Poll: Alterac Valley Version

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    This is why classic is going to be hard to implement, people are going to want those long battles, but the community is so different now, alot more reward oriented players, well not that we didn't do stuff for the reward, but it was on a different scale and more long term, so the frontloaded reward wasn't as important.

Also, those long av matches, it's not only sunshine and butterflies, like I'm sure if the same amount of players were afk in todays av it would also take a fair amount of time to complete still. Hell, my first many AV's I didn't pvp at all, I was out exploring!

I mean at one point, my mate and I, taped drumsticks to our fans, placed our keyboards up against the wall, so that the fan would rotate, and hit the space button with the drumstick to avoid afk flag when we went to school, hiding in bushes for hours, only jumping using a selfmade 'bot'. We had fun making it work, but we were essentially just botting AV, while we weren't able to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    This... fuck 1.10 - we need those elites etc
    Yeah the more and strong NPC's the better.
    I was just looking over past patch notes and noticed AV went really down the drain from 1.10 onwards ...
    Think there were mine fields at one point in AV also, would be cool to have them back.
    Gives Rogues some extra class fantasy also.

Deleted
    It doesn't matter which version you want. People know it's better to rush the boss so they even do it on the Pserver ones, you're not gonna get a weekend long AV anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Theprejudice View Post
    It doesn't matter which version you want. People know it's better to rush the boss so they even do it on the Pserver ones, you're not gonna get a weekend long AV anymore
    I rather farm Alliance at IB GY, rushing on Horde is bound to fail.
    And if more Horde uses our ancient old tactic, Alliance is not rushing anywhere either.

It's even so funny that Alliance once boycotted Alterac Valley, complaining about how "unfair" it was when Horde defended IB Grave Yard.
    Blizzard gave into Alliance tears and moved Horde portal way down so Alliance could rush again and get easy wins.
    Because heaven forbid Horde Winning AV, that is just Blasphemy !

Yet nothing was ever done to the over powered Alliance Bridge with two bunkers covering it.
    Or the Alliance bottleneck at Storm Pike GY.
    Last edited by Hunterwep; 2018-05-09 at 03:15 PM.

I don't remember doing any of the 24+ hour ones but I was happy with the ones that took 4-5 hours after getting home from school.

...only trouble now is I don't have 4-5 hours for an AV but I still want them available

High Overlord
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trickname View Post
    ...only trouble now is I don't have 4-5 hours for an AV but I still want them available
    Yeah I'm in the same boat, it's more casual now. I'd play more in the weekend perhaps but not during the week.

10+ Year Old Account
    The "never ending" AV's were indeed legendary and I miss them everytime I do todays AV. More stuff, NPCs, Quests etc is of course a good thing!
    • Diablo Immortal is the most misunderstood and underrated game of all time!
    • Blizzard, please, give us some end-game focused Classic servers, where you start at max level!
    • Serious Completionist: 100% OW Achievements, 100% D3 Achievements, 90% Immortal Achievements, 99% ATT Classic, ~90% ATT Retail

10+ Year Old Account
    Pre 1.8 AV is the only true AV. Hoping that version comes back.

I always liked having Korrak ontop of Snowfall more than down in the field of strife.

So id vote for the 1.8 AV.

Players fault then.

If you want long AV's, then defend, it's that simple, there is no benefit to rushing other than faster honor / rep, the marks aren't as neccessary as they were in BC / Wotlk to buy items.

15+ Year Old Account
    Are the snowballs still present in current AV when christmas comes around? coz if not thats the only thing i want to come back just to fuck with people.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

posty post AV all day

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunterwep View Post
    I stand corrected and that is so cool
    Recently (like i mean in wod) the factions both failed their initial push and turtled, so while about 10 people of each faction were defending tyheir main base, the others were all actually doing the place it was pretty cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Deleted
    of course the hardcore version that lasted for days

Maybe. But consider also that the pirate server population is much smarter than your average wow player. There is a pretty big "intelligence filter" in discovering the existence of the pirate server & figuring out how to register, download and install it. An official vanilla AV would have less intelligent people in it that will not play it as well.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powrprincess View Post
    I played AV back then, and I thoroughly enjoyed playing for hours, 6 to 9 hours at max so I could win. That said, I suppose a cap isn't needed as guilds can organize faster AV runs. I'm just worrying a bit I can't finish av as I won't play that late anymore. But I guess many people will have the same thought as me.
    My general thinking is today's blizzard isn't going to make something geared towards someone who plays more than an hour at a time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Trickname View Post
    I don't remember doing any of the 24+ hour ones but I was happy with the ones that took 4-5 hours after getting home from school.

bingo - blizz assumes their former playerbase has less time, and they may well be, on average, very correct.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Start with original, change it to nerfed when AQ lands.

Getting mauled by Korrak was a right of passage

Old endless AV was the bomb. Loved it.