Poll: How old do you want to live if you could?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiwack View Post
    "Time is arbitrary. Taps egg."
    That was nice, thank you.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    I want to live as long as life has meaningful interactions. Medical advancements will eventually allow the wealthy to live for much longer, but I'd guess the vast majority of wage slaves will always live and die in a span of decades, not centuries.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd only want a longer life-span if it also meant I didn't have to deal with being in a biological body. Something as ordinary as eating is already a chore for me; it is difficult for me to eat enough food to maintain my weight and I don't derive any sense of gratification from eating.

Give me a robotic body and I'd be fine with immortality. Being human is precisely why being alive sucks, from my perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Until I get bored and decide it's enough.

Seriously, there's no point in going on for an infinite amount of time. At some point, I'll just get bored -- or perhaps I'll just have nothing left for me.

So in the end, I would love to live more than a single lifespan, but I'm not sure I'd want to live several thousands of years.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

With optimal health? Maybe until I'm too bored or depressed of life. If I'm still aging, to a point where my natural handicap prevents me from living an independent life.

Maybe set a sanity test that I would need to pass in order to access my medication.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

I want to live to 114, so I can say I've lived through three centuries.

103 years, 62 days, 52 minutes and 8 seconds.

for sure a few thousand years, millions might be too much.

Until I can't wipe my own ass.

We'll never know, Uther. I intend to live forever.

More seriously, It'll be like the elves of Arlathan in Dragon Age. After a while, we'll get sick of living and go to sleep in our own tomb.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seirith View Post
    This.

I know someone who is 102 and still drives, cuts her grass and volunteers part time and lives on her own and takes care of her own house. My aunt on the other had is 73 in a NH after having a heart attack, stroke and now has dementia and heart failure. She doesn't know where she is or most of the time who my mother, father and I are. She makes up wild stories not grounded in reality. She can't walk, can barely see and does nothing all day but dose off and wake up over and over.

I want to live until I am not healthy and able. If that is 150, great, if it is 65 also great. When life is no longer lived or fun, I don't want to live anymore.
    This. And since my wife is not in good health, I want to live long enough and be physically strong enough to take care of her. However, other than that, I am not in the least concerned about dying. I believe strongly this life is not all we are. It is only a stepping stone. So no need to wait and hope for a futuristic scientific discovery.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Until I can't wipe my own ass.
    Lol! Good one. Worth a good chuckle for sure. And I agree.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Where's the option for less than the current life expectancy?

As long as possible. Already married with kids. I wouldn't mind outliving them. Could always support the family from afar.

10+ Year Old Account
    I want to die right now.

I want to see the next Pangaea. That's going to take a while. Then my robot overlords can whisk me away to a new planet.

Would I want...
    Kids? Maybe...
    Wife? Absolutely.

7+ Year Old Account
    I want to live forever.

Deleted
    It can hopefully only get better after this world

Millions i guess as long as i dont look like the great, great, grandad of a California raisin!!!

Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    If the medical technology or some other kind of innovation was developed that you could live as long as you like at your optimum health how long would you want to live?
    Me I would want to go for Millions

Also Follow up questions?

If you could live as long as you like would you ever decide to have kids, or wait?
    Nope, if I did only if I felt it was prudent later.

Would you ever want to get married?
    Probably not unless she wanted to live as long.
    We meet again.

Honestly, I'm not going to answer the married/kids part because that's like a whole different topic regarding whether or not my so called extended lifespan applies to everyone or just myself.

As for how old i want to live, it's a good question i'll give you that.

Fairly speaking, from a logical stand point, everyone would want to live "forever".

But since i'm not a kid anymore i'd say living forever is actually exhausting and unrealistically taxing to the mind.

Matter of fact, the mind can never be altered by technology, if it does then it is altering your very existence and then we start to question existence itself.

So regardless of whatever technology is invented in the future , whether it be artificial bodies,eternal regeneration or consciousness uploaded ( although in this case i feel like the mind can never be uploaded digital only mimicked), i'm unsure whether the mind can truly stay unaffected.

Inevitably if we live long enough we are bound to get increasingly bored until there comes a point in life where nothing ever surprises you nor will ever bring you joy nor sorrow again, i believe at that point we are simply fading.

So I would probably say more than the normal lifespan but probably nowhere near a thousand years ( in fact I don't think anyone can retain their sanity after more than 300 centuries).

5+ Year Old Account
    Live forever and young looking. Never get married and never have kids.
    Last edited by Progenitor Aquarius; 2018-06-08 at 12:19 AM.