Page 1 of 3
LastLast

No tier sets in BFA, does that preclude new class-themed armor?

Like the title says, I'm just wondering if the new armor direction in BfA is going to prevent any new class-themed sets to happen, going forward.

I was a really big fan of the Tomb sets, the HD updates of old Tier 6 armor sets, it was a really cool thing to see, and I was really hoping to see more HD sets happen. As an example, I was really hoping to see an HD updated Tier 2.

But since there aren't gonna be tier sets, is that a thing that won't ever happen again, or do you think that it still can, just perhaps from different sources (like armor ensembles)?

10+ Year Old Account
    They have said that they want armor to be themed to the raid, not the class. For example, plate armor from Uldir will feature a troll theme, rather than another paladin/warrior/death knight one.

No idea. We can only speculate, since nothing has been said yet. Though I have a pretty sneaky suspicion that we'll be getting tier sets back after BfA, once they consider the "no more tiers" thing a failed idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    They have said that they want armor to be themed to the raid, not the class. For example, plate armor from Uldir will feature a troll theme, rather than another paladin/warrior/death knight one.
    I'm aware of this. That's exactly what I'm saying when I say the "new armor direction in BfA" is those exact dev quotes. Explaining things that I already know, doesn't answer my question.

Even if raids don't have class-themed armor, I'm wondering if class-themed armor could possibly come from other sources, or we could get class armor from some other content.

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    It's more of troll-titan theme, or as some have called it, the poor man's dwemer .

I still hope we will get more class sets in the future after their little deviation in BfA. While they act like they have explored every mage set under the sun, the truth is especially some of the older sets look rather generic. Overall for most classes 21 tier sets does not mean they have 21 decent looking armors, most of the time these are hit and miss, some are so generic that associating them with one class is actually faily difficult and overall I think I only ever liked a hanffull of sets for each class. The last legion tier had some great ones, but for other classes they look just lame.

Well,if they plan only to make a single armor set for each armor type per raid,I'd say,that it's a total slack. Tier sets always brought some unique vibes to each class,but if everybody is going to run around with the same armor,especially if it's focused on raids theme,that sucks.Heck,troll armor is only fitting for the trolls and many classes are going to look pretty dumb with it - imagine Zul'aman plate set.

10+ Year Old Account
    the lack of class specific armor in bfa is pretty shitty and i feel like blizzard will backtrack on that next expansion. just feels like a weird choice considering all their harping on "class fantasy" and whatnot
    3ds fc 0576 4895 9192
    ice safari with snorunt sneasel and lapras

pm me if you add me!

Yeah, one set only for each type of armor. Prepare to have the same look everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Felixon View Post
    Well,if they plan only to make a single armor set for each armor type per raid,I'd say,that it's a total slack. Tier sets always brought some unique vibes to each class,but if everybody is going to run around with the same armor,especially if it's focused on raids theme,that sucks.Heck,troll armor is only fitting for the trolls and many classes are going to look pretty dumb with it - imagine Zul'aman plate set.
    I'm super not worried about which gear looks dumb or not. Transmog exists for a reason. If you don't like the look of any given set, you can always transmog right the hell over it, much as you've been able to for ages now. It's not like every class tier set has been a winner either.

What bothers me more is just... the lack of new variety, new options. I want more things to be able to transmog to. If raids don't have class sets, fine, but put class sets in from other sources. In say, 8.2, put in a questline for every class as part of the patch content that has a class storyline and rewards an appearance ensemble. Shit like that.

I'm not saying that "class armor MUST come from raids and NO OTHER SOURCE", I'm not sold on that. I don't really give a shit WHERE it comes from. If not from raids, so be it. But not putting it in at all, not having it come from somewhere, that feels like a monumental fuckup.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1c3 View Post
    I'm super not worried about which gear looks dumb or not. Transmog exists for a reason. If you don't like the look of any given set, you can always transmog right the hell over it, much as you've been able to for ages now. It's not like every class tier set has been a winner either.

What bothers me more is just... the lack of new variety, new options. I want more things to be able to transmog to. If raids don't have class sets, fine, but put class sets in from other sources. In say, 8.2, put in a questline for every class as part of the patch content that has a class storyline and rewards an appearance ensemble. Shit like that.

I'm not saying that "class armor MUST come from raids and NO OTHER SOURCE", I'm not sold on that. I don't really give a shit WHERE it comes from. If not from raids, so be it. But not putting it in at all, not having it come from somewhere, that feels like a monumental fuckup.
    Well,of course you can trasmog your armor,but if you are transmogging your current armor,there must be a reason for it. Either you are wearing unmatching crap in vanilla style while leveling/gearing or the current raid tiers armor/pieces of it are ugly as shit.The fact,that they want to create less armor than before means,that either they are running out of ideas (if so,you should hire new art team!) or they are just trying to do less for the same money.Makes me wonder if they decide the latter,if it's a matter of time,before they start making dungeons with 2 bosses in them etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Felixon View Post
    Well,of course you can trasmog your armor,but if you are transmogging your current armor,there must be a reason for it. Either you are wearing unmatching crap in vanilla style while leveling/gearing or the current raid tiers armor/pieces of it are ugly as shit.The fact,that they want to create less armor than before means,that either they are running out of ideas (if so,you should hire new art team!) or they are just trying to do less for the same money.Makes me wonder if they decide the latter,if it's a matter of time,before they start making dungeons with 2 bosses in them etc.
    That's... not necessarily true. If you're transmogging armor, it could be for a variety of different reasons. Not just the ones that you listed.

As far as my personal reasons, it mostly revolves around "this set here, is my favorite one, and Blizz hasn't come out with a newer set for this class that I like better". That's not a criticism of the current armor, exactly, it's just that there's a thing that I like even better.

Saying "the only reason that people transmog is because the current stuff sucks" is really shortsighted. Maybe that's YOUR reason for transmogging, but that doesn't necessarily apply to everybody else.

I transmog over pretty much EVERYTHING, regardless of how good it looks, just because I've got a favorite set from elsewhere. Paladin T2 springs to mind. Hasn't been topped yet. That's not a criticism of current armor, a lot of it looks fine, some of it looks great even. But it's still not my FAVORITE. It's a matter of preferences.

7+ Year Old Account
    "Yeah, one set only for each type of armor. Prepare to have the same look everyone. "

Would be nice if they still gave a couple types of each, when they can.
    Not enough content? Change you dislike?
    Unsub or sub later. Give Blizzard feedback, "vote" with money.
    Give feedback through official channels → quit paying.

For this expansion? Probably. Even going forward this might become the default stance, but it doesn't mean they will never make class themed sets ever again, hopefully with some fresh ideas, or maybe a remake of an old tier for a special occasion like another anniversary raid (implying they put any effort in these, lol)
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

I kind of hope they abandon the idea myself... I really find the armor they came up with so far in bfa tp be really lackluster. Will have to wait and see so far I have only liked the race of fat people heritage armor.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Just1c3 View Post
    Like the title says, I'm just wondering if the new armor direction in BfA is going to prevent any new class-themed sets to happen, going forward.

I was a really big fan of the Tomb sets, the HD updates of old Tier 6 armor sets, it was a really cool thing to see, and I was really hoping to see more HD sets happen. As an example, I was really hoping to see an HD updated Tier 2.

But since there aren't gonna be tier sets, is that a thing that won't ever happen again, or do you think that it still can, just perhaps from different sources (like armor ensembles)?
    Don't see why not. The problem was tier bonuses not tier sets as a whole. If they want to put the work into it they can easily add class transmog sets like the pandaria CM.

7+ Year Old Account
    They want to copy more of FFXIV i guess, the same way they copied the whole thing about the world being alive and having a speaker and also needing a champion.

I would love for them to re-introduce Challenge mode armor for BFA. It would be the perfect time to add class themed armor again if they are going with raid theme gear. In that way we both our class theme gear and raid theme.

I am still loving mine from MoP on my Hunter and another CH armor set would be welcomed with open arms.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm fine with it as long as they are adding multiple sources of real unique sets. Warfronts, dungeons, pvp, raids, and so on should all offer up different sets to work towards. It's actually a nice change if you think of it, you've got more options for your character if there's more than one set per patch to work towards as we have it today.

There are thematic appearance sets. Each armor proficiency will have a set, including recolors. And each raid difficulty could have a unique set or recolor. Not to mention the armor sets from Warfront content. Pvp as well.

Im not totally against the idea, i agree with them that dungeon sets should match the dungeon and personally think perhaps class gear should come from class content, but it just depends on what else they do, if its just an excuse to cut their output and they dont compensate in other areas then id agree that its kind of a bummer.