Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicymemer View Post
    Thats why i said Unless, if you're the kind of person to loose your mind over a 30 sec vs 60 sec boot time, then yeah, go for it.

But you get similar performance by putting windows on a dedicated mechanical drive with all your startup programs on another.
    30s for a boot? Maybe for when windows did some update, but mine is operational within 10 seconds. Also an SSD makes a computer a lot more snappy than a HDD. The benefits aren't just faster boot/load times.... Once you've got a system with a SSD, believe me you don't want back to mechanical drives.

That said, I run with a 1TB NVMe M.2 Intel 600p as the only drive in my system. Considering a NAS for storage purposes.
    Last edited by mmoc2ee7b7fc27; 2018-06-03 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyandor View Post
    30s for a boot? Maybe for when windows did some update, but mine is operational within 10 seconds. Also an SSD makes a computer a lot more snappy than a HDD. The benefits aren't just faster boot/load times.... Once you've got a system with a SSD, believe me you don't want back to mechanical drives.

That said, I run with a 1TB NVMe M.2 Intel 600p as the only drive in my system. Considering a NAS for storage purposes.
    I said boot, not windows loading screen.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    And that equates to around 10-15s for many people.
    Yep, this is what an SSD gives you, other processes may still be starting (you don't notice because disc potential I/O is so high), but windows has started in 10-15s.

ssd's are too expensive to use as storage hdd's. I only have ssd for an OS drive. I got total storage about 80TB (that includes NAS) and all the hdd's are WD ones. Until ssd prices come down to what regular 8-10TB hdds are, it's just wasting money buying ssd's for storage.

15+ Year Old Account
    For those saying SSDs arent worth the money. I feel for you that you cant afford one, but those of us that can, we enjoy them. We like the snappiness of our systems and load times and they have evolved to where they are well worth it.

You all kind of sound like your pissed at SSD users because you don't have one. You can now get a 1TB SSD for around $200, if you use a mechanical for all of your data (User Files), which is easy to automatically do in Windows 10, there is no better way to speed up your PC than a SSD.

Thats why i said Unless, if you're the kind of person to loose your mind over a 30 sec vs 60 sec boot time, then yeah, go for it.

But you get similar performance by putting windows on a dedicated mechanical drive with all your startup programs on another.
    This is not even remotely close to reality. I see boot times of a few seconds after the BIOS screen. And if fast boot is enabled I quite frequently skip right past the BIOS screen and the spinning windows loading thingee to a login screen. less than 5 seconds.

On top of faster loading of everything else on the system.

SSD's are one of the best upgrades you can do. Even for an older system.

They are not THAT expensive anymore.

Deleted
    I said boot, not windows loading screen.
    Your point? That below 10 seconds is from the moment I push the power button to when it is fully operational. When I had to do a full system reboot for WoW once I was back into the game within 30 seconds from the moment I closed the game to the moment I was back into the game

10+ Year Old Account
    For me the biggest quality of life improvement from getting an SSD is the launching of Visual Studio and opening a project. It has gone from over a minute, where I had time to go make a cup of tea while the computer churned away to practically instant.

Mechanical hard drives should have been phased out of desktop and laptop configurations years ago. The only place I use them are in my home server and in my NAS.

My main desktop has a 512gb Samsung 860 pro nvme drive for the os and easily reinstallable programs. I have a pair of 1tb Samsung 850 evo’s for games and any media I want locally on my machine like music.

If you think SSDs are too expensive, you need to check prices again. They are very cheap now. There is no reason to not have one in every build now.
    :::: Intel 10900k w/ Corsair H100i
    :::: ASUS Maximus XII Formula
    :::: 64GB Corsair Dominator RGB 3600mhz DDR4
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Pop!_OS

Quote Originally Posted by lloose View Post
    If you think SSDs are too expensive, you need to check prices again. They are very cheap now. There is no reason to not have one in every build now.
    If you think several hundred dollars for 1TB is affordable for most users, you're so far out of touch with reality it's amazing you dont trip while walking.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SoulForge View Post
    They are not THAT expensive anymore.
    ... yes they are. They are still averaging over 40c/GB.

A mechanical drive is about 3-4c/GB.

Literally ten times as expensive. Ten. Times.

This is false. You get no where near similar performance. Prob not valid here as most people have powerful machines here, but even just opening programs on more basic machines a ssd smashes it. My 8 year old laptop I use for school has a 128gb ssd. Even just opening up Chrome is a huge performance boost. My mum had a similar spec but newer generation laptop with a mechanical. 30 secs to open up chrome. 2 secs for me. Anyone who says that ssd are not worth it is someone you should probably put on ignore. I wouldn't be surprised if the think the world is flat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

SSD for OS and games and regular huge hard drive for storage.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

I have a 250 SSD and would recommend you get 500. I find myself constantly uninstalling games that i don't want to with a 250.

Deleted
    I've a 2TB mechanical and 240GB SSD.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    If you think several hundred dollars for 1TB is affordable for most users, you're so far out of touch with reality it's amazing you dont trip while walking.

- - - Updated - - -

... yes they are. They are still averaging over 40c/GB.

A mechanical drive is about 3-4c/GB.

Literally ten times as expensive. Ten. Times.
    He said having one in the system, not replacing all storage entirely. A 250gb SSD goes for 70 euros and 500gb goes for 110 euros. Those are really acceptable prices for a piece of hardware that has the most noticable impact on your user experience. For high capacity storage you just chuck a normal HDD aside of it.

He said having one in the system, not replacing all storage entirely. A 250gb SSD goes for 70 euros and 500gb goes for 110 euros. Those are really acceptable prices for a piece of hardware that has the most noticable impact on your user experience. For high capacity storage you just chuck a normal HDD aside of it.
    Pretty much. Well aware you can't replace the high capacity of regular HDD's yet. I still have 4x 3TB drives in my system for storage for that reason.

No he didnt. He said they (mechanical drives) shouldnt be in laptops or desktops at all, ever. Go back and read it. Because SSDs are “so cheap”.

FWIW, my point is the one youre making; SSD for boot/important game(s), HDD for mass storage. Im arguing against the “SSDs are so cheap you should just always use them for everything” crowd... because 10x more expensive for no perceptible performance benefit (mass storage) is not “cheap”. (And i quoted two different people; the only part of Soul’s post i took issue with was his price comparison)

Deleted
    Have a 256GB NvMe and a 1TB SSD in my system. I don't really need the bulk storage of a HDD so didn't bother putting one in.

I do have a 2 TB external HDD that I use as an extra back up for game saves / photos etc.

I recently upgraded my 250GB SSD to a 1TB one for $200. I wiped the old one, partitioned it and then assigned it a new drive letter. I use both of these for gaming and other daily activities. I also have an internal 1TB mechanical drive, which I use primarily for storage.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    When did I ever mention anything about a 1tb ssd being cheap? How about instead of trying to insult people as a way of legitimizing your point of view, you read the post and respond to what people are actually saying.

And back on topic, Samsung has their 250gb 860 evo on sale through google express for $60. If anyone is looking for a larger capacity ssd, rakuten has Micron 2tb ssd’s for $250. Good time to grab a boot ssd right now or upgrade your game storage.
    :::: Intel 10900k w/ Corsair H100i
    :::: ASUS Maximus XII Formula
    :::: 64GB Corsair Dominator RGB 3600mhz DDR4
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Pop!_OS