Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I don't have a washing machine, but when I get married, I'll have her in the kitchen.

Where on earth in the first world are washing machines installed in the kitchen?

What I have seen is the back door/mud room with laundry/kitchen door/guest bath all in the same part of the house.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Nothing like having a conversation with the wife in the shower while you're pooping on the john.
    Like "What's that smell?"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I've found this to be the case in most European apartments due to how small the space generally is.

Deleted
    When space is not an issue, people often request a separate room for the laundry.
    When you are designing smaller places, it's a bit dependent on culture. Some people like it in the bathroom, and they even hang clothes to dry over the bathtub.
    But very frequently bathrooms are placed in residual spaces, often without natural light. It's desirable to make such an space as tiny as possible, and whatever space you squeeze out of them gets used in more noble rooms. This makes it so bathrooms don't have much space for extra appliances. Kitchens, even when small, generally have sufficient space to have the machine in them.
    Plus... electrical sockets in bathrooms are not a great idea.
    Last edited by mmoc003aca7d8e; 2018-06-11 at 10:31 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ117 View Post
    To make it more convenient for your wife.
    We have a win here XD

Interesting and I hope this does not become a trend.

Here in Texas, we still have our clothes washer and dryer in the utility room in new construction homes.

http://www.longlakeltd.com/wp-conten.../06/217-LR.pdf
    http://www.longlakeltd.com/wp-conten.../02/270-LR.pdf
    http://www.longlakeltd.com/wp-conten.../06/271-LR.pdf

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Denning View Post
    Don't recall reading that bit.
    You must’ve missed the bonus extended edition.
    "I don't contemplate, I meditate, then off your fucking head" -Kendrick Lamar
    "If you have no sauce, then you're lost. But, you can also get lost in the sauce."-Gucci Mane
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"-Colonel Sanders

Quote Originally Posted by Rilch View Post
    In almost every 'modern' apartment/house designs I see washing machines being put in the kitchen. Like, you can smell your socks while making a dinner.
    Yet, in almost every design made by or for 'common people', they leave it in the bathroom where dirty clothes actually 'reside'.

Why is it so? Where would you want your washing machine at yourself? And why?

I remember seeing weird ideas where someone put toilet bowl in kitchen too lol...
    Washing machine being in the kitchen seems to be as sure as the kitchen being in the living room. I can understand neither.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Hellscream View Post
    I have never seen a house or apartment where the washing machines were anywhere else than in either a laundry room or the bathroom if spacious enough to contain it.
    My bathroom is about 6' x 6' but it is laid out in a way that one side practically screams for a washing machine. So, spacious is not really a requirement. (Though I could use some more room for hanging stuff.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nasriel View Post
    I live in Australia and every single house I've lived in has had a separate laundry.
    It may have something to do with the fact that you have twice the people my country has but hundred times the space.

Quote Originally Posted by Dald View Post
    I don't have a washing machine, but when I get married, I'll have her in the kitchen.
    Yeah, but what about the washing machine?

On topic: In every place i ever lived, or anybody i visited has ever lived, the washing machines were either in the bathroom or in the basement, both rooms which are very humid (and well ventilated) anyway, so if something goes wrong it won't do much damage and won't cause any mold in regular use. Which seemes pretty reasonable to me.
    Last edited by XDurionX; 2018-06-11 at 11:42 AM.

Deleted
    How can a violently spinning washing machine be good for your kitchen? Or you sanity, assuming you sit a lot in the kitchen or have it connected to the living room.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickynerd View Post
    Yeah the bathroom solution is ghetto imo.

The apartments I've lived in had a closet in the hallway across from the bathroom for washer and dryer. I've also seen apartments that had a shared laundry room (no thanks) but I'd say most houses in the US have a washroom.

Also curious on the units people in the UK use, smaller front loading machines, or heavier duty top loaders?
    Almost invariably front-loaders. My grandmother used to have a top-loading twin-tub but even that was kept in the kitchen, in the alcove where (long before I was born) the copper pot and mangle was kept for pre-automatic laundry.

I'm surprised how much of a problem some people have with the idea of a washing machine in the kitchen. Apart from anything else the kitchen is usually a nice warm room for drying clothers or, if it happens to be a sunny day, right next to the backdoor for outside drying.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's all about cost, putting it in/near the kitchen and bath saves on costs.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Almost invariably front-loaders. My grandmother used to have a top-loading twin-tub but even that was kept in the kitchen, in the alcove where (long before I was born) the copper pot and mangle was kept for pre-automatic laundry.

I'm surprised how much of a problem some people have with the idea of a washing machine in the kitchen. Apart from anything else the kitchen is usually a nice warm room for drying clothers or, if it happens to be a sunny day, right next to the backdoor for outside drying.
    Different cultures man, whats the norm and what isn't.

While front loading machine take up less space (if stacked) they are junk from what I hear. We spent about 2k on Maytag Epic Z set, while the dryer is really nice, the washer has nothing but problems, however 3 different repairmen have said it's not just our machines, or brand and you're better off with the top loaders.

Kind of curious if you have a lot of issues with tubs bearings, control panels failing and error codes, or the door seal leaking on the washer?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    How can a violently spinning washing machine be good for your kitchen? Or you sanity, assuming you sit a lot in the kitchen or have it connected to the living room.
    We have tile, I can't imagine how amazing that would sound.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

Nope no problems, I have had issues with a door seal but it was on a pretty old machine (10+ years) and really easy to fix.

I've never seen someone not have a separate room/closed off area specifically for the washing machine/drier here in the US. I feel sorry for UK if you have to listen to your washing machine while eating dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamilk View Post
    In a laundry room, like God intended. Yes, a separate room to house a washer and a dryer, along with storage for soaps and drying racks, counters, and other laundry accoutrements.
    Exactly, this. Our 'in between room', as we call it, also houses the central heating unit and the mechanical ventilation unit.

Kitchen, I know is a popular place because, of space and ease of access during cooking and so on. Space and Money are the #1 reason they are in the kitchen in the first place. Same goes for in the bathroom, space and money. However, I would much rather prefer washer and dryer in the bathroom than in the kitchen. Most clothes get changed in the bathroom anyway, so in they go to the machines. Now to be all honest, a different room completely would be the optimal goal. A wash room, with washer, dryer, tub for washer and things, drying racks, cupboards. Usually in the basement or somewhere else on it's own in the home.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamilk View Post
    In a laundry room, like God intended. Yes, a separate room to house a washer and a dryer, along with storage for soaps and drying racks, counters, and other laundry accoutrements.
    ^ This 100%.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.