Page 1 of 2
LastLast

LF helping building a new PC

So I haven't ever build a PC myself, so I'm not sure if it's the way to go. However, if it's a decent amount cheaper I'm willing to try it.

Budget
    Around €700.

Resolution
    1680x1050 (22')

Games / Settings Desired
    I mostly play MMOs and occasionally big single player titles (Skyrim, Fallout etc)

Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)
    -

Country
    The Netherlands

Parts that can be reused
    Pretty sure none. These are my current specs. I'm not sure which tower I have exactly, but it looks alot like this one.

Do you need an OS?
    I'm currently using Win10 and I'm not sure whether I can transfer my OS from PC to PC. If not, I'll most likely try to pirate it if I'm honest.

Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?
    -

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i3-8350K 4GHz Quad-Core Processor (€179.00 @ Paradigit)
    CPU Cooler: Scythe - FUMA Rev.B 79.0 CFM CPU Cooler (€44.95 @ Paradigit)
    Motherboard: MSI - Z370-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€115.00 @ Paradigit)
    Memory: Kingston - ValueRAM 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory (€87.00 @ Paradigit)
    Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (€109.00 @ Paradigit)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (€84.95 @ Paradigit)
    Total: €619.90
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-05 16:39 CEST+0200

pcpartpicker netherlands is lacking a lot of stuff it seems, paradigit perhaps being the only netherlands website they use? i imagine you might want to shop around a bit more to find better prices, and maybe..

..an AsRock Pro4 or Extreme4 would probably be a motherboard i'd throw in, decent overclocking for the price!
    also that stick of ram was the ONLY stick of ram that site had lol.. an 8GB stick at 3000mhz would be what i'd look for, if not much more expensive.

i haven't included a graphics card or really left room in the budget for a brand new one, but i'd say stick with your 78xx for a few more months and see what the new nvidia offerings are + use that time to save up another €100 or so, then either grab a 1150/2050 or 1160/2060 if they are worth it! otherwise a 1050 Ti, RX 570 or something similar will probably suffice for that resolution.

Hi and thanks for the help! I didn't realize the Dutch version of that website is so lacking. Feel free to use the France/Belgium/UK version if you get more options that way. Also, if needed I can add a max of another €100 if that makes any difference. I'd honestly prefer a fully new PC (minus the case if reuable, I dunno) because my current one is very old and unreliable. Once again, thanks for the help. Very much appreciated!

Pretty tight budget there, especially with current GPU prices, something like this should still do nicely

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1500X 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (€139.90 @ Caseking)
    Motherboard: MSI - X470 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard (€130.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (€105.19 @ Mindfactory)
    Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€113.81 @ Senetic)
    Video Card: PowerColor - Radeon RX 560 - 896 4GB Video Card (€153.83 @ Mindfactory)
    Case: Fractal Design - Focus G (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (€50.98 @ Alternate)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (€78.45 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Total: €773.15
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-05 23:01 CEST+0200

Used German version, they tend to have decent prices.

Quote Originally Posted by the boar View Post
    -snip-
    Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    -snip-
    Ok, so after comparing GPU benchmarks, it seems like getting a new GPU isn't worth it at all. The AMD Ryzen seems very good for it's price and I've seen multiple people suggest it. So I'll guess it'll go with that one. I, however, do still have tons of questions.

1. The tower case I currently have I might be able to re-use (still unsure)? How do I find out if it's compatible with the stuff I want or are most towers universal? Me not having to buy a GPU and tower case will free up more $$ for other stuff.

2. I am 100% clueless when it comes to the motherboard/power supply. Do I need a certain kind to be compatible with a CPU/GPU? Or what else does it depend on?

3. Can I just use my old GPU with another motherboard/CPU/whatever? No incompatibility issues?

Can't thank you guys for the help enough, btw.

1) most computers cases are compatible with most common hardware, do note that this is not always the case with prebuilt computers like HP, dell etc.. If you can tell us the exact model you have we can better advise you, pls do note that older cases wont have USB 3.0 front headers usually.

2) power supply and mobo/GPU are all compatible with each other, also pcpartpicker would tell you if something was incompatible. (the ATX bit in the name gives it away, mobo, PSU and case are all ATX)

3)You should be able to reuse your old GPU pci express ports are forward and backwards compatible

1) most computers cases are compatible with most common hardware, do note that this is not always the case with prebuilt computers like HP, dell etc.. If you can tell us the exact model you have we can better advise you, pls do note that older cases wont have USB 3.0 front headers usually.

2) power supply and mobo/GPU are all compatible with each other, also pcpartpicker would tell you if something was incompatible. (the ATX bit in the name gives it away, mobo, PSU and case are all ATX)

3)You should be able to reuse your old GPU pci express ports are forward and backwards compatible
    1. Alright. I see. I can't really tell what model it is as I can't find any obvious brands other than some odd logo looking like it says E-Lite or w/e. I'm just going to assume the tower is fine, I think?

2. If that's the case, what makes you pick one power supply over the other? Do some CPUs/GPUs need more power than others and if yes, it is listed somewhere?

3. That's great! Still most PC terms you use I don't understand, but as far as I can tell all should be good.

Now the question is: I now have another 100 to 150 euros to spend. Anything worth upgrading/buying other stuff like vents/cooling? Or is it good as is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lolstorm View Post
    I'm currently using Win10 and I'm not sure whether I can transfer my OS from PC to PC. If not, I'll most likely try to pirate it if I'm honest.
    https://www.kinguin.net/category/221...-home-oem-key/

May as well have support. Much cheaper than a box copy.

- - - Updated - - -

I now have another 100 to 150 euros to spend. Anything worth upgrading/buying other stuff like vents/cooling? Or is it good as is.
    Get yourself a decent headset or keyboard/mouse, or save the cash for a gpu upgrade.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Could it be this?

Quote Originally Posted by saraxp View Post
    https://www.kinguin.net/category/221...-home-oem-key/

May as well have support. Much cheaper than a box copy.

- - - Updated - - -

Get yourself a decent headset or keyboard/mouse, or save the cash for a gpu upgrade.
    I guess I can't transfer my Windows 10 from PC to PC then? If not, that's ok. I might buy it somewhere else like the website you linked it then. As for the headset/keyboard/mouse. I have pretty good ones. Guess I'll just save up or wait for the prices to down then.

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Could it be this?
    Mine looks 95% the same yeah! Only difference I notice is my power button is in a different place and that logo is slightly higher up.

2. If that's the case, what makes you pick one power supply over the other? Do some CPUs/GPUs need more power than others and if yes, it is listed somewhere?

Wattage usage is not always as easy to find out, CPU's usually get a TDP rating which is more temperature related but does give a good indication of what is needed, the CPU I chose is a 65 watt TDP, you also have 95 watt ones or therabouts (or even higher in the HEDT segment which is of no matter to you)

Graphics cards power draw depends highly on the model whereas the higher using ones are a round the 250 watt mark (iirc correctly the pci-e slot provides 75 watt a 6 pin connector from the PSU 75 watt and an 8 pin up to 150 watt) so you can more or less calculate the power draw when you know that (or look it up on the manufacturers website if it is mentioned).

Most other parts use very little in comparison, you then add some extra headroom depending on the use case (if you want to add more hardware at a later date like an extra GPU) having more output available does no harm having too little is a problem, most modern pc's should be fine with a 450 watt but I usually recommend 550-650 watts to be safe.

I mostly use jonnyguru's website to find out which brands and models are good (hardocp also does some nice testing in this area).

I see. I guess I'll go with your build with some minor tweaks then. I have a few more questions though (hopefully the last ones):

1. I want to re-use as much as possible from my old PC. Can I re-use this hard drive or is it not compatible (I think it's a HDD). If not, I'd like to add at least 500gb - 1tb more storage of normal HDD to the build if possible. What would be the best purchase?

2. Is the tower draynay found a "universal" tower? Or should I just be safe and buy myself a new one?

3. Do I need a different/extra CPU coolers or is the stock one fine? And what about tools (screwdrivers, tyraps, thermal paste etc)?

4. If I wanted to upgrade my PC in the future, can I just easily replace the GPU/add more RAM sticks with this build or do I also need to buy a new motherboard/other stuff?

Sorry for asking so many questions. I just want to get this right the first time seeing as this will be my first time ever building a PC.

I see. I guess I'll go with your build with some minor tweaks then. I have a few more questions though (hopefully the last ones):

1. I want to re-use as much as possible from my old PC. Can I re-use this hard drive or is it not compatible (I think it's a HDD). If not, I'd like to add at least 500gb - 1tb more storage of normal HDD to the build if possible. What would be the best purchase?

2. Is the tower draynay found a "universal" tower? Or should I just be safe and buy myself a new one?

3. Do I need a different/extra CPU coolers or is the stock one fine? And what about tools (screwdrivers, tyraps, thermal paste etc)?

4. If I wanted to upgrade my PC in the future, can I just easily replace the GPU/add more RAM sticks with this build or do I also need to buy a new motherboard/other stuff?

Sorry for asking so many questions. I just want to get this right the first time seeing as this will be my first time ever building a PC.
    1. You can reuse your HDD. I'd advise adding an SSD since it seems you can fit it in your budget. The one denpepe suggested is solid.
    2. Your tower should be fine but if cable management, easier building, and better airflow are things that concern you then you might be better suited with a new case.
    3. If you're referring to the ryzen build the stock coolers they come with are adequate and an easy way to save ~€30 (the price point where you can find some fairly good air coolers)
    4. You should have no problem upgrading RAM, GPU, and to a certain extent, your CPU in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo X View Post
    1. You can reuse your HDD. I'd advise adding an SSD since it seems you can fit it in your budget. The one denpepe suggested is solid.
    2. Your tower should be fine but if cable management, easier building, and better airflow are things that concern you then you might be better suited with a new case.
    3. If you're referring to the ryzen build the stock coolers they come with are adequate and an easy way to save ~€30 (the price point where you can find some fairly good air coolers)
    4. You should have no problem upgrading RAM, GPU, and to a certain extent, your CPU in the future.
    Very nice! And I was a bit unclear on the first question. I meant if I was able to re-use the HDD I currently have in addition to a new SSD. Sorry about that. Guess I'll be ordering some parts soon then!

Very nice! And I was a bit unclear on the first question. I meant if I was able to re-use the HDD I currently have in addition to a new SSD. Sorry about that. Guess I'll be ordering some parts soon then!
    Yes absolutely. You'll have to do a bit of work to get windows on the SSD and off the HDD but its nothing too hard and totally worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty tight budget there, especially with current GPU prices, something like this should still do nicely

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1500X 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (€139.90 @ Caseking)
    Motherboard: MSI - X470 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard (€130.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (€105.19 @ Mindfactory)
    Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€113.81 @ Senetic)
    Video Card: PowerColor - Radeon RX 560 - 896 4GB Video Card (€153.83 @ Mindfactory)
    Case: Fractal Design - Focus G (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (€50.98 @ Alternate)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (€78.45 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Total: €773.15
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-05 23:01 CEST+0200

Used German version, they tend to have decent prices.
    You could save him some money by NOT using an x470 board. Certainly an x370, or B350 board would be perfectly good.. and save some money in the process?

for example: here is a B350 board that will only cost €83 that is 50 off. He can use his old case.. that is another 51 off. That is €100 saved. Now he can get 16gb of DDR4@2666 (which is still better than 8 at 3200).

-------------

- - - Updated - - -

Mine looks 95% the same yeah! Only difference I notice is my power button is in a different place and that logo is slightly higher up.
    By slashing the needed purchases like I did above, you can actually get a new keyboard/mouse... you may need to go a bit cheap for them (I recommend an off-brand USB keyboard, and the Logitech G300s wired mouse) less than 65 Euro for both.
    "When you build it, you love it!"

Quote Originally Posted by bowchikabow View Post
    You could save him some money by NOT using an x470 board. Certainly an x370, or B350 board would be perfectly good.. and save some money in the process?

for example: here is a B350 board that will only cost €83 that is 50 off. He can use his old case.. that is another 51 off. That is €100 saved. Now he can get 16gb of DDR4@2666 (which is still better than 8 at 3200).
    No point gimping him for future upgrades just to get a new keyboard and mouse.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm Belgian, but I usually order my parts from The Netherlands.
    Sites I've used (and have good experiences with): megekko.nl and azerty.nl
    Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI CODE | Intel Core i9-9900k | 32GB RAM DDR4-3200 CL16 | ASUS RTX 2080 SUPER

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo X View Post
    No point gimping him for future upgrades just to get a new keyboard and mouse.
    It's not about gimping upgrades.. it is about the fact that unless he is planning on doing a bunch of "under the hood" stuff, an x470 board is beyond excess. no point in spending outside of a solid cost to use balance. Even without the keyboard/mouse When working on a tight budget, every dollar matters. If he doesn't use it on board/mouse, he can use it on another substantive upgrade...

lets forget the keyboard/mouse. let's forget doubling the RAM.. he could upgrade to a Ryzen 2600 instead. more cores, higher clock speed, no downsides.

The point is, it's not about gimping... it's about doing more to min/max.
    Last edited by bowchikabow; 2018-06-08 at 12:54 AM.
    "When you build it, you love it!"

Bumping this as I am about to receive my new parts by mail soon. So far I've bought the following:
    https://de.pcpartpicker.com/user/Tolemi959/saved/FVGsJx

The first 4 I have bought. The other 2 I will be re-using from my old PC. I'm about to build my first PC ever and I still have questions hoping to be answered.

First off, I know I am not upgrading my GPU to a better one due to them being very costly currently. Am I really gimping myself here? Is it a massive bottleneck and how much of an issue will this become? Like I've said before, I mostly play MMOs. Will my FPS improve in WoW with this CPU upgrade or won't it matter as much?

Secondly, I realized I bought a single stick of RAM (2x4GB) for the new motherboard. Is this an issue? Doesn't a motherboard rather have me occupy at least 2 slots? Reminder, I basically have zero knowledge of PCs. EDIT: Nvm, I think it's 2 sticks of 4GB each? Unsure.

Next up is the SSD. I want to install Windows on the SSD for faster boot times, but also re-use my old HDD. How do I do this? Should I unplug the HDD until I have Windows installed so I can "force" it onto the SSD? Also, should I reformat the HDD before re-using it?

I also opened up my PC and noticed a few things. I have a power supply of 500W. Is this enough for what I'm going to use? Also, my current PC has 8GB of RAM total available according to the device manager, yet my motherboard has 4 stick of RAM (2x 4GB DDR3, 2x 6GB DDR3) installed? What gives?

And lastly, what happens if I don't use a Windows 10 product key? I know you can skip the enter product key section when installing Windows 10, but are there any negatives to not using one? Will I not be able to access certain features?

Thanks guys, loving the help!

P.S. @Palaplu, I've bought the parts @megekko.nl
    Last edited by lolstorm; 2018-06-16 at 10:55 PM.