Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    Of course they don't smell it themselves. It's called sensory adaptation. Same reason people who smoke cigarettes can't smell it on their breath/clothes.
    Same reason that we as a species flourished. Bathing just wasn't a big deal for a lot of people through some periods of history. If I recall Queen Isabella of Spain (Re; Christopher Columbus) bragged that she bathed twice in her life; once when she was born, and the other when she was married.

ITT: colorful descriptions of multiple stink levels a person can achieve.

Gotta save some of those fabulous English sentences in my brain

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Is it a trait of the target audience for these types of games or something? Poor hygiene?
    It's really interesting in the fact that you see a list of characteristics that are often shared by individuals at these events. If you took a bingo card you could easily check off poor hygiene, obesity, unkept facial hair, ponytails, glasses, and odd assortment of clothing.

I realize that I'm heavily generalizing but the comic book shop owner from The Simpsons is based off of and making fun of the same sort of individuals. I'm pretty sure chances are high that these same individuals are somewhere on the Autism spectrum since bouts of disproportionate anger and being socially inept is common as well.

The card game itself isn't marketed for any specific target audience but it falls under the fantasy genre which is sort of a haven for socially reclusive people who find happiness in escaping from reality since reality is hard and often harsh for them. I feel bad for them but at the same time hygiene is just too important to make an exception.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Ate a durian, huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Body odour develops gradually, and is also simply ignored by the brain. If you want to make an experiment on that, just don't shower for a couple of days. While I assure you you will constantly smell, you won't be aware of it most of the time.
    Wouldn't work on me. I'm pretty paranoid about this thing and pay very close attention to it.
    Generally speaking: humans don't smell nice. Esp their breath. Best not to get too close to them.
    Though on some women it's the levels of perfume that nearly suffocates you.

Most of the time mouth breathing helps.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know one person I am unfortunate enough to go to same courses in college who can be literally detected by smell without having to see him. Terrible.

You need to see like several rows away just so the stench won't reach you and soak in your clothes. I have no idea what the fuck is his issue, like he's not self-aware or something?

Fucking 10 min shower twice a day - one in the morning and one in the evening, some deodorant in the morning and that's all you need to not frikkin' smell like a dumpster.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Wouldn't work on me. I'm pretty paranoid about this thing and pay very close attention to it.
    Generally speaking: humans don't smell nice. Esp their breath. Best not to get too close to them.
    Though on some women it's the levels of perfume that nearly suffocates you.

Most of the time mouth breathing helps.
    I was referring to the 'avergae' human. There are of course people more sensitive to smell or other sensations than others. It also doesn't hurt to stay clean.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post
    It's really interesting in the fact that you see a list of characteristics that are often shared by individuals at these events. If you took a bingo card you could easily check off poor hygiene, obesity, unkept facial hair, ponytails, glasses, and odd assortment of clothing.

I realize that I'm heavily generalizing but the comic book shop owner from The Simpsons is based off of and making fun of the same sort of individuals. I'm pretty sure chances are high that these same individuals are somewhere on the Autism spectrum since bouts of disproportionate anger and being socially inept is common as well.

The card game itself isn't marketed for any specific target audience but it falls under the fantasy genre which is sort of a haven for socially reclusive people who find happiness in escaping from reality since reality is hard and often harsh for them. I feel bad for them but at the same time hygiene is just too important to make an exception.
    I googled Magic TcG and the keywords "smell", "stink" and "odour" and found some pretty hilarious forums threads about this. I guess it really is a common problem.
    Man, some of the horror stories people post bout... like people smelling like actual shit... ughh.

Deleted
    If people did the right thing and wore medical masks or if planes had better air filtering then the problem wouldn't have been as bad.
    http://www.travelandleisure.com/trav...-during-flight

People have varying senses of smells to different chemicals.
    http://www.nature.com/news/sense-for...-genes-1.13493

Designer smells
    Geneticist Doron Lancet of the Weizmann Institute of Science in Rehovot, Israel, has long advocated the idea that genes drive a personalized sense of smell, and he says that Newcomb’s work provides “highly revealing and convincing proof” that this is so. “For 20 years I’ve been saying that, one day, knowing the genetic consistency of a person, it could be possible to design a smell that’s suited to them,” says Lancet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    I googled Magic TcG and the keywords "smell", "stink" and "odour" and found some pretty hilarious forums threads about this. I guess it really is a common problem.
    Man, some of the horror stories people post bout... like people smelling like actual shit... ughh.
    Generally people exaggerate this because they're bigoted towards nerds and autistic people. We've even had some comments on here about how they should be put in special camps.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Had an Asian guy in my engineering classes that smelled like shit constantly, since most of the rooms were camped it was always a race to find a seat far away from him as possible. Thankfully he decided to switch to a buinese class this year