things

It can be used to manipulate time, it can grant pseudo-immortality by extended wielders lifespan quite dramatically, even undeath is achievable via arcane, it can also be "shaped" to create fire and frost spells, and many more things.

I wonder if other magic types are simply not that well researched. I mean, Arcane has been used and STUDIED for millennia by elves, humans, etc, but when it comes to something like Fel or even Light, they're fairly underutilised or its users are very narrow-minded.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deldramar View Post
    Interesting. I stand corrected then.
    At least thats my impression of it. i'm not sure if its directly written anywhere but to me it seems that everything that was Chaos in wc3 basicly just became fel in wow.

The fact that blizzard isnt 100% consistent in this is a little weird though. With stuff like chaos nova still existing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggsy View Post
    Undeath falls under Void/necromancy
    Shadow related magic always confused me in WoW tbh. Like the shadow magic you see on DKs/Arthas looks and feels quite different from the shadow magic we see on void elves and also shadow priests. I never saw any tentacles coming out of my DK at least.

So does void (tentacles, old gods), unholy/undeath (DKs), warlock shadow magic, all fall under 'shadow' lore-wise? My best guess would be that void is the original version of shadow magic with other sub-categories like unholy being branched from it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nayami View Post
    Shadow related magic always confused me in WoW tbh. Like the shadow magic you see on DKs/Arthas looks and feels quite different from the shadow magic we see on void elves and also shadow priests. I never saw any tentacles coming out of my DK at least.

So does void (tentacles, old gods), unholy/undeath (DKs), warlock shadow magic, all fall under 'shadow' lore-wise? My best guess would be that void is the original version of shadow magic with other sub-categories like unholy being branched from it.
    One is necromancy the other is void magic i believe

Why does a Karate fighter with 1 year experience lose to someone who does Wing Chun for 20+ years? Clearly not because Karate is inferior to Wing Chun. It is because the guy that does it for more than 20 years is better than the rookie doing Karate for 1 year.

Kinda strange example. But just because you use the most powerful magic type doesn't mean you are unbeatable by other creatures that use different (inferior) magic types.
    Or in short, Tirion fucking sucks, and Arthas/Guldan owned him.

Deleted

10+ Year Old Account
    void magic is the most powerful source of magic in the wow universe, that being said it is also the most chaotic and the hardest to control (in lore), whereas arcane is the strongest form of magic that is controllable, the arcane permeates everything in the wow universe and in the hands of a true master is even more powerful than the fel (which in many sources of media is touted as the polar opposite of the arcane).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    void magic is the most powerful source of magic in the wow universe, that being said it is also the most chaotic and the hardest to control (in lore), whereas arcane is the strongest form of magic that is controllable, the arcane permeates everything in the wow universe and in the hands of a true master is even more powerful than the fel (which in many sources of media is touted as the polar opposite of the arcane).
    "void magic is the most powerful source of magic in the wow universe, that being said it is also the most chaotic and the hardest to control (in lore)" source?
    " whereas arcane is the strongest form of magic that is controllable" Source?
    "in the hands of a true master is even more powerful than the fel" Source?

It used to be there there was everything else playing off each other, and then there was Light. But now it seems we're playing pokemons with different sources of magic...