Thread: Cyberpunk 2077

Well i guess the weather didint play well when they shoot this trailer, but hey, isnt it nice to have a nice weather ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nehezbegar View Post
    but hey, isnt it nice to have a nice weather ?
    I'm personally so over the whole dark broody rainy night "this is cyberpunk!" -trope that yes, yes it absolutely is.

10+ Year Old Account
    This game looks like some corny Watch Dogs 2 hot garbage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Enfilade View Post
    This game looks like some corny Watch Dogs 2 hot garbage.
    Better than some vomit-inducing, super corny, super cliche Deux-Ex-and-Blade-Runner-had-a-baby "I'm so emo, I'm so goth, I'm so cool, I've got black leather and big guns, I've got carbon fiber, I've got techno beats bleeby bleeby bluubedi bloo, I know what cyberpunk is!" dark rainy gritty noir night time hot garbage.

So based on the Gamespot interview its a FPP RPG.

Kinda disappointed there is no 3rd person alternative, why would i create a character and customize it if i cant see it .

I hope they will go with something inbetween, like when u iddle walking around the world its 3rd person but when u engage the fight its first person . There is a lot of butthurt on twitter atm so i can see they will change their approach to it....i hope because i am not super happy about FPP only

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm super excited for this game. The team behind RUINER is all working on Cyberpunk 2077: RUINER was fantastic, their inclusion gives me a lot of confidence. If any of you are craving a good cyberpunk game and haven't played it, I highly recommend it.

Kinda disappointed there is no 3rd person alternative, why would i create a character and customize it if i cant see it .

I hope they will go with something inbetween, like when u iddle walking around the world its 3rd person but when u engage the fight its first person . There is a lot of butthurt on twitter atm so i can see they will change their approach to it....i hope because i am not super happy about FPP only
    To be fair the in-game engine footage appears to be centering on the character with the Samurai leather jacket - so it might be the case that the more cinematic moments and videos in the game will use your designed character model, but the game itself, and particularly combat, will be experienced in FPP.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Some other news from recent interview:

1. They said there WILL be Blade Runner atmosphere with night, rain, neons and shit. But game will have day/night cycle, so in trailer they wanted to show us different perspective that is usually shown in this genre.

2. There won't be typical class system, we will be able to progress our character in different way - I guess its same model as Witcher with sword/signs/alchemy. We won't have skill trees for classes like journalist, these will be NPC-only classes.

3. We will have both melee combat and guns. Guns will have 3 types: usual, technical and 'smart' (don't remember what differences will be like). And game won't be FPS, it's classic RPG, don't worry if you can't shoot.

4. There will be two kinds of XP - normal for story quests and some kind of "street fame" for side objectives.

5. Main character is called V, you can create both male or female (both fully voice acted obviously), customize it (I guess it's for cutscenes, since CP77 is FPP) and chose backstory (it will matter in main quest).

Sorry if it's not precise, I write fresh from my memory.

Might be the first game I buy mostly based on who made it.

I want to see this awesome shit outside of cutscenes too

EDIT:

Shiet apparently its a cosplay, but cool anyways
    Last edited by Nehezbegar; 2018-06-12 at 08:11 PM.

I'm really surprised, and a bit disappointed, that this is only first person. Absolutely no third person available at all? All the big single players RPGs that I can think of offer both first and third person (except Witcher 3). I mean cmon, I want to see my character.

"It's an open world that you open up more with "street cred." For example, a specific jacket might raise it by 5%, allowing you access to new places.
    Completing a quest levels up your street cred."
    Saints Row: Cyberpunk confirmed?
    Last edited by DarkAmbient; 2018-06-12 at 08:38 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Better than some vomit-inducing, super corny, super cliche Deux-Ex-and-Blade-Runner-had-a-baby "I'm so emo, I'm so goth, I'm so cool, I've got black leather and big guns, I've got carbon fiber, I've got techno beats bleeby bleeby bluubedi bloo, I know what cyberpunk is!" dark rainy gritty noir night time hot garbage.
    I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with what I'll call the "Cybernoir" sub-genre: that markedly dark-cyberpunk aesthetic. Bladerunner & Neuromancer & Shadowrun did it all consistently well in the 80's.

Deus Ex 1 & The Matrix & Equilibrium did a consistent evolution of that "CyberNoir" aesthetic around 2000.

What failed aesthetically with Deus Ex 2 and 3 was never properly evolving that aesthetic - just trying to repeat the 2000's aesthetic: which now appeared extremely dated.

Deus Ex 4 (Mankind Divided) & Ruiner & Altered Carbon are all similar, and collectively different from the 2000's aesthetic, it's a small improvement perhaps more attributable to the quality of their refined execution - it's not an aesthetic evolution - but it is a tangible improvement in CyberNoir.

The real takeaway IMO, is that CyberNoir is due for its ~20 year evolution, and we haven't seen what it should become next yet: until it evolves we're just rehashing that 2000's feel.

The benefit of distinguishing CyberNoir as a variant or sub-genre of Cyberpunk, is that it allows us to talk about a different strain of Cyberpunk aesthetic which it more "neon lights and hoverbikes" (CyberPunk) and less "black leather in dark stormy nights" (CyberNoir).

Cyberpunk, in my mind, begins around the time of Akira (1982), where it is punctuated by a mega-city full of neon lights and hoverbike gangs. There are definitely earlier entries, but I'd call them proto-cyberpunk, in my estimation, the genre begins with Akira.

I can't think of another good example of the distinctly CyberPunk aesthetic (neon lights & hoverbikes) until Ghost In the Shell (1995) & arguably Hackers (1995). Followed by Final Fantasy 7 (1997) & Transmetropolitan (2001). Of course there are tons of other works, I'm just hitting the major highlights or turning points in the genre, particularly the aesthetic.

Since then, Cyberpunk (neon lights & hoverbikes) has been mostly in the hands of smaller works, the next major shift that stands out to me isn't until Remember Me (2011) & maybe Mirrors Edge (2009): interesting universes limited by mediocre gameplay.

Detour: Mirrors Edge is an interesting case because it's more accurately related to CyberNoir, but as a bright reflection of that dark genre. The themes of the Mirrors Edge games are actually Noir based - going back to Noir movies - your essentially a plucky detective investigating cases in that noir-style world - except instead of everything being black and rainy, it's blindingly white and sunny. Or maybe this is the birth of its own sub-genre - something like CyberBlanc. Alternately, CyberBlanc almost appears within CyberNoir worlds though as where the rich people live - so maybe Mirrors Edge is CyberNoir without seeing the Noir underbelly.

CyberPunk 2077 seems to incorporate both CyberPunk & CyberNoir aesthetics - and that's a great sign about the quality of the game world - usually narratives don't have time to explore both - but I'll be particularly excited if we see them execute well on the CyberPunk aesthetic - because it's been a LONG time since we've had a great "neon lights & hoverbikes" experience.

I know they will do CyberNoir well (Ruiner is arguably the best CyberNoir narrative in the last 5 years, and the full Ruiner team is working on CB77), and I'll never tire of well-executed CyberNoir - but we get that regularly in movies and games: it's the Akira-meets-Transmetropolitan experience that most appeals to me here.
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2018-06-12 at 08:56 PM.

You will be able to see your character. They confirmed that there will be alternate camera angle in game cutscenes for dialogue, just like the Witcher 3. Besides, they showed alpha gameplay behind closed doors. If CD Projekt Red hears enough people want third person gameplay they have enough time to add it and likely will considering they're pretty cool dudes.

Well, bugger ...

That's the game off my wishlist - I can't do first person perspective games due to motion sickness. Was very interested, I enjoyed Witcher 3 (RPG's aren't really my thing) and was looking forward to more of the same but more sci-fi'ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldielocks View Post
    They confirmed that there will be alternate camera angle in game cutscenes for dialogue, just like the Witcher 3.
    Witcher 3 is all third person anyway, you get to see your character all the time. I really hope they reconsider.

Quote Originally Posted by Davemetalhead View Post
    Well, bugger ...

That's the game off my wishlist - I can't do first person perspective games due to motion sickness. Was very interested, I enjoyed Witcher 3 (RPG's aren't really my thing) and was looking forward to more of the same but more sci-fi'ish.

Exactly this, aside from seeing the character, immersion and all that shit. Giving an option to have a 3rd person camera gives the motion sickness ppl opportunity to enjoy the game and from what i saw on twitter etc., its quite a lot of ppl.

Quote Originally Posted by Davemetalhead View Post
    I can't do first person perspective games due to motion sickness.
    I'm fine with it unless they use head bob (camera going up and down when you walk). Head bob gives me motion sickess. They better not have that shit in Cyberpunk, or if they do they'd better have an option to turn it off.

7+ Year Old Account
    I think in dialogs and cutscenes you can see your character like Deus Ex HR was.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    I'm fine with it unless they use head bob (camera going up and down when you walk). Head bob gives me motion sickess. They better not have that shit in Cyberpunk, or if they do they'd better have an option to turn it off.
    Pretty much every game ever with headbob has had an option to turn if off. Don't think you need to worry about that.

Deleted
    First the realistic Night City that isn't always rainy, dark and moody, and now, after 5-6 years of people claiming otherwise, we get a first person game? Ohh... CDPR, I love you!

And the cries over it being first person... The official forums and the subreddit are drowning in tears right now.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2018-06-12 at 10:22 PM.