Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

From DK to Pally?

Long story short my main of 10 years looks to finally being put into the shitter in BFA and I'm seriously considering making a Pally as my main. Two-Handed Frost is gone, basically no mobility options, can't use any of the new allied races current or future and we're just boring and linear.

Ret paladins can wield two-handed weapons, have decent mobility and quite frankly just look cool. Coming off the new hero Yrel in Heroes of the Storm (a game I've played for 3 years now) also has some influence on this decision.

Thoughts on Ret in BFA?

Quote Originally Posted by itzLCD View Post
    Long story short my main of 10 years looks to finally being put into the shitter in BFA and I'm seriously considering making a Pally as my main. Two-Handed Frost is gone, basically no mobility options, can't use any of the new allied races current or future and we're just boring and linear.

Ret paladins can wield two-handed weapons, have decent mobility and quite frankly just look cool. Coming off the new hero Yrel in Heroes of the Storm (a game I've played for 3 years now) also has some influence on this decision.

Thoughts on Ret in BFA?
    Is this a meme?

If you are worried about mobility.. Don't bother playing Ret.

Of course pick ret! I so want you to witness our decent mobility firsthand

Well, the mobility IS better than that of a DK..

Anyway, what will you be doing? Solo? Mythics? Raiding? PvP? For solo and small group content, I'd say Retribution is looking fairly good for BfA. Not so sure about raiding or PvP though, mainly due to our track record of being "somewhat decent" or "almost good" in such scenarios, yet never quite there.

sure as sure it is better.
    Keep telling that to yourself.

It is objectively better, even without talents.

Wraith Walk: 70%, 3 sec duration, 45 sec CD
    VS
    Divine Steed: 100%, 3 sec duration, 45 sec CD

Retribution also has BoF for removing slows. So yes, it is better. I never said it was a vast improvement, hence the ".." at the end.

Retribution doesn't "also" have HoF.
    If you were any good around PvP , you'd knew Steed doesn't work without HoF.
    WW, on the other hand, is guaranteed to do what it is supposed to do.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maylander View Post
    It is objectively better, even without talents.

Wraith Walk: 70%, 3 sec duration, 45 sec CD
    VS
    Divine Steed: 100%, 3 sec duration, 45 sec CD

Retribution also has BoF for removing slows. So yes, it is better. I never said it was a vast improvement, hence the ".." at the end.
    The problem here is that you need to use Freedom first in order to make Divine Steed usable in any encounter that can slow you down, so you need to waste a bit more time before you can use DS. Then you better hope the enemy can't remove freedom from you.

Then it's also the case that Death Knights can death grip people to them, while Paladins can't - thus, DKs got a gap closer which Paladins, do not.

Granted, I don't know if itzLCD do PvP or PvE, since then the gap closer won't matter as much in PvE and thus wouldn't need Freedom to begin with.

Right, so Retribution has better mobility in the vast majority of cases, meaning it's better overall. There's no denying that DK is the slowest class in the game, hands down. It simply is. They're practically walking backwards at this point. And in BfA, WW is even becoming a talent if I recall correctly. They'll have zero baseline abilities to improve their movement or remove slows. The whole thing is hilarious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Ret mobility is trash tier. Divine Steed is being nerfed too. The only thing we have over Frost DK’s is survivability.

I’d honestly just stick with your main rather than having to grind up all your reps again and whatnot.

@Maylander
    You are so clueless it is mildly amusing.
    Check your facts.
    Check your knowledge.
    Check your education on the topic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm Against Many View Post
    Of course pick ret! I so want you to witness our decent mobility firsthand
    Jesus christ you can't stop right?
    I don't even want to discuss about wether Ret Mobility is fine or not, but it's better than DK mobility any time!
    Go back into your cave.

Back to topic:
    I would wait until BfA. Frost DK is a really strong specc, also is unholy. Unholy is using 2 hander weapons and deal great damage, unfortunately it's not rewarded enough for the effort you put into this specc. Just try out Dk once BfA is released, Ret Paladin deals great damage and has fine mobility, but without wings they can't really do stuff.
    Last edited by mmoc34c907b79d; 2018-06-06 at 11:15 AM.

@Maylander
    You are so clueless it is mildly amusing.
    Check your facts.
    Check your knowledge.
    Check your education on the topic.
    I have all classes at 110 and play them all actively. I know my facts. Unless OP is targeting top tier rated PvP, Ret mobility > DK mobility. Easily, especially when talented (Cavalier).

Quote Originally Posted by UltraNic View Post
    I don't even want to discuss about wether Ret Mobility is fine or not, but it's better than DK mobility any time!
    Go back into your cave.
    Yeah, exactly. Anyone who's done a decent level mythic or raid on both a DK and a Paladin knows how much slower a DK really is. Cavalier and HoF makes a big difference, meaning Paladins can actually somewhat keep up, unlike DK's that just trail behind all the time.
    Last edited by Maylander; 2018-06-06 at 11:18 AM.

The grass is always greener on the other side.

Alas, you won't know if you like it until you, yourself, have tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraNic View Post
    Go back into your cave.
    Can't stop won't stop
    If you don't want to, then don't do it.
    Why would you barge in this topic and discuss it?
    You don't even want to discuss it yet leave your opinion on the matter, what a fine example of not being a hypocrite.
    Keep it up!

You know, there's this song about Ret and mobility, I shall sing it:

I've got no roots
    But my HoF was always on cooldown

- - - Updated - - -

I have all classes at 110 and play them all actively. I know my facts. Unless OP is targeting top tier rated PvP, Ret mobility > DK mobility. Easily, especially when talented (Cavalier).
    So you do know about Death's Advance in BFA, right?

Have you ever even played a simple BG as Ret? Divine Steed needs to be used with HoF to even not be snared.

WW removes all snares. You are clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by solvexx View Post
    Have you ever even played a simple BG as Ret? Divine Steed needs to be used with HoF to even not be snared.

Don't scare him away just yet!
    He might provide some entertainment for us

Deleted
    Can't stop won't stop
    If you don't want to, then don't do it.
    Why would you barge in this topic and discuss it?
    You don't even want to discuss it yet leave your opinion on the matter, what a fine example of not being a hypocrite.
    Keep it up!
    Learn to read. You know that I didn't discuss Ret mobility but Mobility at all compared to Deathknight, I don't know how that makes me a hypocrite
    But I know, you're that kind of people who need to fingerpoint at anyone who's not their opinion and blame them as a hypocrite so discussing the actual topic is irrelevant due to your attempt to discredit the other one.
    Also, you call people out that they should check their knowledge and facts, yet you haven't put up any data to prove that Ret mobility is actually really bad.
    All you do is basically "RET MOBILITY IS BAD" without anything to back it up but your own feelings.
    This is just pathetic

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by solvexx View Post

You need to consider the fact that HoF has just a 15 seconds cooldown and is nothing compared to the downtime in battlegrounds where you run around your mount and get into the enemy base etc.

you don't even know if he's even interested in pvp and outside of it paladin mobility is so much better compared to dk, it's not even worth discussing, especially since grip does not shore up the weakness at all

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaxus View Post
    you don't even know if he's even interested in pvp and outside of it paladin mobility is so much better compared to dk, it's not even worth discussing, especially since grip does not shore up the weakness at all
    I have played dk and Kil'jaeden was a nightmare. While other classes, Paladins included, had enough mobility to soak in every corner I could run back to the boss halfway because someone else soaked.