Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsgrace View Post
    Unfortunately, it can't be 100% true. I've sadly met and known some quite intelligent people, who have turn out to be Racist, we're not talking Card carrying members of the KKK, or some Neo-Nazi group, but you don't have to be that blatant to be a racist.
    The study has r values for the correlation between g and prejudice ranging between 0.17 and 0.29. I don't see R^2 reported there - one wonders why, given that this is obviously a multivariate analysis. Put another way, they found that prejudice and racism are pretty close to uncorrelated. It's statistically significant, but that low of a correlation implies a very small effect size.

Unfortunately, titles like "we found almost nothing" don't make good sales pitches and the level of rigor in social sciences is pretty unimpressive.
    Last edited by Spectral; 2018-05-31 at 11:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems like a ludicrous study, as racist people have been creating complex systems to persecute minorities for centuries.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Life View Post
    Seems like a ludicrous study, as racist people have been creating complex systems to persecute minorities for centuries.
    Perhaps the point is that an average being lower does not preclude the most intelligent in the group being intelligent

Edit: Also: read Spectrals posts..

Why am I not surprised your sources are less than reputable? The Daily Sheeple? Seriously?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Kobayashi View Post
    Who's talking about the Mueller investigation? Like always when being wrong, you move goalposts...
    By the way, which evidence are you talking about?

-edit-
    I can post thousands of links where the media, the DNC willfully misrepresent what Trump says or does. But hey, it doesn't exist.
    Really? Post one, where the DNC made up shit about what Trump said. I fucking dare you.

It's a BS claim to demean racists. Whether you believe racists deserve to be demeaned is a side issue, but that's the fact of the matter. You simply cannot delve into somebody's intelligence capacities based on whether they have racist views. It's nonsensical. It sounds good because most people hate racists, but it is non-logical when you look at the claim objectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadinquiry View Post
    It's a BS claim to demean racists. Whether you believe racists deserve to be demeaned is a side issue, but that's the fact of the matter. You simply cannot delve into somebody's intelligence capacities based on whether they have racist views. It's nonsensical. It sounds good because most people hate racists, but it is non-logical when you look at the claim objectively.
    Considering your defense of Roseanne and pushing conspiracy bullshit, you are part of that less intelligent part of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadinquiry View Post
    You can't draw any inherent patterns of behavior based on skin color. Race ain't even a quantitative property but a bunch of variable approximations based on misunderstanding of biology.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlon View Post
    You can't draw any inherent patterns of behavior based on skin color. Race ain't even a quantitative property but a bunch of variable approximations based on misunderstanding of biology.
    Racism isn't about skin color. I am just as pale as many white people but there's still racism against me from white people when I've studied in Australia and when I visited USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Racism isn't about skin color. I am just as pale as many white people but there's still racism against me from white people when I've studied in Australia and when I visited USA.
    Tell that to Americans.

Deleted
    What about the idea that less intelligent people are more open about being racists and to act on it while the more intelligent ones keep it mostly to themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by Arlon View Post
    Tell that to Americans.
    They don't think racism is only about skin color.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    They don't think racism is only about skin color.
    It's certainly a major component. I also added the part of other bunch of variable approximations based on misunderstanding of biology. There's basically zero cultural differentiation there, everyone is either lumped into "Asian", "Latino", "Black" and "White" by either skin color or other arbitrary visual traits. It's nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    Considering your defense of Roseanne and pushing conspiracy bullshit, you are part of that less intelligent part of the country.
    Still upset and reactionary I see? So offended and upset over what members have said to you in the past. What a poor life you must lead. You don't even know which country I live in btw.

I would be interested in seeing a study like this done on an international scale. East Asians have the highest IQs in the world and their societies tend to be quite racist by Western standards. Although, East Asians in Western countries quickly conform to the non-racist setting so perhaps it is a cultural trait more than anything.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    I would be interested in seeing a study like this done on an international scale. East Asians have the highest IQs in the world and their societies tend to be quite racist by Western standards. Although, East Asians in Western countries quickly conform to the non-racist setting so perhaps it is a cultural trait more than anything.
    I think the simple explanation for that is: it's only racism when white people do it

Not sure why a study needed to be done to determine that.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    I think the simple explanation for that is: it's only racism when white people do it
    This book really drove that point home for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    A high IQ doesn't always = better in every way. It's one thing to be able to memorize and repeat things but it's something else entirely to think outside the box, be creative and be your own person. Like you said, Culture plays a big role.

Quote Originally Posted by Khelek View Post
    People have fear responses based on their threat assessment of a situation. Evolution has given most people an in-group preference, since mankind has been warring for thousands of years. Racists are either born or conditions to view those outside their group as an extreme threat. Due to low intelligence, the level of threat posed is misconstrued beyond reality.

The converse is also a sign of low intelligence. Some people are, to a greater or lesser extent, completely blind to real threats. Interestingly, modern brain scanning techniques have yielded some intriguing results. Through stimulation of certain parts of the brain, people can become less religious and more open to others different from themselves and conversely they can be made more cautions and timid in their interactions with others.

Human evolution has walked a fine balance between the benefits of social interaction in the form of trade and cooperation and the risk of exposing oneself and their family/tribe to violence or to being taken advantage of.

I'll quote the sage Greg House, M.D.

Three cavemen see a stranger running towards them with a spear. One fights, one flees, one smiles and invites him over for fondue. That last guy didn't last long enough to procreate.
    Meanwhile, in 2018, the fondue guy is laughing at the people pointing out the guy with the spear and pretending he's less intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    A high IQ doesn't always = better in every way. It's one thing to be able to memorize and repeat things but it's something else entirely to think outside the box, be creative and be your own person. Like you said, Culture plays a big role.
    g measures far more than this.