Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Get ultrawide monitor now or wait?

Okay.. I'm losing my mind here!

I simply cannot decide what the hell I should do

Get the Acer Predator X34P - P comes with the new panels and is 120hz or should I wait for the new ultrawides that is aimed to be released at December having 200hz, new tech and such.

The price for the X34P is around 1.330$ in my Country and the new monitors are at the price range of 2000$ as minimum.

For me, it all comes down to the hz. I got a 1080 Ti. I play WoW and Battlefield 1(and soon V). My current monitor is PG279Q 144hz.

What to do ????

2000$ is the 27 inch version the 34 inch will cost around 3000-3500$.
    So i would wait for 34 inch version and get one on release.

You won't even be able to take advantage of 200hz with current video cards at that resolution. Even 120hz tends to be higher headroom. My 1080ti pumps roughly 60-90 frames in most modern games to my x34. Rarely do I see higher than that and even with the new gen we aren't going to be seeing 200fps@3440x1440 for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    2000$ is the 27 inch version the 34 inch will cost around 3000-3500$.
    So i would wait for 34 inch version and get one on release.
    The thing is, you say +3000 USD? That's 3 times the price of the X34P. Is +2000$ worth the 200hz / new panels? I highly doubt it no? It sounds a bit crazy in my ears to be honest.

1.330$ vs. +3000 usd?

I bet you spend near 2000$ on your monitor and gpu so why is 3000$ now crazy ?

Keep in mind new Nvidia cards are coming out this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    I bet you spend near 2000$ on your monitor and gpu so why is 3000$ now crazy ?
    3000 USD for a single monitor?! Of course that is crazy, come on man!

Paid 800 USD for my PG279Q.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry if this is a dumb question but...

If you have a ultrawide monitor, would a game need to have a FoV slider for it to make use of it's size?
    And if so, and the game doesn't have a FoV slider, would that mean it's either stretched or set to a fixed resolution with black bars on the side?

Quote Originally Posted by Xofa View Post
    3000 USD for a single monitor?! Of course that is crazy, come on man!

Paid 800 USD for my PG279Q.
    I dont think you know what the x27 is, its 4k 144hz 1000 nits with 384 zone local dimming (more than high end tv's).
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16824011229

Thats the best monitor on the market til we get micro led or oled.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just buy a 50" flatscreen 4kHD and use that instead. Few hundred bucks at Wal-Mart, and works just grand.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutri View Post

If you have a ultrawide monitor, would a game need to have a FoV slider for it to make use of it's size?
    And if so, and the game doesn't have a FoV slider, would that mean it's either stretched or set to a fixed resolution with black bars on the side?
    I’m not an expert but I believe the game has to have a built in support for ultra wide.

FOV has nothing to do with the resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    I dont think you know what the x27 is, its 4k 144hz 1000 nits with 384 zone local dimming (more than high end tv's).
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16824011229

Thats the best monitor on the market til we get micro led or oled.
    I do know what it is, but I got absolute no idea why you people start referring to 4k display when I'm not even talking about that? The question was ultrawide monitor 200hz vs. my current PG279Q 144hz. 3440x1440 / 1440p

I don't care about 4k display. And I don't care if they cost 5000 USD for a 15 inch display.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutri View Post

Most games just add extra pixels(increasing FoV), but competitive games do tend to force 16:9 resolution, so either you have black bars or cut the picture from the top and the bottom.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by babyback View Post
    I’m not an expert but I believe the game has to have a built in support for ultra wide.

FOV has nothing to do with the resolution.
    I have a triple monitor setup and without FoV whenever I'm playing a game in widescreen the outer monitors will just curve out tremendously making it look as if you where playing with a fisheye lens.

I do know what it is, but I got absolute no idea why you people start referring to 4k display when I'm not even talking about that? The question was ultrawide monitor 200hz vs. my current PG279Q 144hz. 3440x1440 / 1440p

I don't care about 4k display. And I don't care if they cost 5000 USD for a 15 inch display.
    Because the conversation you were having with the guy was referencing the 34" version of the x27. If you are looking for an upgrade to your current monitor x27 is it, there are no ultrawides that can compare.

Because the conversation you were having with the guy was referencing the 34" version of the x27. If you are looking for an upgrade to your current monitor x27 is it, there are no ultrawides that can compare.
    Correct me if im wrong but you were the one who started the x27 talk?

Correct me if im wrong but you were the one who started the x27 talk?
    No, the first commenter referenced it. You were curious why monitors can cost 3000 dollars when your pg279q was only 800, i linked the x27 so you are aware of why they are so expensive. Ultrawide is a super niche market, i doubt we will be seeing any high quality local dimming ultrawides any time soon.

No, the first commenter referenced it. You were curious why monitors can cost 3000 dollars when your pg279q was only 800, i linked the x27 so you are aware of why they are so expensive. Ultrawide is a super niche market, i doubt we will be seeing any high quality local dimming ultrawides any time soon.
    Ahhh I see now. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sgthotrod View Post
    Keep in mind new Nvidia cards are coming out this fall.
    He meant this summer - July you will be able to get Founder's Edition cards, after market cards will have to wait until Aug/Sep.

Quote Originally Posted by muSPK View Post
    He meant this summer - July you will be able to get Founder's Edition cards, after market cards will have to wait until Aug/Sep.
    Based on what?

There is nothing concrete about anything else than Nvidia talking about their next gen mainstream is on August 20th at Hot Chips 30. And if that is the first time we will hear from their next gen, it will likely be late fall for board partner cards.