Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Sorry but there's no solid justification to enforce censorship on the press because less than 1% copycat kill, this is just more hand-waving the real issues away and frankly that's tedious

- - - Updated - - -

That's just rhubarb - This change would make next to no possitive change
    I'm personally not suggesting legislation. I've been arguing for people writing to advertisers to tell them that they don't support the way in which news media report on these issues and they if continue to run their ads for those outlets, they can no longer support their brand. This is pure capitalism. Advertisers still have the right to run their ads. Media outlets still have the right to report however they want. But the people also have the right to inform these companies on how they will spend their money. If companies are influenced by this and stop running their ads, no one's rights are being infringed on. If new outlets then change the way they report on mass shootings because of this, again, no one's rights are being infringed on. That's how things should work.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Their identity will be exposed no matter who redacts it. They will still have their "fame" because of the level of crime they committed. While every major new station may redact the information, social media and smaller outlets will chime in.

Copycat crimes is an actual issue, but the main factor's behind these mass murders is the sheer mental instability to simply kill a bunch of strangers. They can copy the means of others knowing how effective they were, copy from a movie (yes it had happened), or come up with the method of their own.
    There's a difference between a person being known and spreading it out making them popular.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Plenty of people are household names. I know who Martha Stewart is for example
    wuh?

/10chars

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Cultist View Post
    wuh?

/10chars
    Famous person who committed a crime which if I remember right was insider trading. She was a household name. Where. Are the Martha inside traders?

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    What kind of dumbass children have never heard of Brenda Spencer?
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

Famous person who committed a crime which if I remember right was insider trading. She was a household name. Where. Are the Martha inside traders?
    That's very different from the argument I was making.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Sorry but if a criminal (100% guilty) commits a crime he should be publicly known. This copycat killer excuse is weak, school shootings are not happening because of the media, if that was true school killings would be common worldwide
    Except psychiatrist disagree and even the motives behind some of the school shooters point to the most famous Columbine Shooters who staged their attack to rival the OKC bombing.

You can even see it in teen suicides. There is a spike when there is a high profile suicide.
    Last edited by petej0; 2018-06-01 at 06:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's very different from the argument I was making.
    Who is inspiring the rapists of the world? Is it bill cosby? Havey weinstein? Who the hell heard of Weinstein before the #metoo thing? Who is inspiring the murderers of the world? When parents are on the news for torturing their kids, where are the copy cats?

Who is inspiring the rapists of the world? Is it bill cosby? Havey weinstein? Who the hell heard of Weinstein before the #metoo thing? Who is inspiring the murderers of the world? When parents are on the news for torturing their kids, where are the copy cats?
    I genuinely can't tell if you are serious or just taking the piss. The people you just mentioned were people who were already household names or people in positions of power who were covered in the news for so long specifically because they committed these crimes while already being famous or influential.

These shooters are people who no one in the world knew until they committed their crime and then are all over the news and everyone then knows who they are. That is where the inspiration comes from. The two aren't comparable.

10+ Year Old Account
    I genuinely can't tell if you are serious or just taking the piss. The people you just mentioned were people who were already household names or people in positions of power who were covered in the news for so long specifically because they committed these crimes while already being famous or influential.

These shooters are people who no one in the world knew until they committed their crime and then are all over the news and everyone then knows who they are. That is where the inspiration comes from. The two aren't comparable.
    Even the family in california who were all over the news once it was found out what they were doing? How about the mom who killed her kids by drowning them because satan? Where are the copy cats? Murders are on the news every day. What about people copying OJ or Casey Anthony? I mean they even got off.

With rights come responsibilities.

I do think that if the press decided to not publish the names and photographs of these killers, they (the press) would not be giving them the 15 minutes of fame they crave. and maybe that would eliminate some of these crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    Maybe ban car advertisements too, all they do is encourage people to buy cars and as we all know cars kill more people than all the gun nuts combined.
    This argument falls flat because most deaths involving cars are not intentional. They are often caused by drunk driving, texting while driving, or weather related. There are other, more effective, routes that could be taken in order to reduce car related deaths, like safe driving PSAs and innovations in self-driving cars.
    Last edited by Twilight Cultist; 2018-06-01 at 06:28 PM.

Even the family in california who were all over the news once it was found out what they were doing? How about the mom who killed her kids by drowning them because satan? Where are the copy cats? Murders are on the news every day. What about people copying OJ or Casey Anthony? I mean they even got off.
    Who knows why those crimes arent committed and maybe they are, they just arent headline events. With suicides though, its a well know phenomenon so much so that it known as the Werther Effect

There have been numerous studies conducted by behavior scientists about mass shootings which suggest the media does have a role to play in them.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...hool-shootings
    http://www.apa.org/news/press/releas...contagion.aspx
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b08e945fee4d57
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...re-contagious/

The more heinous an act, the more time it is covered on the news. People abuse their kids every day. The reason why that family was covered for so long was because of how extreme it was. They had multiple children who were abused, tied up and malnourished for most of their lived (I believe the oldest one was in their late teens or early 20s). What is easier?

A.) Getting in a relationship with someone. Get them pregnant (multiple times) and have them want you to be in the child's life. Abuse the kids for multiple years, while the mother has no idea about it (or is okay with it). And then once enough time has past, purposefully get yourself caught.

or

B.) Grab a gun and shoot up a school filled with kids.

I seriously don't know how you can honestly believe that was a good example.

The OJ case was covered so much because, again, he was already famous to begin with.

I don't know much about Casey Anthony.

10+ Year Old Account
    The more heinous an act, the more time it is covered on the news. People abuse their kids every day. The reason why that family was covered for so long was because of how extreme it was. They had multiple children who were abused, tied up and malnourished for most of their lived (I believe the oldest one was in their late teens or early 20s). What is easier?

A.) Getting in a relationship with someone. Get them pregnant (multiple times) and have them want you to be in the child's life. Abuse the kids for multiple years, while the mother has no idea about it (or is okay with it). And then once enough time has past, purposefully get yourself caught.

or

B.) Grab a gun and shoot up a school filled with kids.

I seriously don't know how you can honestly believe that was a good example.

The OJ case was covered so much because, again, he was already famous to begin with.

I don't know much about Casey Anthony.
    Casey Anthony was a nobody who maybe got her kid killed SHe became super famous. WHeres the copy cats?

- - - Updated - - -

Casey Anthony wasnt a headline event? Mass murderer finally caught and all over the news not headline worthy? Serial rapists?

Casey Anthony was a nobody who maybe got her kid killed SHe became super famous. WHeres the copy cats?

- - - Updated - - -

Casey Anthony wasnt a headline event? Mass murderer finally caught and all over the news not headline worthy? Serial rapists?
    People who kill there kids isn't something that is super rare. There likely is another reason for why that case, in particular, becomes so famous. I'm not going to spend hours researching into the case, but after a quick search I found a random article talking about the topic.

CNN’s crime diva, Nancy Grace, attributes the allure to the cast of characters. “This trial plays out like a classic Greek tragedy with the love and hate dynamics between grandmother, mother and daughter,” Grace told TVNewser. “In this particular case, you have a physically attractive young defendant, articulate, and with great potential, the world at her feet, and now we see her charged with the murder of her young daughter.”
    Source

The circumstances of the case seemed to be what made it so popular.

These school shooters are typically young, male, social outcasts who have little to no friends. If you have someone like that who wants to become infamous, what is the easiest route?

A.) Working towards having a kid, kill the kid, bury them in your backyard, have a family member report the kid missing, leave little hints towards the fact that you have a dead body in your yard, have a long, drawn out trial on whether or not you murdered your kid (and it still likely wouldn't get much attention, since they aren't attractive women).

or

B.) Get a gun......and shoot up a school.

At this point, I'm just going to assume you aren't taking this serious and are trying to waste my time because these replies by you can't be genuine.

10+ Year Old Account
    People who kill there kids isn't something that is super rare. There likely is another reason for why that case, in particular, becomes so famous. I'm not going to spend hours researching into the case, but after a quick search I found a random article talking about the topic.

Source

The circumstances of the case seemed to be what made it so popular.

These school shooters are typically young, male, social outcasts who have little to no friends. If you have someone like that who wants to become infamous, what is the easiest route?

A.) Working towards having a kid, kill the kid, bury them in your backyard, have a family member report the kid missing, leave little hints towards the fact that you have a dead body in your yard, have a long, drawn out trial on whether or not you murdered your kid (and it still likely wouldn't get much attention, since they aren't attractive women).

or

B.) Get a gun......and shoot up a school.

At this point, I'm just going to assume you aren't taking this serious and are trying to waste my time because these replies by you can't be genuine.
    Disagreement means not genuine? Maybe you should look into casey anthony's case. One person's description of the trial is probably not the best place to look. Considering it a was case that gained lots of attention and media coverage and ended very controversially.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    The media influences school shooters when they plaster their names and faces all over the front page, it makes other people want to be copy cats. There was a girl who wanted to be the first female school shooter.

It doesn't matter if you are pro gun or anti gun we should all agree that making these shooters famous should stop!
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lem-with-media

already a thread on this up.

Casey Anthony was high profile, but not because of what she did, but because of the case. She claimed she was kidnapped, later found and determined murdered by her mom. Why dont we see copy cats, not many people want to murder their children. Although some do and they make the news. Same for rapists.

With suicides and mass shootings you have people who feel the world is against them, they are being bullied etc.. They are impressionable and see the news of someone who is in their same shoes and decide to follow in their footsteps. You cant deny it happens, look at all the behavior scientists who describe case after case.
    Last edited by petej0; 2018-06-01 at 07:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    Casey Anthony was high profile, but not because of what she did, but because of the case. She claimed she was kidnapped, later found and determined murdered her mom. Why dont we see copy cats, not many people want to murder their children. Although some do and they make the news. Same for rapists.

With suicides and mass shootings you have people who feel the world is against them, they are being bullied etc.. They are impressionable and see the news of someone who is in their same shoes and decide to follow in their footsteps. You cant deny it happens, look at all the behavior scientists who describe case after case.
    Where are the gay mass shooters?