Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I'm not surprised. The entire game is set up to be obnoxiously addictive. Some people can show restraint, yet impressionable people aren't likely to have much willpower. The parents likely aren't blameless, though.

Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post
    The parents should be ashamed for letting their daughter that's only 9 years old even play longer than maybe 1 hour a day in that environment.. I mean I remember when my parents didn't even let me play Atari or NES for more than 30 minutes every OTHER day... shits ridiculous these days with cell phones/tablets, etc
    I remember that to, on my Nintendo. If they had left me unattended I could spend hours on that. They never let me, and im glad for that today.

Its much more accessible to play games these days. PC, console, tablets, phones. And in a household theres probably more than one each of those. They can play whenever, wherever.

Also, kids these days spend way more time online. Playing games is "hanging out", instead of going over to a friend and play a game or actually go outside.

Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    yeah some people seek a cop-out claiming addiction, i am aware LOL
    ignorance is bliss, you must be as high as some drug addicts right now, but i guess they're not addictions either so who knows what the fuck you're on.

10+ Year Old Account
    If she was actually neglecting bodily needs to play, that sounds like an addiction. One aided by parents not parenting well, but an addiction none the less.

You can be addicted to anything, if that certain thing ends up affecting your brain chemistry (like not being able to be happy without said thing because of a rush of chemicals).
    Last edited by Crissi; 2018-06-12 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moveth View Post
    people are laying into the parents when they straight up said she was sneaking around doing it and literally hit her dad when he took it. Act like the parents didn't try to do something.
    The parents should have stepped in long before that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...oming-12673590

My question is, is this actually a thing or is this simply parents not laying down the law? Can a child actually require rehab for video game addiction?
    Great parenting.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    yeah this is shitty parenting, i have a 9 year old son, if we let him he would play computer games 8-16 hours a day and hardly ever eat.

thats exactly why he gets 2 hours a day at most, somedays he gets none when we feel he needs to spend more time being social and it in turn makes him a much nicer person to be around when he's not in a fantasy world gaming.

if you can't control a 9 year old don't call yourself a parent unless they have specific special needs.
    It's like you're saying just because your 9 year old is this way, and you treat him like that, means all 9 year olds will behave exactly the same under the same circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    If she was actually neglecting bodily needs to play, that sounds like an addiction. One aided by parents not parenting well, but an addiction none the less.

You can be addicted to anything, if that certain thing ends up affecting your brain chemistry (like not being able to be happy without said thing because of a rush of endorphins).
    thats just blatantly not true
    "Scientists say that more research is needed before they can tell whether being hooked on a video game is actually an addiction.

Addiction is more complicated than just wanting to feel good. People who are addicted to drugs often just want to feel “normal” or not bad. It’s also more than just the compulsive need to keep using a drug or engaging in a behavior. Addiction means being unable to quit, even in the face of negative consequences.

A person with a drug addiction wants to use drugs even when their grades have tanked, they’ve lost their job, and they no longer care about the things that were once important to them. When they aren’t using drugs, they feel withdrawal symptoms that make them sick. Scientists aren’t sure video games can cause the same effects."
    https://teens.drugabuse.gov/blog/pos...ion-is-it-real

10+ Year Old Account

My question is, is this actually a thing or is this simply parents not laying down the law? Can a child actually require rehab for video game addiction?
    This screams of parents not taking their responsibilities at hand and setting boundaries.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    I remember that to, on my Nintendo. If they had left me unattended I could spend hours on that. They never let me, and im glad for that today.

Its much more accessible to play games these days. PC, console, tablets, phones. And in a household theres probably more than one each of those. They can play whenever, wherever.

Also, kids these days spend way more time online. Playing games is "hanging out", instead of going over to a friend and play a game or actually go outside.
    100% agreed, and honestly I spent way too much time on games myself even - I need to get out more, even being as old ass as I am now: I still need to put limits on myself haha

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post

You can be addicted to anything, if that certain thing ends up affecting your brain chemistry (like not being able to be happy without said thing because of a rush of chemicals).

Agree that it could for sure be addiction, but I guess I just figured parents would care about a 9 year old more than say a 14 year old in High School.. Sucks that they will likely have issues forever at this point

It could be a symptom of a mental problem.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Also I want to add.. I know World of Warcraft aint shit right, I like it ok..

But Fortnite... that games fucken horrible. PugB is farrrrr superior... Kids playing the wrong game

most of those are like "uhhh probably, are we sure?, not necessarily and we need more research"

sounds like some real concrete proof you got there, but don't worry people are neglecting their bodily needs to extreme level, becoming antisocial losing friends/money, attacking others over this "non addiction" LUL.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    thats just blatantly not true
    "Scientists say that more research is needed before they can tell whether being hooked on a video game is actually an addiction.

Addiction is more complicated than just wanting to feel good. People who are addicted to drugs often just want to feel “normal” or not bad. It’s also more than just the compulsive need to keep using a drug or engaging in a behavior. Addiction means being unable to quit, even in the face of negative consequences.

A person with a drug addiction wants to use drugs even when their grades have tanked, they’ve lost their job, and they no longer care about the things that were once important to them. When they aren’t using drugs, they feel withdrawal symptoms that make them sick. Scientists aren’t sure video games can cause the same effects."
    https://teens.drugabuse.gov/blog/pos...ion-is-it-real
    That still matches up with a lot. Like not attending to bodily needs. Hell, workaholics will neglect family and the truly addicted will continue to do so even with the threat of divorce.

chasing that high can be done with a lot of shit, because no one likes being depressed as a result of a sudden comedown from lack of dopimine.

Video game addiction is a serious condition. I know because I experienced it for over 10 years. I missed out on so many things and experiences because all I wanted to do was play video games. It's my fault but Damn I will never get those years back and it was from 16-28 arguably the best years of a life. That's the tradegy these gamers are not going to realize it at first but years will go by and they will miss out on relationships, friendships, amazing real life experiences.

Blah. Damn young to develop the addiction to video games. Parents really should've stepped in much earlier.

This is how the world has changed. A big reason for many of the issues/problems going on. It is parents not wanting to be parents. Trying to push the responsibility onto someone or something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Zafire View Post
    It's like you're saying just because your 9 year old is this way, and you treat him like that, means all 9 year olds will behave exactly the same under the same circumstances.
    yeah if i was the father of that girl you can beat your ass she isn't playing 10 hours a fucking day.

don't worry i believe a poll on mmo-c showed over 95% of people here are not parents, so they can talk the talk but it's just talk and 0 experience.

but why would i believe all 9 year olds are the same? that's ridiculous who would believe that? everyone's different im not sure of your point.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    most of those are like "uhhh probably, are we sure?, not necessarily and we need more research"

sounds like some real concrete proof you got there, but don't worry people are neglecting their bodily needs to extreme level, becoming antisocial losing friends/money, attacking others over this "non addiction" LUL.
    if you cant be bothered to read the links, then there is no need to reply, as they very clearly contained more then, we are not sure and need more research.