Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pyro989898 View Post
    If a white guy is acting as Martin Luther King Jr in a movie , then it example of "white wash". At least don't display history in wrong way.
    You mean like:
    Troy series with black guy acting as Achilles, an African-Polish mix race woman acting as ethnically French national hero Joan of arc and Margaret queen of England, which is being acted by a mix-raced woman.
    ????

Deleted
    It worked well for the Michael Jackson movie too :P

Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    You mean like:
    Troy series with black guy acting as Achilles, an African-Polish mix race woman acting as ethnically French national hero Joan of arc and Margaret queen of England, which is being acted by a mix-raced woman.
    ????
    if you don't know what whitewashing in hollywood is ,then search meaning of it.
    What are you trying to state by mentioning who played what character in some TV series or movie show ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pyro989898 View Post
    if you don't know what whitewashing in hollywood is ,then search meaning of it.
    What are you trying to state by mentioning who played what character in some TV series or movie show ?
    If its not ok for a white guy to play MLK then black people should not be playing white historical figures.
    It goes both ways.
    Seeing its fine for black people to play white historical figures I am sure no one is giong to object to a white guy playing MLK.

That being said, i think its both stupid. White historical figures should be played by white people and MLK should be played by Idris Elba (my favorite actor of all time).

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    "But anyone can play any character!!!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    That would be stupid, and not remotely equivalent.
    Oh yes, please do elaborate. Because white? That'd be racist. So please come up with something else.
    -=Z=- Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek! -=Z=-
    https://bdsmovement.net/

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slaskel View Post
    His skin colour in relation to the skin colour of others is most certainly a fundamental part of the story. Of course white people can fight against other white people's oppression, but for MLK being a part of the community he fights for is the basis of the story.
    His skin color and its relation to that of others is IRRELEVANT to anyone but racists.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    In historically accurate movies white people shouldn't be played by colored people and vice versa. In adaptations like musicals it's often ok (see Hamilton) as it's already not accurate (I'm pretty sure the founding fathers didn't go around singing all day).

It bothers me when they throw in token colored people in movies about medieval Europe where there were none in reality. It also bothers me that a white guy played a moor in Othello. It would bother me if a white guy played Black Panther or a black guy played Captain America, because that's not the race they originally were.

If colored people get upset about having too few parts, write something NEW with colored people in it. Plenty of examples and it works wonders. No need to blackwash characters to please a minority.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shaunika123 View Post
    wait

which king arthur movie had him have a black friend?

was he like a moor or what?

but still, arthur is entirely fictional so him having a black friend is technically buyable.
    there were black people around there afterall. even if not many.

it's still not the same as a real life character. and it's not even arthur but his friend who's black.

arthur being black would be ofc different.
    One in the 90s had Eddie murfy in I think will have to look up the name, was a horrid americanisation of British legend but that's a sperate issue.

Well king Arthur's legbd isn't entirely myth but based on a few Kings who ruled in the post roman pre saxon period of Britain.

I guess the strangeness of it depends, the story's about the hawaian gods are fictional myths too but would you cast a non hawaian in that role?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    His skin color and its relation to that of others is IRRELEVANT to anyone but racists.
    So a movie where MLK is of Chinese heritage, fighting for the rights of his kind, which actually turn out in the movie are actually Peruvians, in an America where black people fight against rights for black people (but they're actually not black in the movie, cause they're Peruvians) would not be confusing to you? Alrighty then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Advocatus Diaboli View Post
    I guess the strangeness of it depends, the story's about the hawaian gods are fictional myths too but would you cast a non hawaian in that role?
    Only non hawaian for obvious reasons. Gods were not born in Hawai, were they?

- - - Updated - - -

So a movie where MLK is of Chinese heritage, fighting for the rights of his kind, which actually turn out in the movie are actually Peruvians, in an America where black people fight against rights for black people (but they're actually not black in the movie, cause they're Peruvians) would not be confusing to you? Alrighty then.
    No, because I understand the point of the story. Oppressed group of people is fighting against the oppressors. We've seen it a plethora of times in different movies. Focusing on MLK blackness is RACIST.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    Right he was buds with Lancelot

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moriaen

(Get Dunked)
    Hu I knew there was a Moor involved in the myth somewhere just not as a buddy of Arthur as was shown in the movie.

What about the Moor in the last Robin Hood stuff?

Deleted
    No, because I understand the point of the story. Oppressed group of people is fighting against the oppressors. We've seen it a plethora of times in different movies. Focusing on MLK blackness is RACIST.
    Mmkay mate, personally I'd prefer a more consistent movie over pushing an agenda, but I realize this is subject is really triggering for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Well the BBC has a documentary depicting black Celts, and this is meant to be educational.

King Arthur, in a documentary, would not have known any Africans considering he was a warlord from Cornwall and Devon.
    If you haven't, check out the earlier episodes of that rubbish; there's an episode about the dawn of the Iron Age in Britain, in which the village blacksmith is a black dude. Made me cringe into a migraine.

OT: I can settle this, we get Shaun King to do it. He's totally black you guys: https://twitter.com/ShaunKing

10+ Year Old Account
    Mmkay mate, personally I'd prefer a more consistent movie over pushing an agenda, but I realize this is subject is really triggering for you.
    You have a right to prefer whatever you wish, but this topic is not about personal preferences, but rather would you be ok with other people's preferences if they make a movie based on them or would you make a fuss about it?

Deleted
    You have a right to prefer whatever you wish, but this topic is not about personal preferences, but rather would you be ok with other people's preferences if they make a movie based on them or would you make a fuss about it?
    Oh I'm not American so I don't care about the obsession with skin colour. I don't make a fuss about any movies, I just think that OPs examples weren't very good since I believe there is a difference between MLK being white and Achilles being black. Just like I think there would be a difference between a KKK grand wizard being black and Blade being white.

But I don't really care, if someone wants to make a movie where MLK is white and someone else wants to watch it, go ahead. I generally don't see any point in being outraged about shit that don't really affect my life.

Deleted
    I mean, I'm thinking anything dealing with King Arthur is going to be dealing with the myth and legend, as you've said most people aren't even sure if he actually existed or not, so this response feels a tad pedantic.

It's possible you're coming from an earnest place here, but the point with the OP remains, having MLK played by a white man would be disrespectful because race is key to his identity because he was literally an activist for black rights, having him played by a white actor would not only be bizarre in any kind of narrative they attempt to tell, but it would be kind of disrespectful in a 'white savior' kind of way.

It's not remotely comparable to the political connotations to having black people play long dead nobility in Europe, characters that were previously white but are fictional, or people in medieval fantasy settings.

I have concerns whether the OP was doing this in good faith, and whether they were more just trying to get people to feel wronged because there might be more opportunities in this case for non-white actors than for white actors because of recent cultural backlash addressing years and years and years of discrimination in the entertainment industry.
    There's some anecdotal evidence that part of the myth is tied up with History of the ancient short lived Kingdom of rheghed

Deleted
    No it's not racism. Seriously do you even know what the word "racism" means ? One can focus on a color of another person all they want to and it is not racism until said focus implies implies or other wise states that that color makes the person inferior in some way or otherwise discriminate against that person because of the color of the skin.

There are people with different skin colors in the world, acknowledging it is not racism, pretending its not the case is stupid.

OT:
    Yes changing skin color of historical figures or groups for no reason is actually bad move, especially in movies that are supposed to be at least partially factually correct. Making movie about Queen Margaret or Joan of Arc and dismissing their ethnicity is actually disrespecting them. It would not be big deal if a movie was "inspired by something" like the story of mentioned figures but was ultimately not about them in historical sense, then anything goes. I do not know what is the case in mentioned movies though.

Quote Originally Posted by Trifle View Post
    Err.. Robert Downer Jr didn't pull off a black guy, he specifically pulled off a white guy acting as a black guy. He still got a bunch of flack for that role, but I don't think that was deserved as the character existed specifically to highlight how racist it was.
    I don't care what anyone says, it was funny.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#74f37e295d49

I think this is somewhat fitting with this thread.

The logical leaps...