Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I think the best you can hope for is TV/Stream and likely animation. Odds are low on that too. If they had released when the iron was hot instead of planning for it to stay hot forever you would have a second movie by now. Instead they dropped it after one of the worse droughts in history of the game and then followed up by the worst expansion of all time (WoD, yeah I know.. you loved it and it was great..). So talk about dropping something that pretty much totally relied on its fan base to carry after you have thrown ice cold water on them and their hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    So, while Warcraft did well there, it doesn't necessarily mean it was because the Chinese audiences loved the movie. It's very likely did so well over there because only so many movies are approved to be seen, and Warcraft was a big budget Blockbuster, which attracted a huge audience, not to mention, the advertising for it was huge over there. Which isn't surprising, given that the movie was also financed by a few Chinese movie production companies.
    Which is a nice theory but bullshit. Solo is part of a bigger worldwide franchise and marketed even better, and it totally bombed in China.
    They're not mindless drones that sit there to swallow any old drivel that Hollywood doles out. The WoW movie did great in China because they loved it.

Even though I personally would have preferred to start with the Arthas story, I understand why they picked the story they did. And the movie worked for what it was, the visuals were great and very much in line with the fantasy.
    I am sure there will be a sequel or reboot at some point, the IP is way too big for that not to happen. And the auction says nothing, these knickknacks and costumes are usually discarded after movies, they need new versions for another movie anyways, not crap used version.

I doubt that the Arthas storyline would have proved to as popular as many seem to believe. A movie based on Arthas would no doubt draw comparisons to Star Wars and Anakin's/Darth Vadar's story, which itself is not exactly original, also if the standard of writing in the Warcraft movie is anything to go by it would not only be seen as rip-off but a poor quality rip-off.

I don't doubt that Arthas' story would be popular with a subsection of the Warcraft (WoW, WC3, etc) fan base but I don't believe that it would be popular enough with the general movie going public or that there are enough fans to make it a financially viable movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Resheph View Post
    Solo is part of a bigger worldwide franchise and marketed even better, and it totally bombed in China.
    Because Star Wars is a bad franchise that haven't developed past 70s. Compare the dreary crap the Solo with breathtaking and inventive Transformers or superheroes movies. SW is just laughable bad FX, drab palette, lack of invention and terribly bad choreography for the Chinese audience. Warcraft was at least colorful and had otherworldly creatures.

10+ Year Old Account
    No No No hell No

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Can I ask the real question here, when did we replace "ed" with "t" ?????????????

Quote Originally Posted by Toogoodman View Post
    Can I ask the real question here, when did we replace "ed" with "t" ?????????????
    Eh? To be honest I didn't even know that we had started to spell second as seconed.

Muphry's Law in action; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muphry%27s_law

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Eh? To be honest I didn't even know that we had started to spell second as seconed.

Muphry's Law in action; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muphry%27s_law
    lmfao valid, well Ill leave with my head down in shame

Deleted
    Wish they contracted a good animation studio and make some animated WoW movies or series instead.

I think it lends itself perfectly for that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sylenna View Post
    make it GoT-esque.

edit:

really, man? i was afk for just a few minutes before sending this!

You said it way better! /props!

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Like a number of big-budget movies opening these days, Warcraft had two specific goals. First of all, it had to make money. And on that scale, it is indeed a failure, albeit less of one than many of us presumed once upon a time. Even with a whopping $220 million in China, which amounted to over half of the film’s $430m worldwide cume, the $160m production is still a slight money loser (around $15m so says The Hollywood Reporter). The film made around 2.675x its production budget (not including marketing costs), which means it may break even down in post-theatrical. But it is not a breakout smash hit by any definition. Investors don’t throw money into big budget movies to just break even.

It broke even.

I wish the Russo Bros, the guys who did Infinity Wars directed Warcraft.

No, probably no second Warcraft Movie.
    It wasn't the directors fault the movie wasn't successful. It was bad script writing, poor casting choices and too much Producers meddling. There are a couple of articles where Duncan Jones talks about the stresses of the movie and all the things that had been changed midstream that were frustrating for him. Duncan Jones is an amazing director. He just did not have as much final authority with this production as he did on Moon and Source Code.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Wish they contracted a good animation studio and make some animated WoW movies or series instead.

I think it lends itself perfectly for that.
    well, we knew how it's done properly

Deleted
    Possiblly being to perdantic but there never was a wow movie but a Warcraft one. WoW is not the name of the franchise or the game the film was based on.

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    Possibly the worst movie I’ve ever seen, so it comes as no surprise there won’t be a second.
    You dont watch many movies huh?
    READ and be less Ignorant.

They sold all of the costumes, weapons and mailboxes from movie already.

Movie wasn't great, but wasn't bad either... I think expectations were too high. I want to watch it again some day.

I remember a blue saying at some point that they thought a GoT-alike series would be better, but they had already invested too much in the movie at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Didn't the Chinese number came in a time of flood and they later found out some Chinese investor in the movie bought all the tickets?
    Yes. Dalian Wanda Group owns Legendary Pictures. They cooked the books to save face. There was no miraculous Chinese turnout for this disasterpiece.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

With all the changes to the story, I beg them not to continue.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    There won't be one in a near future. 10-20 years later if there will be another fantasy boom, and Blizzard/WoW will still be a thing, then maybe.
    I want that Arthas trilogy though.

With all the changes to the story, I beg them not to continue.
    seconded this btw.

Just because the movie wasn't that great (Disclaimer: I liked it, but I see the flaws pretty clearly), dosen't mean it won't get a sequel. How do I know? If quality meant anything to studios greenlighting projects then Michael Bay would be homeless.

Its under-performance at the Box Office pretty much seals it, unless someone can make a good pitch to the studio executives.