Poll: Which would you choose?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    1k a day easy. People taking the lump sum are very bad at future management, unless you're older there is no reason to not take the 1k a day. You'd have a constant revenue stream instead of a slowly dwindling 10 million and investments aren't a guarantee of money back.

Let's say the federal government takes 25% and the state takes 10%, and assuming you earn at lest 6% return a year by investing.

10,000,00 *.65 = 6,500,000 *.06 = 395,000 per year.

vs 1,000 * 365 = 365,000 per year.

And I didn't even include taxes for the 1,000 option.
    Last edited by Hilhen7; 2018-06-06 at 01:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    $10 million if you understand how to handle it. Considering inflation, the $1k / day won't even reach the current value of $10 million in most people's lifetime.

Furthermore, $10 million today lets you pay off debts now and still invest the majority of it in a variety of ways which means it will generate more income over your lifetime...making this the easiest choice.

Note 1: This is why people born to the rich have a major unfair advantage. Having millions handed to them as an adult is worth many, many times more than earning a similar amount over your life.

Note 2: Understanding how to handle it is extremely important. Most poor people who win the lottery mess up because they think they have unlimited money, and end up in a worse financial situation. Rich people get and stay rich because they were taught early to be jerks and be miserly about their money.

There is a vast difference between being rich and having a vast income of wealth. Which is why lotto winners go broke.

1000k a like guarantee by the underwriting is worth a fuck of a lot more than 10 million. It’s credit if you educate yourself and with that kind of money 1000k a day you could. It’s also not enough to get into too much trouble before you learned.

That’s the difference between the wealthy and those that get rich. It’s also why people who inherit money keep it.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    1k a day easy. People taking the lump sum are very bad at future management, unless you're older there is no reason to not take the 1k a day. You'd have a constant revenue stream instead of a slowly dwindling 10 million and investments aren't a guarantee of money back.
    Yes, because every millionaire got their fortune by saving and not investing.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles Worth View Post
    10 million up front easy. I can help out many more people now than later.
    You aren’t making 3k let alone 1k a day on 10 million 30 or 90k interest a month. Eh no!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    $10 Million Dollars USD or $1,000 a day for the rest of your life?

Why?

Both are taxed at their standard %
    1.000 dollars pr. day for the rest of my life please.

It isn't much but I expect or aim for 40 years more, so it'll give me a little over 4 million extra.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

However I was talking about interest and on average. 10 million is a nice chunk don’t get me wrong. But if you have a gift for turning that into 1000 a day. You’re probably worth a lot more than 10 million.
    You can put it in almost any wealth management fund and get those returns (seriously, 5% isn't bad, but it's not good either). If feels like you've never talked to a financial planner before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    Yes, because every millionaire got their fortune by saving and not investing.
    Every millionaire also had a steady stream of income, which 1k a day would entail. You wanna buy a nice new house with that 10 million? That ROI just went down and will continue to go down on every purchase not bought with the money earned on top of the 10 million.

Most millionaires/billionaires got their money from a business that made them that. 1k a day is safer and smarter.

Also ontop of the fact that you would have a lower tax rate for getting the 1k a day, so you'd be saving that way too. This is why people constantly go broke after lottery winnings because of a complete lack of forethought.

I'd go for the 1k a day. 7k a week, 364k a year, 3.6m a decade. Two a bit decades covers the costs.

If I was given 10 mil upfront, I'll be generous and say I'd have blown through two million in the first year at the most. My break down would be roughly

Two new cars for my folks: <100k (mum would be happy with a nice small car, old man would want a ranger rover)
    Pay rest of their mortgage: 10k.
    Buy the house off them (As they are planning to sell and it's the 'family home'): 250k (Bottom estimate).
    Buy my own place: 500k
    Set aside cash for both houses bills for the rest of days: Easily 300k upwards

That's just a million to get us all comfortable. Once I dish out some to extended family etc. It'll go easily hit that 2nd million. So that leaves me with 8 ish, which would be great. But then taking into account people pestering you, unexpected costs and the likes, I'd rather not have the hassle so to speak.

And I also think you need to take into consideration the amount of people who do win large amounts and piss it up a wall in a short amount of time. We can all sit here and say that wouldn't be me, but you never know how it might change you. Especially if you come from a harder background. While it's still possibly to piss up 1k a day on what ever, I'd generally believe it would be harder to fall into a cycle.

With 1k a day, I can keep living comfortably, help out close family and keep my money relatively quiet.

I'd also like the feeling of, "Well fuck, I did absolutely nothing with my day off, but hey I made 1k!".
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

You aren’t making 3k let alone 1k a day on 10 million 30 or 90k interest a month. Eh no!
    My aunt that I live with gets $1,000 a day for 20 years. I know what living with that is like and I choose 10 million now over that. I'd personally will never come close to spending that much money unless I throw it away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    You can put it in almost any wealth management fund and get those returns (seriously, 5% isn't bad, but it's not good either). If feels like you've never talked to a financial planner before.
    No you can’t and anyone telling you that bullshit is doing so because you don’t have 10 million or even a million. It’s stupid shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    A financial planner would never tell you to go for a lump sum, its about the future with them and 1k a day gives you a constant stream of revenue until the day you die.

$10 Million Dollars USD or $1,000 a day for the rest of your life?

Why?

Both are taxed at their standard %
    10 mil, I can take what I don't need and invest it now.

So, to summarize - 1k a day - very insanely boring people or people who have no idea how money works
    10 mil - people who know something
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles Worth View Post
    My aunt that I live with gets $1,000 a day for 20 years. I know what living with that is like and I choose 10 million now over that. I'd personally will never come close to spending that much money unless I throw it away.
    That’s great but you still don’t know how money works. You aren’t getting 10% or half of that on 10 million

1000 a day, it's a lot more money in the long run and is much more sustainable

Herald of the Titans OnlineSamantha's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well if you have faith in your ability to navigate and invest that’s on you. I don’t know you. Maybe you’re some kind of badass hedge fund guru.

However I was talking about interest and on average. 10 million is a nice chunk don’t get me wrong. But if you have a gift for turning that into 1000 a day. You’re probably worth a lot more than 10 million.
    You know there are funds for this kind of stuff right? You don't have to invest it yourself if you're that uncomfortable. You can even invest it in a fund while you're figuring out how to invest it for yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpresident View Post
    My words exactly. Manufacturing in the US is considerably more expensive than elsewhere, and part of that are savage regulations such as environment protection or minimum wages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    Saying that Wilson is a racist murderer is the same level of conspiracy as saying Sandy Hook didn't happen and the parents are in on it.
    I don't post that often, and when I do it's often in bursts. I always lurk though.

10 mil upfront, invest 80% of it and prob spend the other 20% to be honest (to include helping my Church , family and friends)
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

10+ Year Old Account
    10 Million for sure. I could buy my own Taco Casa and eat like a king for the rest of my life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    So, to summarize - 1k a day - very insanely boring people or people who have no idea how money works
    10 mil - people who know something
    That person that doesn’t know how money works is you. It’s also why a lot of people get fleeced being told bullshit they want to hear. Unless you’re a wall street wiz you aren’t making out better than the guy with hookers and drugs.

The truth is if you’re building any kind of wealth you don’t need 10 million. You need income a never ending pool of resources that can replenish itself or as close to.