Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Diablo III dye system

Searched and couldn't find a post that already spoke about this. I'm just curious to hear people's opinion on why or why not WoW should have a dye system for armor like Diablo III.

I really like the artifact weapons and its a step in the right direction, also with tier sets. But my biased opinion thinks with a dye system you could mix all types of armor to make some really unique looking mogs. Just my two cents.

It would kill all the recolors for the different levels of difficulty in Raids and also take the fun out of finding the right piece to match with this set.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would LOVE for it to have a dye system like WoW BUT, that would demand a TON of work. You have over 100.000 items that would need to be remodeled with a new system for dye to work. It would be great but, VERY time consuming.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chaelexi View Post
    It would kill all the recolors for the different levels of difficulty in Raids and also take the fun out of finding the right piece to match with this set.
    Yup, that plan would have to be changed to different features instead of colours..
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Chaelexi View Post
    could just lock 2/3 of the colours if you only did LFR,and 1/3 if you only did normal,unlock all if you did heroic
    mythic comes with different features so you could open all recolours on mythic gear regardless

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    I would LOVE for it to have a dye system like WoW BUT, that would demand a TON of work. You have over 100.000 items that would need to be remodeled with a new system for dye to work. It would be great but, VERY time consuming.
    Path of least resistance would probably be to limit it to the expansion it is introduced in and going forward - and leave the legacy gear ineligible except for perhaps a couple of possible exceptions.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

- - - Updated - - -

Good point, I never thought about the sheer amount of work that would have to go into implementing it. Still tho....it'd be pretty awesome :P

I prefer ESO dye system

The problem is that Blizz use gear recolours as rewards for different difficulties. The only difference between between LFR, N and HC gear is its colour. Another bunch of LFR/N/HC and M gear recolours is used as PvP non-Elite and Elite rewards.

If Blizz introduced the dye system, they'd have to rework the game's reward system entirely. Or they could make LFR/N/HC/non-Elite gear look literally identical and tell players to deal w/ it.
    Last edited by ls-; 2018-06-01 at 07:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Path of least resistance would probably be to limit it to the expansion it is introduced in and going forward - and leave the legacy gear ineligible except for perhaps a couple of possible exceptions.
    It would be but Blizzard has mentioned before that if they were to update the models, they wouldn't want to abandon others. (Not the specific words but it is a question that has been up a lot).
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    It would be but Blizzard has mentioned before that if they were to update the models, they wouldn't want to abandon others. (Not the specific words but it is a question that has been up a lot).
    I wouldn't personally construe that as abandonment, per se; it's just a functionality that the old gear wouldn't have but that new ones would. You could of course still xmog the old gear to your hearts desire, and even mix and match the dyed gear with older matching pieces. Not too different from gem slots missing from 1-60 gear, at the end of the day. Of course I think most people would love it if the old gear could be dyed as well, but as was said above it would be extremely difficult given the givens.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Edgary View Post
    Searched and couldn't find a post that already spoke about this.

That's a bad idea anyway, because lfr/heroic/normal/mythic have different colors, so now you could just use the dye and look like some heroic/mythic raider.

Yea but in a perfect world for my idea tier sets are just one look all the way up til HC, mythic tier armor sets have more than subtle color changes and I like that. I'm just saying (minus current tier gear) that it would be really cool to be able to dye your armor. Like imagine a paladin judgement set with like a black/grey/red scheme. That would be so sick i feel like

edit - I realize those colors are already in the judgement set, i'm just saying more black, less gold and yellow. Make it look "dark"

I liked what they did with Legion's artifact weapons where there were a wide variety of artifact weapon skins and you could pick which colors to pursue to match a certain transmog.

Spoiler: Just don't allow recolors of a gear set that intrude on the main color of a recolor, thus keeping difficulty sets unique.

10+ Year Old Account
    A dye system would be fine but it would have to be designed in and only apply to new gear once implemented.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

7+ Year Old Account
    Searched and couldn't find a post that already spoke about this. I'm just curious to hear people's opinion on why or why not WoW should have a dye system for armor like Diablo III.

I really like the artifact weapons and its a step in the right direction, also with tier sets. But my biased opinion thinks with a dye system you could mix all types of armor to make some really unique looking mogs. Just my two cents.
    A few reasons.

1. idk if you have looked but Diablo models are ALOT more detailed, because you encounter 4 people at a time instead of up to a hundred. also you only have main hand off hand boots, legs, chest, gloves, helm and shoulder

Instead of main hand off hand boots legs chest gloves helm and shoulder+ cape, tabard, bracers, belt (not much but still abit more)

2. Diablo models are made ahead of time in white and from there can be made to be coloured, so if wow was to add a dye system it would only work on new gear, or the only other way is to drag a hue slider on other gear.

3. wow gear is made specificly like a piece of art, instead of multiple models with multiple sections. So the only thing you can do with stuff in wow is drag a hue slider like for example.

You cant change the inner collar cause by default its white so to change the colour you would have to change the colour of the whole thing
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

if we were gonna have a dye system in wow it would be great but i think we can aim a little higher than diablo 3. every gear only gets 1 color in that game and the dyes look ugly as hell up close

10+ Year Old Account
    dye system would be great, you could even make inscription like make different dyes or give certain bosses rare dyes
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    3. wow gear is made specificly like a piece of art, instead of multiple models with multiple sections. So the only thing you can do with stuff in wow is drag a hue slider like for example.
    Going forwards with newer gear you could easily set up some kind of mask-layering system on the armor textures that lets you affect different elements of different pieces. They've been doing it in MMOs for a while, Wildstar is one good example. It would be a bitch to add this to existing stuff because there's so much, but I could see them doing it with new stuff.

Honestly, that's pretty much how you set up the color variants in the first place in whatever art program you make them with, you'd just use the same idea as an in-game system.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Going forwards with newer gear you could easily set up some kind of mask-layering system on the armor textures that lets you affect different elements of different pieces. They've been doing it in MMOs for a while, Wildstar is one good example. It would be a bitch to add this to existing stuff because there's so much, but I could see them doing it with new stuff.

Honestly, that's pretty much how you set up the color variants in the first place in whatever art program you make them with, you'd just use the same idea as an in-game system.
    As i said, it would be possible but the art style for gear would need ot change slihtly, and the armor would need to be made with dyes intact.

thing is there is a BIG difference between "Apply blue to a whold chest" and "Apply blue to the main, gold to the trim, and silver to the secondary"
    the "Make it blue" would be easy, just allow for hue changing, but yeah...
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account

I would pay massive amounts of gold to be able to do this

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post

That's a bad idea anyway, because lfr/heroic/normal/mythic have different colors, so now you could just use the dye and look like some heroic/mythic raider.
    Who cares though? Achievements exist to separate the levels of raiding. Never once since TBC have I ever cared about my tier set separating myself from other players. It didn't matter, my kills did
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore