Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    So please tell me what movie marked an entire generation recently.
    Looking back with 30 years of cultural hindsight at the classic movies of the 80's that marked a generation, then asking for what modern movies have the same cultural affect...
    Do you understand that what you're asking is impossible? We won't know what current movies have that same effect 30-years on for Gen Z until they've had 30 years to age, so trying to parse that out now is nonsensical.

The same reason video games have been getting progressively worse during the same time period.

The industry is growing, so each movie/game becomes a bigger and bigger project, costing more and more, and the more something costs, the less likely it is that they're willing to take risks.

So bigger production costs = less willing to take risks = more boring/uninspired/unimaginative products, for both movies and games alike.

EDIT: And in a similar vein too many people have too much input into movies now. They're becoming huge messes of people wanting different things, just look at the latest Fantastic Four or the mix and match Justice League who both are well known for having enormous production issues, to mention a few.
    Last edited by Thrif; 2018-06-06 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thimagryn View Post
    Kung Fury. 10chr
    Hey, let's be fair, Kung Fury is an 80s movie, it just happened to be made in 2015.

Because they were actually made with story in mind, and not just with a board of executives dictating more X and more Y and more Z. Also, story was king, not various examples of virtue signaling.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    Looking back with 30 years of cultural hindsight at the classic movies of the 80's that marked a generation, then asking for what modern movies have the same cultural affect...
    Do you understand that what you're asking is impossible? We won't know what current movies have that same effect 30-years on for Gen Z until they've had 30 years to age, so trying to parse that out now is nonsensical.
    But a lot of movies were instantly seen as cultural references.

Here is a link of estimated ticket sales for movies and how they rank for all time (posted by @exochaft)
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime...st_yr=1&p=.htm

As you can see "some" movies instantly marked a generation when they released.
    A lot of the movies from the list are from the 80's, 90's, early 00's.

I agree some movies need "time" to be considered a "masterpiece"...but look we are missing "cultural phenomenas" from this decade. No?

You only remember those movies that were actually good. You forgot all the garbage ones. At the same time, you remember most of the recent movies you have seen, including the garbage ones. In 30 years, there will be people saying the same stuff, because they only remember the good movies and not the bad ones.

Political correctness.

Not gonna take a stance on whether new or old movies are better, but fuck you for calling those time periods old and making me feel old!
    I thought you were gonna mention stuff like Casablanca, OG Star Wars, the first Nightmare on Elm Street, not stuff like Jurassic park and Godzilla, I am not old damn you x'D

they weren't all reboots because hollywood can't think of anything new.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

IDK, I mean I can't stand to watch the first 3 Star Wars movies. But love EP.1-3. I like the newer ones also. You get too used to good Special Effects and it's hard for me to watch a lot of old movies.

Nostalgia has transformed into some sort of god argument. What these "it's nostalgia" cult failing to understand is that I can still watch 12 angry man as it was recorded. It's not my brain playing me tricks, it's the same fucking movie that I observe and enjoy.

And no, I think I do not agree with OP. Most of the movies are garbage, regardless of period.

Fewer movies were made while its cheaper to make movies today. Good movies cost a lot too so

they arent better

you just remember only the good ones

that's it basically.

there are still fantastic movies made every year.

Quote Originally Posted by aeuhe4yxzhds View Post
    Fewer movies were made while its cheaper to make movies today. Good movies cost a lot too so
    one of the best movies of recent years "A Ghost Story"
    cost like a 100k to shoot :P

if anything most big budget movies suck and it's usually the smaller budget movies that are really good

ex machina, or room were also low budget movies and yet they were fantastic.

sure there are still big budget movies also that are good like mad max or the revenant or logan

but usually big budget movies nowadays are just stupid shit for the masses.
    Last edited by shaunika123; 2018-06-06 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    I think we have enough critical thinking to differenciate "nostalgia" from "quality".
    You don't. Which isn't to say that there isn't an actual quality difference, but it's dangerous to believe you are the exception to the rule. Any rule.

If you believe that movies were better back then, please help me discover the reason why.
    Money. The biggest-budget films in 1980 had a budget of around $35,000,000 (~$112 million in today's dollars). Most were substantially underneath this.

By comparison, films in 2017 were routinely around the $112 million dollar level and many were double that. This means, and shows, a number of things:

1) It's riskier for a movie to fail. That's why so much of what we see are reboots or sequels, and those that aren't mostly still follow the same formulas.
    2) There is an over-reliance on blockbuster films.
    3) There's less movie inventory in general. When you're dumping so much into your blockbusters, you're not making as many other movies. The public is also going to the movies much less, which also makes it harder to try something new.

Also, we don't remember the bad movies for long, for the most part. We do remember the good ones. So the past looks really successful because we've forgotten (or never experienced) the shit and only experience the gold. If we look back on 2017-2018 30 years into the future there will be a similar effect.

Those are possible reasons. Whether or not you believe the difference is real or imagined I leave to each of you to decide for yourselves.
    “Nostalgia was like a disease, one that crept in and stole the colour from the world and the time you lived in. Made for bitter people. Dangerous people, when they wanted back what never was.” -- Steven Erikson, The Crippled God

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SensationalBanana View Post
    Because Nostalgia is one hell of a drug.
    mhm....yup *scruffy voice*

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    OP is right thought. Think of any really good or even great movie that was released past the last 15 years and compare them to those that were released in 90-80th. There is no movies of Terminator/Die Hard caliber. You can pull of whatever the best movie of the last 15 years bar few (LotR etc) and it still would suck in comparison to Robocop or Rambo or Back to the Future or shit.
    Last edited by Harbour; 2018-06-06 at 07:28 PM.

10 years ago people said the same thing about the movies of the 2000s.
    10 years from now they'll say it again about the movies of the 2020's.

There have always been good movies. There will always be good movies.
    There have always been bad movies. There will always be bad movies.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    10 years ago people said the same thing about the movies of the 2000s.
    10 years from now they'll say it again about the movies of the 2020's.

There have always been good movies. There will always be good movies.
    There have always been bad movies. There will always be bad movies.
    Could you plz tell me what was the most recent cultural phenomena in the last decade?
    I would like to see a good movie from this decade.

The only one i came across was "Looper".

"While nowadays, we sit on top of "previous achievements" and we deliver "fast food" Movies. Very rarely we try something "new".
    Nowadays we rely on "brands", "titles", "remakes", "adaptations" etc
    Semms like today were are no longer trying to prove something and we are no longer trying to find "the next big thing".
    Its some type of conformism we have today."

hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa!. meanwhile guy is nostalgic about the 80's movies. good one. where you even alive then?