Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Firefall View Post
    ...source? Because they said the opposite before.
    Source: Blizzard.

They have said multiple times that the mage tower skins will not be obtainable. Like Challenge Mode Dungeon weapons of WoD and Armor in MoP.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    It would not shock me if they revamp all the talents and skills and spells which trivializes the mage tower and still allow people to collect the challenge skins for a month or so before actually turning it off. Its exactly something Blizzard would do. They start out with a hardline attitude of cutting it off for BfA, then walk that back and allow people to still get them until September. Its best to have a 110 of every class JUST to be sure.

The people who actually got it the hard way will cry, and the people who had the foresight to get every class to 110 in anticipation of the usual "surprise" get rewarded.
    They won't back off on it. They are this expacks challenge mode. They didn't backed off on challenge mode deadlines in the past, no reason to expect them to do so now.

Quote Originally Posted by netherflame View Post
    I guess the next question then is, do we know when the prepatch will end up being?
    Quote Originally Posted by That guy maybe View Post
    We don't have an official date, but it's normally 3-4 weeks before expansion launch. So around mid-July.
    If we go by Legion it's even earlier, since Legion prepatch was launched 19th July and the expansion itself 30th august, which would put it at the beginning of July.

Meanwhile the Tower is available 3 days out of every 10/12 because reasons.

_Salty_

I hate when they cut off content for whatever reason. Make it scale down players level, make it harder, idc, just don't remove shit like this.

The Patient
    5+ Year Old Account
    i really hate the mage tower because it doesn't represent any real situation in the game at all

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    Artifact traits aren't going to be disabled, your artifact is going to be "depowered" which is a story only thing. Artifacts won't be done with until BfA.
    Not true weapons will become flat stat sticks without the bells and whistles with the pre patch. One way we know this for sure is the talent changes come with the pre patch, many weapon abilities are becoming talent choices or baked in abilities. We will still use them of course just less extra features.

As for the mage tower you have about a month so 3 to 4 mage tower windows. Pre patches come out historically 4 to 6 weeks prior to launch.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrinx View Post

_Salty_
    This right here.

Honestly, up until the cutoff, the MT should be open 24/7. But Blizzard is so stuck on their stupid MAU farming, content stretching horseshit that they end up hating fun. Or rather, you can have fun, but only if you jump through all Blizzard's hoops first. Which amounts to the same thing. :/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kavoo View Post
    I hate when they cut off content for whatever reason. Make it scale down players level, make it harder, idc, just don't remove shit like this.
    Also this.

Things like the MT and MoP challenge modes should remain in the game indefinitely, especially now that scaling tech is a thing. All those times between raids, or while waiting for the next big content patch and people start unsubbing out of boredom..... That would be the PERFECT time to be able to go back and work on those challenges.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SensationalBanana View Post
    We don't know if it'll happen with the pre-patch or with the actual release August 14, but one of those = when the mage tower goes away.
    8.0 is when they go away. That's when the squish and spell changes/etc go live.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by ramayana1423 View Post
    They won't back off on it. They are this expacks challenge mode. They didn't backed off on challenge mode deadlines in the past, no reason to expect them to do so now.
    The crying for past challenge modes wasnt as big tho.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavoo View Post
    Having limited time rewards ensures that people play the game now, rather than years and years down the line.

Not a chance in hell that they'll do away with this model now that they no longer count subs for positive numbers. People will just have to suck it up and decide if it's worth their time or if they can afford to lose out. There's a ton of content and rewards not tied behind the system.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by J Lee View Post
    i really hate the mage tower because it doesn't represent any real situation in the game at all
    ... The Mage Tower represents the Mage Tower questlines and challenges... They're a spiced up Proving grounds for solo challenges.

Very much real, and very much a thing you either beat, or don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The crying for past challenge modes wasnt as big tho.
    Crying for MOP cms was pretty loud. To the point they gave recoloured MOP sets from Class Halls.

It'll probably be when 8.0 goes live, wide sweeping changes to the classes and how their played always go live with the pre-patches. The tower challenges are tuned for Legion version of the classes, so it makes sense that with the large changes that the tower goes down. Honestly though, don't put it off till the last couple of weeks. Unless you're only missing one or two you're going to miss a lot of the skins.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrinx View Post

_Salty_
    Besides the destroyed down-time, the up-time is pretty largely controlled by players funneling resources into construction. I anticipate that once we have a better timetable of when the prepatch launches players will flood it with resources to rebuild whenever it leaves the destroyed period.

There will inevitably be a last second rush of players trying to get them in the final weeks.

I'm mostly just glad that I currently only have 6 left and all of those specs are ready to go when the tower is up and I have time. If we really do only have 4-5 more chances I should be able to finish.

Considering just passing on the guardian druid one though. I've had a lot of trouble with it the past two rounds and will likely be changing my Tauren druid over to Zandalari for their forms anyway.
    Last edited by Fritters154; 2018-06-01 at 12:11 AM.

Having limited time rewards ensures that people play the game now, rather than years and years down the line.

Not a chance in hell that they'll do away with this model now that they no longer count subs for positive numbers. People will just have to suck it up and decide if it's worth their time or if they can afford to lose out. There's a ton of content and rewards not tied behind the system.
    Pretty much this.

Blizzard is interested in generating MAUs now, not in creating quality, lasting content for WoW. They want you on that treadmill NOW, not popping in and out of the game.

Wait. You're telling me there are mage tower skins people care about that they don't have yet? I don't understand that. And I don't understand the crying about not having the tower up 24/7. How many days of attempts do you need?

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    It will be removed in the Pre-patch, before the August launch.

No idea about the exact day tho.

... The Mage Tower represents the Mage Tower questlines and challenges... They're a spiced up Proving grounds for solo challenges.

Very much real, and very much a thing you either beat, or don't.
    You don't really believe that, right? Right?

The Mage Tower rewards will be removed so that people buy the game / pay their subs NOW, increasing the /played too. Not this "it's a prestigious challenge" thing - we have years and years of hard, challenging games that don't remove their stuff. It's just a tactic to make you play now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trend View Post
    Wait. You're telling me there are mage tower skins people care about that they don't have yet? I don't understand that. And I don't understand the crying about not having the tower up 24/7. How many days of attempts do you need?
    This. If you care at all about this you have it by now. And seriously, it's ONE appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Bennett View Post

That's a rather short-sighed view for a subscription based game
    But that's just it. They don't use subscriptions as a measurement of success or profitability anymore. It's all about MAUs and things like gold token and cash shop sales. Services like server transfers and race changes.

Creating limited time content like the mage tower gets people to not just resub from fear of missing out(as though that wasn't bad enough psychological manipulation), but it forces them to spend time gearing up, maybe buying gold tokens to help with that.

I'm sure there's lots more research and data tracking to justify it from their end, otherwise they wouldn't be doing it. And if you believe that crap about it being "A badge of honor for having been there", then I've got some nice oceanfront property with a view to sell you.