Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Koraggar View Post
    I took issue with this part of his review:

This is crap.

Go read King's blog. He was told to meet certain specifics but most of the novel was his doing. The writers have plenty of creative freedom regarding the novels and there is no reason to believe it was different in this case.

Additionally, Golden is on the story team now. At what point do we get to hold her responsible for her product?

The truth is simple - Golden is biased. Not a faction bias necessarily, but a bias towards a certain type of character. Characters that embody "non-toxic masculinity". She's built up Anduin as her pet character since Cataclysm and she refuses to write him as anything other than the do-no-wrong wonderboy. She also doesn't have a handle on - or simply doesn't enjoy writing for - dark characters like Sylvanas. And these biases are clearly damaging the Warcraft story.

People need to stop deflecting from this point with "b-b-but she wrote Lord of the Clans though!" Yeah, get it. She once did a good job with characters like Thall - LotC is actually my favorite Warcraft novel. But so what? Kanye once wrote good music too. I'd say her quality has been going downhill since The Shattering.

Agree that this novel was bad though. I'm sincerely hoping they give the this book the Wolfheart treatment by soft-retconning/ignoring specific events. It's the only way.
    Wahh. Lawful good characters are horrible. Mehhh. I only enjoy pure edge. Chaotic neutral at least, please. Wahh. Lawful goodie two shoes are propaganda against masculinity.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koraggar View Post
    I took issue with this part of his review:

This is crap.

Go read King's blog. He was told to meet certain specifics but most of the novel was his doing. The writers have plenty of creative freedom regarding the novels and there is no reason to believe it was different in this case.

Additionally, Golden is on the story team now. At what point do we get to hold her responsible for her product?

The truth is simple - Golden is biased. Not a faction bias necessarily, but a bias towards a certain type of character. Characters that embody "non-toxic masculinity". She's built up Anduin as her pet character since Cataclysm and she refuses to write him as anything other than the do-no-wrong wonderboy. She also doesn't have a handle on - or simply doesn't enjoy writing for - dark characters like Sylvanas. And these biases are clearly damaging the Warcraft story.

People need to stop deflecting from this point with "b-b-but she wrote Lord of the Clans though!" Yeah, get it. She once did a good job with characters like Thall - LotC is actually my favorite Warcraft novel. But so what? Kanye once wrote good music too. I'd say her quality has been going downhill since The Shattering.

Agree that this novel was bad though. I'm sincerely hoping they give the this book the Wolfheart treatment by soft-retconning/ignoring specific events. It's the only way.
    You mean it's crap because it doesn't support the mental gymnastics/headcanon of some people regarding how the Horde (and especially Sylvanas) has to be portraied? There is nothing new in that. Baine wanting peace, Sylvanas being being selfish and the Horde being the active part in the conflict. Predictable maybe.

Also I wouldn't call her having a bias towards Anduin. If you actually think about the development of Anduin he is definitly no "do-no-wrong wonderboy". He has done many mistakes and had struggles.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Archeus9 View Post
    Ouch, better don't tell that to Sylvanas, your warchief, she won't like it

What a sneaky little turn to feminism.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Im pretty sure pure pureness not questioning the Light Anduin gonna get his portion of shit in that Light Is The Enemy Add-on where he will trap into Y'rel's trap and become her anal slave.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vyalona View Post
    What a sneaky little turn to feminism.
    Thats pretty much what distinct the above average author from just and average author - you can't tell if its 'he or 'she.
    I cringed at that "and male and she was proud of it" shit.

15+ Year Old Account
    >Baine sends a mail with half his horn to Anduin, the Alliance High King, and openly questions the Warchief
    >the letter is delivered by Valeera, one of the most prominent blood elf heroes
    Nice Horde you have there
    The "one of the most prominent blood elf heroes" has so far been shown to: 1 - fight as a gladiator, enslaved by the horde., 2 - Fight for the Alliance in the battle of undercity. 3 - Fight for the rogue class hall in a neutral questline.

I wonder if we will see Sylvanas starting the first Azerothian feminist movement. After Jaina and Calia joines her, Alliance and the Horde would have a new sinister foe to fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Harbour View Post
    Im pretty sure pure pureness not questioning the Light Anduin gonna get his portion of shit in that Light Is The Enemy Add-on where he will trap into Y'rel's trap and become her anal slave.

- - - Updated - - -

Thats pretty much what distinct the above average author from just and average author - you can't tell if its 'he or 'she.
    I cringed at that "and male and she was proud of it" shit.
    Haha yeah it actually made me laugh how fucking buzzfeed-like it sounds.
    Just missing the usual "And that's a good thing."

As for myself, I don't give two craps about this "gray" stuff - if anything, it makes it feel forced, when suddenly everything we've known as evil is actually good and what we thought was good is evil... like "LOL OPPOSITE DAY xdxd"

10+ Year Old Account
    Ouch, better don't tell that to Sylvanas, your warchief, she won't like it

That shit's so on the nose.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    Masculinity. Concentrated toxic masculinity.
    That explains why I found my toon in a kitchen after AFKing a blight cloud.
    Fuck you, Give me Money- Bli$$ard

Deleted
    I cant seriously take the opinion of anyone who wrote this.

"Christie Golden has proven herself eminently capable of telling great stories in the Warcraft universe"

was never bothered by Anduin. But now don't like Golden tendencies to make him into Mary Sue. (fck shes so horrible writer)
    Last edited by mmoc2ce944bfe1; 2018-06-08 at 06:08 AM.

I love when people take a book thats 85% about Anduin and think they know the whole story direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    I love when people take a book thats 85% about Anduin and think they know the whole story direction.
    Not the whole story just the Alliance, which would be fine if the Alliance was just dopey humans and their useless friends from Ironforge.

Anduin and Sylvanas ARE the problem with BfA. Without them this would be a decent story. There is no Greyness. Not just from Sylvanas, but also Anduin.
    Last edited by TheEaterofSouls; 2018-06-08 at 06:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shandurp Failermoon View Post
    Not the whole story just the Alliance, which would be fine if the Alliance was just dopey humans and their useless friends from Ironforge.
    Even the Alliance story isn't close to known. The book is a tiny fraction of what's going to be happening.
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

5+ Year Old Account
    Even the Alliance story isn't close to known. The book is a tiny fraction of what's going to be happening.
    Alliance story is well known because bad writing is predictable AF. The Alliance will get the same garbage it got at the end of MoP. A 'victory' in name only, where the Horde remains intact, keeps its holdings, gives zero compensation to the Alliance, and the status quo is 'maintained' minus the only Alliance city that isn't a giant, steaming shithole, and that includes the newest dumpster fire of Boralus.

Alliance story is well known because bad writing is predictable AF. The Alliance will get the same garbage it got at the end of MoP. A 'victory' in name only, where the Horde remains intact, keeps its holdings, gives zero compensation to the Alliance, and the status quo is 'maintained' minus the only Alliance city that isn't a giant, steaming shithole, and that includes the newest dumpster fire of Boralus.
    Again you're making a huge assumption. Even the story on beta is confirmed placeholder and the real story won't be known until servers go live. You saying its going to be the same is the same as me saying that Tess is going to marry Anduin.
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

5+ Year Old Account
    Again you're making a huge assumption. Even the story on beta is confirmed placeholder and the real story won't be known until servers go live. You saying its going to be the same is the same as me saying that Tess is going to marry Anduin.
    Not making any assumptions. Expecting the worst because it's blizzard, and their stories follow a pattern: absolute shit. If it's not, it'll be a pleasant surprise. But I'm not counting on it, because it never has been anything other than that

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    "Something changed in young Baine after he was rescued from those rapist horse people".
    This would just explain so much. I'll never look at that mission same again.

Not making any assumptions. Expecting the worst because it's blizzard, and their stories follow a pattern: absolute shit. If it's not, it'll be a pleasant surprise. But I'm not counting on it, because it never has been anything other than that
    Everything you said is literally an assumption. Do you not understand that, do you not know what an assumption is? You do not know where the story is going, you do not know anything about how BFA is going to play out, you have zero clue how the game is going to move forward in the conflict. Not sure how much more clear I need to be.
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

5+ Year Old Account
    Everything you said is literally an assumption. Do you not understand that, do you not know what an assumption is?
    I already explained it, genius. It's BASED on PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE. It's not an 'assumption' it's a HYPOTHESIS.
    You do not know where the story is going, you do not know anything about how BFA is going to play out, you have zero clue how the game is going to move forward in the conflict. Not sure how much more clear I need to be.
    Clear the crud out from between your ears then. I have a good predictor of how the game is going, it was called 'Cataclysm and Mists of Pandaria'. Considering the writers are even worse now, I can assure you it will be shit. It's already starting out as shit as far as I'm concerned. I hate the Alliance, hate the Horde, only care about one race which is getting raked over the coals for 'Alliance' bullshit and to make the Horde look good and give Horde players something they've always wanted (and I'm fairly confident someone like me will get jack fucking shit). It's okay I've solved the problem, I've unsubbed, when they unfuck things they'll get my money back. it's completely open. You are just being silly thinking it's 'TOTALLY A MYSTERY¿????¿'