Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Do we forget Mary Shelley for Frankenstein and The Last man? Frankenstein is probably one of the more important works of literature.

Many also consider several works of Edgar Allan Poe Sci-fi.

Consider:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_fiction

10+ Year Old Account
    Gilgamesh is science fiction. Good luck predating that.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by saraxp View Post
    Gilgamesh is science fiction. Good luck predating that.
    I mean sure, if you use a definition of science fiction so broad as to be utterly meaningless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I mean sure, if you use a definition of science fiction so broad as to be utterly meaningless.
    http://www.scififantasynetwork.com/t...sh-sf-origins/
    Make your own groups!!!

The Egyptians, they had whacky headed aliens and UFOs!

Ever watched Stargate?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasRules View Post
    With the way people pretend the bible is fiction, why can't mythology be science fiction?
    Borrowing Didactic's quote:

Ron L. Hubbard perhaps?

10+ Year Old Account
    *slow clap*

Really compelling literary criticism brought to you by an internet hot take.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Science fiction is speculative fiction. There are elements of speculative fiction in writings as early as Gilgamesh. The thread is about the 'father' of science fiction. What are we really after here?
    Make your own groups!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by saraxp View Post
    Science fiction is speculative fiction. There are elements of speculative fiction in writings as early as Gilgamesh. The thread is about the 'father' of science fiction. What are we really after here?
    As I said;

a definition of science fiction so broad as to be utterly meaningless
    Genre is intended to be a mechanism of classification and creating a genre that fails to distinguish anything defeats the purpose of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Make your own groups!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Logorrhea View Post
    Ron L. Hubbard perhaps?
    He's the father of a religion, and coincidentally a science fiction author. Or is it the other way around? I always get that confused.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did everyone lose their god damn minds?

Its Isaac Asimov, 100% hands down.

(or the person who created religion )

10+ Year Old Account
    Congratulations, you appeared to have discovered wikipedia.

Let me know when you're actually going to address the point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Congratulations, you appeared to have discovered wikipedia.

Let me know when you're actually going to address the point.
    I'd rather not engage with you. The text speaks for itself, regardless of the source, with adequate references. The onus is yours to identify the proper progenitor of science fiction.
    Make your own groups!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Harlan Ellison is the bastard of science fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Louisa Bannon View Post
    Do we forget Mary Shelley for Frankenstein and The Last man? Frankenstein is probably one of the more important works of literature.

Many also consider several works of Edgar Allan Poe Sci-fi.

Consider:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_fiction
    I consider Mary Shelley to be the mother of sci-fi, like I stated in the OP.

The Odyssey used the science of its time.

Here's a TED talk on science used in the Odyssey.
    Last edited by Independent voter; 2018-06-10 at 03:22 AM.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

There isn't really one, it had a long evolution and didn't spring fully-formed from the brow of any one person.

It's not like Fantasy (or at least High Fantasy) where there's some equivalent of Tolkien.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Logorrhea View Post
    Ron L. Hubbard perhaps?
    He wrote B-grade pulp sci fi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

It's hard to pinpoint with much accuracy, owing largely to the fact that both "the father of..." and "science fiction" can be defined a number of ways.

For example, you could understand "the father of..." to mean "the first to write an SF story" - in which case you still need to define what makes a story SF. People often nominated here are Jules Verne and H.G. Wells, but you can go back further to e.g. Lucian or various mythologies, depending on how you understand the term SF.

However, you could also read "the father of..." to mean "the one who first defined it as a genre" - while Verne, Wells, and others may have written stories that we could now label SF, the term did not exist for them and neither did they categorize their works in a way consistent with modern understandings of SF. The term itself originated with Hugo Gernsback, and it could be argued that it is with him that SF as a genre originated.

Or you could take "the father of..." to mean "the first 'big name' in the genre", much like Tolkien is taken to be the "father of fantasy" when he clearly was neither the first to write it nor the first to define the genre. A name often offered here would be Isaac Asimov. Some would say this category should more accurately be called "the godfather of...".

There's room for a lot of interpretation, but some names do come up more often than others. As a literature scholar dealing with SF professionally, the three names I come across most often are Verne, Wells, and Gernsback. But that is neither comprehensive nor definitive. It's all in the discourse.