Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    What if I told you: You'll be still playing WoW?

What if Blizzard released that they were going to charge the same normal sub fee aka: 15U$D (or whatever it is in your region), a month - and YOU COULD either play CLASSIC - or Retail?

What if I told you: classic or bfa, it's still world of warcraft.. what would you tell me then?

Imagine if instead of the red or blue pill, you didn't have to choose - you just got both?

What if we're really in the matrix?

Fuck me up fam

Considering most of the playerbase doesn't even step into Normal raids, not even mentioning heroic and mythic....yeah no. Vanilla is not for casuals, and casuals won't be interested in it (and those who will be own't be interested for more than a month). It won't destroy anything, all it will do is maybe we will lose a few people from each heroic/mythic guild. No big loss. And that's only if it proves to be hugely successful (which it won't).

Quote Originally Posted by Chaelexi View Post
    As much as I rag on Vanilla, Blizzard knew once they open Pandora's box they have to leave it open for as long as retail is going. There is no shutting it down. At most they will close servers and force migrate people once it gets bad.....or well all servers will be CRZ'ed into one big server.

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty much that, I can also see them having it with the original epic mounts so people will play to get those as well.
    Oh ya! I would love to get me a Teal Kodo!
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Oh no... the sky is falling... WoW is dying, again.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Doomsayer_(Legion)

Don't think WoW Classic will kill WoW.
    The interface is shared, so it will only add more players, or keep the same ones longer online.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can a mod merge this thread with one of the other similar threads?
    I mean there is a few out there by now...

80% cant do lfr i doubt they will manage to get lvl 60 even.

Quote Originally Posted by Advocatus Diaboli View Post
    So you think if people ain't gonna ditch wow and there 10-11-12+ years for a bran new mmo that by far better they will ditch it for what? A game from 2006? The exact same shit they have all ready done?

What crazy logic do you hold to that makes you think that people like me at 28 have any interest at all in pissing about in outdated re-release of content with old graphics? Why would I even consider dedicating the time I did when I was 16 to re earn all the shit I allready did back then but this time for zero fucking recognition because its allready done? No ones gonna clap a re clear of bwl, or mc or aq shits allready been done and done and done the first time round...... Pfft
    I'm 31 and plan to play it for sure. I have no interest to play the game in it's current state. And quite honestly I don't have a whole lot of desire to play any games on PC. If WOW released on Console I would be in heaven. But yes I do think there will be a fair amount of people like me that wanted and loved Vanilla and BC. I have not truly had fun with the game since CATA. All Xpacs since then have felt poorly thought out for me. Do I think Classic will kill Retail, hell no. But I do think there will be quite a few that exclusively play Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    I'm 31 and plan to play it for sure. I have no interest to play the game in it's current state. And quite honestly I don't have a whole lot of desire to play any games on PC. If WOW released on Console I would be in heaven. But yes I do think there will be a fair amount of people like me that wanted and loved Vanilla and BC. I have not truly had fun with the game since CATA. All Xpacs since then have felt poorly thought out for me. Do I think Classic will kill Retail, hell no. But I do think there will be quite a few that exclusively play Classic.
    There is a difference between people who will play classic over live than saying it will steal the playerbase from an established ever evolving game with consistent content releases. I still have this feeling that you will be required to own BFA to play classic and have an active subscription, or it will be the opposite you have to buy "Classic" but it also includes BFA if you do not already have it.

It will not steal the Playerbase, but it will definitely take some from Retail. I figure it will have some sort of sub. My guess is like you say, that it will just come along with a BFA active sub.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    i would bet a good money you will be done with classic in a month for one of the following reasons, A new game out on console, B its boring, C low number of players or D it isn't what you remembered.

Quote Originally Posted by sciath View Post
    That's the real reason why Blizz has admitted they're nervous about releasing classic, and why they were so reluctant to do so for so long. A few reasons: in retail they've pruned so many abilities thus simplified the game into oblivion, everything outside of mythic raiding is zerg mode, leveling is a complete joke, transmog reduces the prestige of new gear, gear upgrades are made obsolete within a few months, world pvp has been killed off, and worst of all: pre-set stat templates in pvp (are you kidding me?). FPS games have more mmo appeal whereas pvp is concerned. There's a very real possibility that when they release classic, the playerbase will perceive classic as the "hardcore" version of the game and retail as carebear mode. Players don't enjoy the feeling that they're playing a watered down version of the real game. Major Twitch streamers will flock to classic and its appeal will skyrocket. Blizzard is very afraid of the specter that all their "improvements" to the game over time will have made it less popular than a game that came out 15 years ago. They'll have to do some serious explaining to shareholders who see retail plunging in popularity. Likewise, that's also why they're currently so coy about giving updates on classic. They know that doing so will detract hype from the upcoming expansion, because classic outshines modern WoW.
    Yeah.... that's not gonna happen

The best part I find about this bullshit is that the first thing you bring up is pruning. For real, classic wow compared to Legion is dull af, and that is saying something. Have fun with your two spell "rotations" in classic bud
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinte View Post
    Considering most of the playerbase doesn't even step into Normal raids, not even mentioning heroic and mythic....yeah no. Vanilla is not for casuals, and casuals won't be interested in it (and those who will be own't be interested for more than a month). It won't destroy anything, all it will do is maybe we will lose a few people from each heroic/mythic guild. No big loss. And that's only if it proves to be hugely successful (which it won't).
    actually you just made an argument for having difficulty levels in classic and having a baseline content that is offensively easy - at least blizzard's track record for many years says that they may see it that way.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Classic Wow is going to fail so hard, it will be dead in three months after release, I have no idea why blizzard is making it, wow 2.0 with a modern engine would have been smarter

Quote Originally Posted by Fattypudds View Post
    Classic Wow is going to fail so hard, it will be dead in three months after release, I have no idea why blizzard is making it, wow 2.0 with a modern engine would have been smarter
    I know right.

Why would Blizzard allow players to play an older version of the game that has been a heavily requested feature for years?

Hmmmm

And no. "WoW 2" isn't needed. The engine will have less constraints/limitations on it going forward now it doesn't have to be developed for 32 bit systems.

The game is in a perfectly stable state right now. It has no need of a sequel. As for the engine until they've squeezed what they can out of it then it ain't going nowhere. And considering it's getting Directx 12 support in the future that says they will keep it going for a long time.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-06-06 at 12:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sciath View Post
    Classic WoW will kill retail
    No, it won't. If anything, it'll help it because 1.) the subscription for one is the subscription for the other and 2.) most of the people coming to play classic will realize how boring it is and either end their sub or go play retail.

And yes, the vast, vast, vast majority of people playing on illegal servers is due to them either being permanently banned or their mother's taking away the credit card. The only person you're convincing otherwise is yourself and the aforementioned people who have to keep telling themselves that they secretly wanted vanilla and that's why they're doing it.

Deleted
    WoW Classic will be lucky if it can keep more than 200k players the second month it's out.

Quote Originally Posted by EUPLEB View Post
    WoW Classic will be lucky if it can keep more than 200k players the second month it's out.
    200k is still more than a lot of other MMOs to be fair.

Noted.

/10chars

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    200k is still more than a lot of other MMOs to be fair.
    Yeah but with numbers that low most would go F2P. I can't imagine people actually paying for a sub to a game that isn't going to be built on. Just seems odd to me.
    The world would be a lot better of a place if people would just shut the fuck up and listen to each other and talk things out.