Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Donald Glover is the new Jai Courtney. Talentless actor they are forcing on us

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    The problem there is, what role would you swap a white man for a black man in? I don't particularly care about them swapping Donald Glover in here because the characters ethnicity has no bearing whatsoever on the character himself or the story in general. It's like the ridiculous concept of "Lets have a white man play Martin Luther King" that keeps getting brought up, it wouldn't work, because MLK being black is pretty much the entire point of any story about MLK being told, regardless of how ironic that is.
    Soooo what is it then what they´re doing in all the filns where they change the race of people then?

I mean if they were white first and it´s ok to change them into black why is it bad to have it the other way then?

Ah yeah ofc you can´t do that because blackfacing and such shit. But it´s ok and will be praised from all sites when it´s a white persone changed to a black one because that´s oh so progressive...

Quote Originally Posted by Tabrotar View Post
    Soooo what is it then what they´re doing in all the filns where they change the race of people then?

I mean if they were white first and it´s ok to change them into black why is it bad to have it the other way then?

Ah yeah ofc you can´t do that because blackfacing and such shit. But it´s ok and will be praised from all sites when it´s a white persone changed to a black one because that´s oh so progressive...
    Martin Luther King is a bit extreme because race is a key aspect of that story.

How about a white dude playing Michael Jordan? Race doesnt really matter with being a sports star. Unless they are saying white people cant be role models for the black community. Reverse racism!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Martin Luther King is a bit extreme because race is a key aspect of that story.

How about a white dude playing Michael Jordan? Race doesnt really matter with being a sports star. Unless they are saying white people cant be role models for the black community. Reverse racism!
    Who said anything about fucking role models?

It´s about changing the race of someone and only one side can claim it´s "Highly appraised and oh so great and will be praised as the next best thing since sliced bread.

Because god forbid we let established characters be themselfs noo we have to please the SJW crowd and change their race and gender because reasons...

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    So wait, if a character is not white, it's central to their character and how fucking dare you make them a white devil, you racist monster!

If a character is white, you get extra bonus diversity points for changing their race.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabrotar View Post
    Who said anything about fucking role models?

It´s about changing the race of someone and only one side can claim it´s "Highly appraised and oh so great and will be praised as the next best thing since sliced bread.

Because god forbid we let established characters be themselfs noo we have to please the SJW crowd and change their race and gender because reasons...
    Hint: Established fictional characters continue to be fictional and adaptations have free license to change what they will. The end product should be judged on its own merits.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    So wait, if a character is not white, it's central to their character and how fucking dare you make them a white devil, you racist monster!
    Not in the slightest, but don't let me distract from your "im totally not trigged by the SJW's :'(((' rant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even if they do this, all people will remember it for is 'oh yeah, they did try to make willy wonka black one time'.
    Johnny Depp tried with his own brand of weirdness, and it didn't work either.
    #boycottchina

I don't think that a black person should play people that are known to be white. It sends a wrong message. There are enough famous/fictional black people they can play. Why does it always have to be about a perverse culture that artificially praises a race because of wrongdoings it suffered in the past? Why not just take for granted that anyone can be what they can be through effort and intelligence? Why does it have to be a grim parody to appease the masses, a simulacrum that values apperances before the actual essence?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Hint: Established fictional characters continue to be fictional and adaptations have free license to change what they will. The end product should be judged on its own merits.

- - - Updated - - -

Not in the slightest, but don't let me distract from your "im totally not trigged by the SJW's :'(((' rant.
    so you'd be fine with a white guy playing the black panther? MLK Jr? Mohamed?
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

10+ Year Old Account

If a character is white, you get extra bonus diversity points for changing their race.
    Pretty much. If marvel made x-mens storm white, or black panther, or falcon, the cries of anguish from sjws would break glass.
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Even if they do this, all people will remember it for is 'oh yeah, they did try to make willy wonka black one time'.
    Johnny Depp tried with his own brand of weirdness, and it didn't work either.
    If they do this, and it sucks, pointing that out will make you a racist. Much like detractors of the Ghostbusters remake were labelled as misogynists.

Unless the race/gender was a big deal in the story, it doesn't really matter who plays it really.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

10+ Year Old Account
    so you'd be fine with a white guy playing the black panther? MLK Jr?
    No, as racial or ethnic identity is integral to the narrative in which both characters exist.

As said, if it were some AU version of America where whites were the oppressed class, maybe.

Mohamed?
    I'd be concerned about a white person taking a role from a demographic that already suffers from a lack of representation in media, yes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Emperor View Post
    I don't think that a black person should play people that are known to be white. It sends a wrong message.
    What message is that, exactly?

There are enough famous/fictional black people they can play. Why does it always have to be about a perverse culture that artificially praises a race because of wrongdoings it suffered in the past? Why not just take for granted that anyone can be what they can be through effort and intelligence? Why does it have to be a grim parody to appease the masses, a simulacrum that values apperances before the actual essence?
    Why do you have to couch bullshit in purple prose?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Almost everyone on Hollywood will do a better job than Depp, so Glover imho could be a solid choice, he could be silly enough and he has a lot of charisma for sure.

I want a traditional black character changed to white just to see the shit show in the media that would ensue.

I can't see Danny Glover being a good Willy Wonka though, just doesn't seem a role for him

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Pretty much. If marvel made x-mens storm white, or black panther, or falcon, the cries of anguish from sjws would break glass.
    Oh don´t you know? That´s the new big thing make a male and or white char and turn him black and or female and get praised by the fucking SJW crowd for being oh so progressive.

Meanwhile they wont make any money because said fucking SJW wont watch it.

I don't have a problem making white characters into other races but wouldn't it be better to just create good black characters? Instead of having a black man play a traditionally white character to show how diverse life is just make more movies with already non-white leads.

White guys play Jesus all the time, so why not?
    Help control the population. Have your blood elf spayed or neutered.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    If it's good, it's good. Don't really care what you look like.
    Well up until someone changes Storm to a Polish decent, then this forum looses its collective god damned minds over whitewashing.

I think the nostalgia of characters being set multiple times in one way establishes what "race" a character is. Similar to why the snake-variant Medusa won out of ACTUAL mythology being more avian harpy inspired. And people of the masses will respond in turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Eh, they can do whatever they want... I just won't bother watching like the recent Ghostbusters or Annie and such.

Doing that kind of thing for the absolute sake of forced diversity, on already established characters, just causes me to avert it.

Would be great if Hollywood did original stuff instead of cash grab reboots using diversity as their marketing ploy.
    to be fair, a ghostbusters reboot couly only work with a female cast.

make it a male cast and all you achieve is being compared to the original, and it could NEVER live up to those characters.
    just imagine shit like seth rogan as venkman.

the problem with ghostbusters isnt the female cast, the problem is that it's written by a moron and directed by an incompetent hack, who thinks pointing the camera and saying "go improvise stuff" is good filmmaking.