Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Well no one using frostbite is a big overstatement, there are 30+ games atm using that engine https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frostbite_(game_engine)

Slightly older article here, does show that clockspeed is still king over cores https://www.techspot.com/review/1445...800x-vs-7700k/

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    JayzTwoCents did a good video on it. They had to drop down to some seriously low-end hardware to bottleneck a GPU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH0GDxLL-RI
    Bruh you just linked a video where he used a synthetic benchmark. I'm done with you lmao.

Your cpu won't bottleneck newer gpu. Just get what you can afford, tbh a 1070ti or 1080(if the price isn't that different) and call it a day.
    Newer cpus don't give that many frames, maybe 3--10 but it depends on the game.
    Intel 7700K l Asrock Z270 Taichi l Corsair H115i Pro l G.SKill Trident Z 3200Mhz l EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 l NZXT S340 Elite l EVGA G2 650W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo X View Post
    If you think overclocking is going to close a 70fps gap you really know nothing and this conversation is a waste of energy.
    edit: Also OP has locked 4790 so you're just really wrong in general.

Just because the 8700k can hit huge highs, doesn't mean it's going to consistently be "70fps" ahead. In situations where you're already scoring 120+ fps, it tends to leap way up, but on average, it's rarely any better than a few fps.

Battlefield 1 is the most biased game you could pick for a comparison.

Last edited by Shinzai; 2018-06-05 at 11:05 PM.

Appreciating all the answers as well discussion (Im learning <3) but keep it civil lads ^^

From what I've picked up, bottlenecking isnt much of a problem these days, unless youre running top-end GPU with 90's CPU? (exaggerating)

So Already order the peripherals package (Hyperx)

And next up I'm probably ordering up a 1080ti, i'll wait a bit, as some graph I found seems to indicate prices going down. So maybe it'll be a couple bucks cheaper by July?

And from what I've understood, regardless of my CPU, it'll be the biggest upgrade I can get, so yeah! And will probably order a 1440p monitor at that point as well

And as somone previously mentioned, wait for next generation cpu or somthing?

But a question I dont think got answered, though I think I've got some thoughts on it myself, G-sync worth it or not?

Seems to be like its only worth it for future-proofing? I usually keep onto my monitors much longer than my GPU :P But its still like a 50-60% jump in price range from non-Gsync, and at least the Benq monitor I was looking at seems to have somthing called Adaptive Sync, is that simmilar?

Quote Originally Posted by warex00 View Post
    But a question I dont think got answered, though I think I've got some thoughts on it myself, G-sync worth it or not?
    I'd advise going to a store that sells them and checking them out. Only you can decide if the money is worth the experience. I really enjoy having gsync but I've had friends see mine and decide its not worth the extra bucks.

the Benq monitor I was looking at seems to have somthing called Adaptive Sync, is that simmilar?
    Its probably referring to AMD's freesync which won't work with an nvidia GPU

10+ Year Old Account
    I really enjoy having gsync but I've had friends see mine and decide its not worth the extra bucks.
    I'll echo this. It's a nice feature, but really pricey vs the competition.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

Quote Originally Posted by warex00 View Post
    Appreciating all the answers as well discussion (Im learning <3) but keep it civil lads ^^

From what I've picked up, bottlenecking isnt much of a problem these days, unless youre running top-end GPU with 90's CPU? (exaggerating)

So Already order the peripherals package (Hyperx)

And next up I'm probably ordering up a 1080ti, i'll wait a bit, as some graph I found seems to indicate prices going down. So maybe it'll be a couple bucks cheaper by July?

And from what I've understood, regardless of my CPU, it'll be the biggest upgrade I can get, so yeah! And will probably order a 1440p monitor at that point as well

And as somone previously mentioned, wait for next generation cpu or somthing?

Seems to be like its only worth it for future-proofing? I usually keep onto my monitors much longer than my GPU :P But its still like a 50-60% jump in price range from non-Gsync, and at least the Benq monitor I was looking at seems to have somthing called Adaptive Sync, is that simmilar?
    TBF a lot of the posters seem to have missed the fact you have an locked i7 4770 which will soon be a bottleneck in certain games. In a game like Battlefield 1 which you mentioned as games that you play it already wil be a bottleneck at 2560x1440 @144hz. And in your other post you said you wanna play Battlefield V which probably be even a bit more cpu demanding.

So while I kinda agree with the other posts about upgrading to a i7 8700k when comming from a i7 4770k isnt worth the investment but thats only cause you can overclock the i7 4770k to keep it relevant a little bit longer. But in your case having an locked i7 4770 you are going to feel it even at higher resolutions. Especially in games like Battlefield 1. As example I run Battlefield 1 on a 2560x1440@144hz screen and my cpu load is at 80% sometimes when playing that game and I run a i7 5820k 6 core cpu clocked at 4,3ghz. So having a lower clock and core count will surely bottleneck that 1080ti and not by just 1-5% but more like 10 to 20% atleast.

Upgrading to a i7 8700k also will give you acces to higher single core performance especially when you can clock it atleast 1,1ghz higher then your current cpu which wil help a lot in games like WoW. ANd then there is a lot of other things to go over. Like do you game and have a few chrome tabs open on a 2nd screen while having something running like spotify and discord. Sure their load on their own doesnt mean a lot but having your cpu already running at 80% for 1 game will have an impact and could cause framedrops that can ruin your game experience. And the older and slower the cpu the bigger the framedrops can be.

So its not al that black and white as some posters make it seem. While upgrading your gpu give you more fps then upgrading a cpu, yes. So yeah go buy that 1080ti with a sexy monitor. But keep in mind that when possible also upgrade your cpu to make your gameplay smoother in games. Although I would wait atleast till they release the 8 core i7.

While I think G-Sync is nice I am not a big fan of it cause its an nvidia only thing. But yeah it will keep your games smoother at the moments your gpu cant deliver the fps the monitor wants so its good for in the future. But is it worth depends on how long it wil take to upgrade your gpu.

Quote Originally Posted by dapperedodo View Post
    TBF a lot of the posters seem to have missed the fact you have an locked i7 4770 which will soon be a bottleneck in certain games. In a game like Battlefield 1 which you mentioned as games that you play it already wil be a bottleneck at 2560x1440 @144hz. And in your other post you said you wanna play Battlefield V which probably be even a bit more cpu demanding.

So while I kinda agree with the other posts about upgrading to a i7 8700k when comming from a i7 4770k isnt worth the investment but thats only cause you can overclock the i7 4770k to keep it relevant a little bit longer. But in your case having an locked i7 4770 you are going to feel it even at higher resolutions. Especially in games like Battlefield 1. As example I run Battlefield 1 on a 2560x1440@144hz screen and my cpu load is at 80% sometimes when playing that game and I run a i7 5820k 6 core cpu clocked at 4,3ghz. So having a lower clock and core count will surely bottleneck that 1080ti and not by just 1-5% but more like 10 to 20% atleast.

Upgrading to a i7 8700k also will give you acces to higher single core performance especially when you can clock it atleast 1,1ghz higher then your current cpu which wil help a lot in games like WoW. ANd then there is a lot of other things to go over. Like do you game and have a few chrome tabs open on a 2nd screen while having something running like spotify and discord. Sure their load on their own doesnt mean a lot but having your cpu already running at 80% for 1 game will have an impact and could cause framedrops that can ruin your game experience. And the older and slower the cpu the bigger the framedrops can be.

So its not al that black and white as some posters make it seem. While upgrading your gpu give you more fps then upgrading a cpu, yes. So yeah go buy that 1080ti with a sexy monitor. But keep in mind that when possible also upgrade your cpu to make your gameplay smoother in games. Although I would wait atleast till they release the 8 core i7.

While I think G-Sync is nice I am not a big fan of it cause its an nvidia only thing. But yeah it will keep your games smoother at the moments your gpu cant deliver the fps the monitor wants so its good for in the future. But is it worth depends on how long it wil take to upgrade your gpu.
    The higher you go in resolution/hz the bigger the GPU bottleneck becomes not the CPU they matter less at those settings. Hence my real CPU tests are done on lower resolutions with over the top GPU's to minimize the GPU impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Battlefield 1 is the most biased game you could pick for a comparison.
    You mean the game OP specifically mentioned he's playing?

You mean the game OP specifically mentioned he's playing?
    So you're assuming it's the only game he'll ever play?

So you're assuming it's the only game he'll ever play?
    Nah he'll probably play the new BF as well . But I'm not going to keep butting heads with you in this dudes thread. You worded it as if I pulled the game out my ass when in reality I don't think you even read that part of OP. But whatever. You can win. Not going to waste any more energy on this one.

@OP I genuinely apologize. Not trying to derail and fight in a thread where you're looking for guidance. I hope I've helped and educated a bit in my other comments.

Nah he'll probably play the new BF as well . But I'm not going to keep butting heads with you in this dudes thread. You worded it as if I pulled the game out my ass when in reality I don't think you even read that part of OP. But whatever. You can win. Not going to waste any more energy on this one.

@OP I genuinely apologize. Not trying to derail and fight in a thread where you're looking for guidance. I hope I've helped and educated a bit in my other comments.
    Genuine query; do you feel any need to upgrade your 4790?

Personally, after spending years playing on a laptop with sub-10 FPS in raid environments, I personally couldn't care about quality. I'll bottom out every setting I possibly can for it to run smoothly.

10+ Year Old Account

You are this.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

Depends on the game, I don't like settling for less than 60fps though in general and I will find the right compromise. If it's a racing game or an FPS then I will sacrifice some more quality for more FPS as it has a serious effect on your performance. Games I have played recently (this year, not done much gaming) are Final Fantasy 15, DOOM, Assetto Corsa. Only Final Fantasy 15 required some compromise for FPS vs image quality on my system, that said I ran it at 150% resolution scaling, to help with the games blurry look when using AA and then dropped some other settings to get the FPS up.. Image quality/clarity and FPS are most important to me, I will sacrifice post processing type effects where needed.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2018-06-06 at 01:04 PM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    The higher you go in resolution/hz the bigger the GPU bottleneck becomes not the CPU they matter less at those settings. Hence my real CPU tests are done on lower resolutions with over the top GPU's to minimize the GPU impact.
    And OPs cpu is a locked i7 4790. So even at higher resolutions you wil see a cpu bottleneck in cpu intensive game like Battlefield 1 or WoW. WoW cause it needs al the frequency it can get and Battlefield 1 cause it just wants al the cpu power it can get. So as said no need to rush to get a new cpu for the OP but some games already wil benefit from it.

It really depends on your taste.

I mean to tell you the truth there is no way, unless you are like on MLG level of playing, that the frames are really going to make a difference for you skill wise. Unless you are experiencing studder or MAJOR drops withstanding from the argument of course, but it sounds like your PC is handing either decently. Sure over the course of a week or so it might net you a kill or two more but end of the day it really isn't going to turn a silver to a gold or a gold to a plat level player for example.

So what this is going to boil down to is what do you like. If you love the graphics being boosted to the sky and you aren't really having visible performance hits than do it. If you just REALLY love having that 144 silky smoothness at the cost of some fidelity than do it. Either way unless you are extremely high end it isn't going to make or break you competitively in the end. I would end up trying both and just determining what you like the best and just roll with it.

No real right or wrong answer here unless you are sponsored to play the game. But if you were I don't think we would be having this conversation if you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by saraxp View Post

You are this.
    Amused response; Yes, I am.

Do any of us really need any of this?

But if you want a real answer I'm just waiting because there have been talks of DDR5 coming next year. I did almost pull the trigger on an 8700k bundle a month or so ago. Difference between me and OP is I can OC and really after selling what I already have I'd only be spending a couple hundred bucks. Its more of an energy thing than a time thing.

Once again though we're talking about PC gaming. Very few of us really "need" to upgrade. We spend money based on what we think is worth it. I happen to have a good job with quite a bit of disposable income so I spend it on a hobby I enjoy.

Side note: If I upgraded right now I'd be sitting with an 8700k, 16GB 3200mhz rgb ram, Kraken x72, and some flashy mobo. (because everyone knows rgb gives more frames)