Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    You're wrong. You can be addicted to anything. Its not the activity itself, but the way they make you feel. So while its possible to quit it, its hard due to the fact that the games make them feel better in someway. Its an emotional and psychological addiction. Its a very real thing. We are seeing more and more evidence of this. Times where people quit work to play a game. Times when people revolve their entire life around what goes on in a game. Anything you revolve your life around to such an extreme can be an addiction. You can break these addictions much easier though since they are on an emotional level. Often times by finding something else to fill that void and help you keep away from it.

That said, this is poor parenting 100%. They obviously had some indication that she was sneaking around. They should have punished her hard for the first time, and harder for the second. That system should have been removed after the second time she did that. The fact that she had such ample access to it to begin with shows that they don't care to be a part of her life enough, and now they toss her in rehab instead of dealing with it.
    you are wrong and ive linked evidence/studies earlier in this thread that agree

Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    ive linked research that counters that very point. you CANNOT be addicted to video games or work. only obsessed
    I don't care what you want to classify it as since an obsession can be just as detrimental to someones life as an addiction. There is no point in arguing semantics when the underlying issue is so similar.

That’s ridiculous. By that mentality massively obese people don’t have a food addiction. Just a food obsession. Such a silly statement. For people who are not much self conscious, they are susceptible to dopamine addiction. It is a bad thing. It’s instant gratification. Just like how people who are addicted to their phones. They say they aren’t, but take it away for a couple hours a see them start to panic.

thats an obsession not an addiction, addiction is far more then seeking a dopamine high, its seeking to bring yourself from low to normal, rather then normal to high.
    You sir, have no idea what an addiction is. Its not just seeking to bring yourself to normal. Its a compulsory habit that you cannot control. One that you would have severe negative reactions to the denial of. Take any cigarette smoker. You think they smoke to feel normal? Heck no. Its an addiction to the nicotine. That "calming" effect is literally their body being fed the nicotine that it has developed a dependency on.

Its clear you've never been around any addicts or seen just how hard it is for them to break that habit. Nor have an understanding of what it actually is to be addicted.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

ive linked research that counters that very point. you CANNOT be addicted to video games or work. only obsessed
    https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy...on-what-is-it/

Addictions are just harmful obsessions.

Quote Originally Posted by DrStiglit View Post
    Pretty sure that's just the currently accepted theory based on how little we know about how the brain works. How is being addicted to the stimuli produced by a video game any different than that of drugs or alcohol?

But I don't care what you want to classify it as since an obsession can be just as detrimental to someones life as an addiction. Just should be easier to correct than an actual substance addiction.
    correct, i am arguing addiction vs obsession, not that both cannot cause issues that need to be addressed. obsession taken to an unhealthy level can absolutely be as detrimental as other mental conditions.

- - - Updated - - -

You sir, have no idea what an addiction is. Its not just seeking to bring yourself to normal. Its a compulsory habit that you cannot control. One that you would have severe negative reactions to the denial of. Take any cigarette smoker. You think they smoke to feel normal? Heck no. Its an addiction to the nicotine. That "calming" effect is literally their body being fed the nicotine that it has developed a dependency on.

Its clear you've never been around any addicts or seen just how hard it is for them to break that habit. Nor have an understanding of what it actually is to be addicted.
    its clear you have never done research to understand the difference between addiction and obsession

While I couldn't really care less about the semantics here since they both have the same effect I will say a lot of people smoke to maintain feeling normal since if they stop they feel like shit.

- - - Updated - - -

correct, i am arguing addiction vs obsession, not that both cannot cause issues that need to be addressed. obsession taken to an unhealthy level can absolutely be as detrimental as other mental conditions.

- - - Updated - - -

its clear you have never done research to understand the difference between addiction and obsession
    I should have read a couple more post down before commenting and I would have phrased differently. Never realized there was that difference between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by moveth View Post
    people are laying into the parents when they straight up said she was sneaking around doing it and literally hit her dad when he took it. Act like the parents didn't try to do something.
    I know lol. All these sub-18 year old kids and manchildren adults with no experience raising or even watching kids casting their judgments on people they've never even met. It's hilarious(ly sad).

Quote Originally Posted by Naadir View Post
    Is the game that good? Might try it myself.
    It's really bad from a mechanical standpoint. Shooting feels like shit and the PvP building aspect also feels like shit. Basically it feels exactly like a PvE game that had a PvP mode quickly slapped onto it, which is what it is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Jesus fucking christ dude. Obsession is a literal synonym to addiction.

Just stop. You're embarrassing yourself.
    It's not, though. They're mutually comparable words but they're not exactly the same definition, especially in a medical sense. For the record, a synonym is a similar word- not an exact similar meaning.

Someone can be obsessed with WoW, i.e., know all about the lore/the characters/collect the merchandise/etc. Someone can be addicted to WoW, i.e., gets angry if they can't play it/can't function properly without it/forms a physical dependency on access to it/etc.

Big difference between the two.

you are wrong and ive linked evidence/studies earlier in this thread that agree
    No, you're wrong. lets break down your Links, shall we?

http://www.businessinsider.com/being...ns-why-2017-10 - opnion

http://www.businessinsider.com/being...ns-why-2017-10 - opinion based on a study from a questionnaire.

https://peerj.com/articles/3838/#p-36 - Did you read this? It agrees with me. Its a psychological disorder with varying degrees that comes from not getting their needs met in other ways. Not only that, but it even goes on to say that more studies are needed to determine specifics. So congrats, you posted a study against your view point.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0caa1687a5eb2 - opinion article again

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...n-really-exist - another opinion that cites wikipedia

http://www.techaddiction.ca/video_game_addiction.html - opinion article that is going over pros and cons

https://www.usnews.com/opinion/polic...-not-a-disease - opinion that admits there is hardly any research on the topic

https://teens.drugabuse.gov/blog/pos...ion-is-it-real - another opinion that, again, says more research is needed.

So, what do we have? You posting a bunch of opinion articles, most say more research is needed. And 1 actual research piece that Literally supports me. So thanks, you proved my point. Its not like other addictions. Its more psychological and more studies are needed before they can get the proper classification for it since they have yet to nail down the exact triggers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DrStiglit View Post
    While I couldn't really care less about the semantics here since they both have the same effect I will say a lot of people smoke to maintain feeling normal since if they stop they feel like shit.
    Yup. That is the adverse side effects I was speaking about. Their body has developed a dependency upon it and Need it to. While having it doesn't maintain normalcy, not having it makes their body negatively react.
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

snip
    those "opinion" articles contain sources and studies. try again

These battle royale games...and fortnite ffs...I installed it. Got into the first game. Killed 6 and and when I died there were 13 people left. Too easy too boring with terrible characters and graphics. And people get addicted to pubg, fortnite, kouyakoudou... This is what degeneration looks like in fps gaming.

Uh huh. Talking to a dude who has lived it so yeah, kinda have done the research by Living through it. You want to know what the difference is? Both are hard to break. Both create habits revolved around each. Both may even have adverse effects if you try to stop. However, one is more powerful then the other. One is much harder to break. You can lose interest and stop obsessing over something far more easily then breaking an addiction. More often then not, even obsessing wont have the effects this girl went through.

Uh huh. Talking to a dude who has lived it so yeah, kinda have done the research by Living through it. You want to know what the difference is? Both are hard to break. Both create habits revolved around each. Both may even have adverse effects if you try to stop. However, one is more powerful then the other. One is much harder to break. You can lose interest and stop obsessing over something far more easily then breaking an addiction. More often then not, even obsessing wont have the effects this girl went through.
    sounds like you have extreme bias and cannot be used as a reliable source due to that.

those "opinion" articles contain sources and studies. try again
    I don't need to. You proved me right with your only study you linked. Im not going through a link of a link to another link of a link. Directly link the study or don't link it at all.

I don't need to. You proved me right with your only study you linked. Im not going through a link of a link to another link of a link. Directly link the study or don't link it at all.
    you clearly didnt read the study you think proves you right lol

sounds like you have extreme bias
    That is not what that term means. Now this is just getting annoying. Link a bunch of bs and now you are trying to incorrectly use a term to describe something. Are you here to even discuss this issue?

The girl had a problem that her parents caused. Plain and simple. Addiction or not, her parents could have stopped it.

That is not what that term means. Now this is just getting annoying. Link a bunch of bs and now you are trying to incorrectly use a term to describe something. Are you here to even discuss this issue?

The girl had a problem that her parents caused. Plain and simple. Addiction or not, her parents could have stopped it.
    yes, they could have stopped it. very easily at that.

Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    I know lol. All these sub-18 year old kids and manchildren adults with no experience raising or even watching kids casting their judgments on people they've never even met. It's hilarious(ly sad).
    Well, I wouldn't call them parents of the year, but the fact that the child's condition got to such an extreme point in the first place is likely a lack of parenting. I've let my kid game for hours on end, but I also make sure I know what's going on and ensure there are boundaries that are not crossed. I ensure my kid is still respectful and can survive without internet or gaming, and I make sure he doesn't even approach that level of obsession. It doesn't matter if the kid was trying to sneak out to play in the middle of the night, that's super easy for an attentive parent to figure out from such a young kid... unplug your internet, password protect it, set up timers and quotas on your router, hide the equipment or power cords, the list is endless. If anything, I'd suspect the parents didn't set up any solid boundaries, and it was too late before they realized that a lack of boundaries led to a serious problem.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

you clearly didnt read the study you think proves you right lol
    Im done here. At least replying to you Here is a breif excerpt from the conclusions they made

This work also provides some data to guide future work in this area. For example, we found evidence that individual IGD symptoms may remain stable over a brief period of time, yet individual diagnoses appear not to be. Support for the basic psychological needs for competence, autonomy, and relatedness lead to declines in IGD over time, though we did not observe direct effects of IGD on health over time. Tentative evidence consistent with motivational theory suggested IGD may have an indirect effect on health insofar as it undermines need support, yet further research is needed to determine the conditions underwhich such links endure
    I know that needs to be made simple, so I'll make it simple. More research is needed, however they were able to find that it may have an impact on the health.