Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xcureanddisease View Post
    Where do you live that you think Southern California is going red?
    The cities that make up the San Diego metro are among the states most conservative. Most of inland CA outside of the Sacramento also skews more conservative than the coast. It's not an unreasonable speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    This happens every few years, pay it no attention.
    But this is the first time since 1859 that it will actually be on a ballot for a vote, which is why I thought it worth mentioning.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's just a conservative effort to try and negate the largest blue state. It's gerrymandering on a state scale. Republicans have been much more successful at gerrymandering than Democrats, even though it's a totally morally bankrupt practice. On the good side I don't expect it to happen. Getting on the ballot is one thing and doesn't mean it will get much support outside of hardcore Republicans in California.

But if somehow it were to win, it would be a stealth coup because without the blue votes from California the GOP would easily hold a majority in Congress and would hold the White House forever. For all purposes we would have a 1 party autocracy from now on. Democrats and democracy on the whole would be toast. That's why the GOP is really pushing hard to somehow convince people it would be a great idea.

Also if this passes I suggest we do the same to Alabama, Texas, and Georgia Democrats need to get to work on that map redrawing. Carve them up just like the GOP did and they'll quickly turn blue. Democratic leadership is pretty awful right now. They should be pushing for the same, or at an absolute minimum making the national public aware of what the GOP is trying to pull in California - since the aim by the GOP is to affect the national vote counts by turning 50/50 red-blue into 60/40. The national public doesn't really seem to understand that is what is really going on and the endgame, and that failure is on the Demo leadership.
    Last edited by Auxora; 2018-06-13 at 05:28 PM.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by EbonBehelit- View Post
    Pretty much. The problem is that these people are being shortsighted. The prosperous city of today could be the backwater of tomorrow, so it's in everyone's best interests if we pick up those lagging behind by their bootstraps, so that they can help us out when we're the ones in trouble.

We're far stronger as a species when we stand united; the day humanity figures that out is the day we finally start really getting shit done.
    Oh, you don't have to convince me of that, I've been convinced previously! If we could bring everyone up to first world standards and education, the amount of research in medicine, technology, etc. would be multiplied several fold. The human race would progress at a ridiculous speed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    But this is the first time since 1859 that it will actually be on a ballot for a vote, which is why I thought it worth mentioning.
    Fair enough, and we have voted for some crazy stuff here in CA in the recent past, but I still doubt this is gonna pass.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Fair enough, and we have voted for some crazy stuff here in CA in the recent past, but I still doubt this is gonna pass.
    Oh I'm assuming it won't pass, but the fact that it actually made it on an official ballot I think is noteworthy. For all the times people make a ruckus about partitioning this or that state nothing much ever really comes of it. Making it to an actual vote is a rarity.

I could see some benefits, but I'm pretty sure the headache of all the immediate complications would far outweigh any of that for most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    Actually it's the 'Without the consent of state legislature or Congress' that's the important part, though congress would never agree to it.
    Congress would agree 200% on it. Quite sure it is coup started by the same group of elites who takes all the decisions of USA. It is totally in their interest to diminish the power of a state that has become powerful to the point where it can oppose the congress and the feds..

Would the poor and poorer areas be red?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    Considering the states are LA, San Francisco and San Diego there wouldn't be a 'poor' state. They'd all have a large metro as a capitol. It should also be noted that this is probably illegal at the SCOTUS level
    Except the people in Jefferson currently complain that Sacramento is too far and unresponsive. Keeping their capital in Sacramento kinda does jack shit for them.

The only thing dumber than non-Californians inability to comprehend CA's geographic issues, are certain Californian's inability to comprehend CA's geographic issues. I think one recently got banned. The others are wistful billionaire dude bros.

The simple dogma that "I hate; San Francisco/LA/Sacramento" is not a sound foundation for reorganizing state lines.

I mean just look at the guy funding this initiative... clearly the worst Draper since Mad Men.

That Bitcoin Tie just screams credibility.
    Last edited by Milchshake; 2018-06-13 at 05:55 PM.

I'm actually glad it's on the ballot. Californians can rise up and smash the concept, and hopefully people will just leave it alone. I know that's unlikely, since reducing the Democrat's power by gerrymandering an actual state is basically the best possible outcome.

Plus getting a statue on the ballot is fairly easy, you only need 365,880 of the 39.54M people to sign. Or about 0.9% of the state, less than 1%. Current surveys give it around 15% support, 10% unsure, 75% oppose. It's dead on arrival.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I'm assuming it won't pass, but the fact that it actually made it on an official ballot I think is noteworthy. For all the times people make a ruckus about partitioning this or that state nothing much ever really comes of it. Making it to an actual vote is a rarity.

I could see some benefits, but I'm pretty sure the headache of all the immediate complications would far outweigh any of that for most people.
    It requires a trivial amount of support. I'm sure you can get 1% of people to agree to any idea, regardless of how outlandish it is, especially if you pour enough money into it.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    I'm actually glad it's on the ballot. Californians can rise up and smash the concept, and hopefully people will just leave it alone. I know that's unlikely, since reducing the Democrat's power by gerrymandering an actual state is basically the best possible outcome.

Plus getting a statue on the ballot is fairly easy, you only need 365,880 of the 39.54M people to sign. Or about 0.9% of the state, less than 1%. Current surveys give it around 15% support, 10% unsure, 75% oppose. It's dead on arrival.
    But it won't go away. It's being funded by the fuck-you-money of some billionaire asshole. And there's no shortage of those guys, or their money.

In Washington we have a right wing crank Tim Eyman. Who has made a career of getting anti-tax/anti car-tabs initiatives on the ballot for almost 30 years now. He's bankrolled by our local rich assholes that resent paying high tab fees on their porsches and Maseratis. He doesn't win them all. But he wins enough so that the potholes and rich assholes keep winning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    But it won't go away. It's being funded by the fuck-you-money of some billionaire asshole. And there's no shortage of those guys, or their money.

In Washington we have a right wing crank Tim Eyman. Who has made a career of getting anti-tax/anti car-tabs initiatives on the ballot for almost 30 years now. He's bankrolled by our local rich assholes that resent paying high tab fees on their porsches and Maseratis. He doesn't win them all. But he wins enough so that the potholes and rich assholes keep winning.
    And as with the anti-same sex marriage stuff from not too long ago, expect a LOT of false and misleading ads trying to trick people into supporting it.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

And as with the anti-same sex marriage stuff from not too long ago, expect a LOT of false and misleading ads trying to trick people into supporting it.
    Yeah that's the only way I can see it passing. There is overwhelming dissent for it, and there have been several measures and laws passed to avoid another anti-equal rights prop from passing. They just don't have the same power to trick people/spread lies.
    – C.S. Lewis

It requires a trivial amount of support. I'm sure you can get 1% of people to agree to any idea, regardless of how outlandish it is, especially if you pour enough money into it.
    And still nobody has been successful since before the Civil War, so there's that.

That Bitcoin Tie just screams credibility.
    You left out 'class, sophistication, and an intense aura of timeless wisdom'.

I'm hoping that is 75%+ of the state says "no" they'll try some other wackjob idea. It gets really annoying hearing all the far right/poor states demand our state break up, when her citizens and residents have no interested in separation.
    – C.S. Lewis

The cities that make up the San Diego metro are among the states most conservative. Most of inland CA outside of the Sacramento also skews more conservative than the coast. It's not an unreasonable speculation.

Actually the City of San Diego is pretty blue. Kevin Faulconer will likely be the last white mayor of San Diego.

As for San Diego County, two democrats (both female) are now vying for Rocky Chavez' former assembly seat. So for the first time in forever, San Diego County will have 4 Democrat's representatives vs. 3 Republican's representatives for the State Assembly.

And still nobody has been successful since before the Civil War, so there's that.
    I don't really see that as a big deal. Someone put in the $$ and the effort, and came up with a slightly less insane idea that a fraction of a fraction could sign the paper.

The important thing is that the last 3 props he funded failed to make the ballot, so he restructured the request into a statue which basically asks the Governor to ask the State Legislature. This lowered the required signatures from about 3% of state population to 1%.
    Last edited by God Save The King; 2018-06-13 at 06:28 PM.
    – C.S. Lewis

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah that's the only way I can see it passing. There is overwhelming dissent for it, and there have been several measures and laws passed to avoid another anti-equal rights prop from passing. They just don't have the same power to trick people/spread lies.
    They already messed up by not having a "vote yes if you mean no" wording on the proposal.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would CA split up?

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Actually the City of San Diego is pretty blue. Kevin Faulconer will likely be the last white mayor of San Diego.

As for San Diego County, two democrats (both female) are now vying for Rocky Chavez' former assembly seat. So for the first time in forever, San Diego County will have 4 Democrat's representatives vs. 3 Republican's representatives for the State Assembly.
    Two things:
    This is of course relative, the most conservative urban centers in California are for example not equivalent to the most conservative urban centers in Alabama. And I was talking about the entire metro.

To your point about the county, as you said 'for the first time in forever' meaning it has traditionally leaned slightly right.

The point more is the inland regions tend to be more heavily red and the blue urban center in what would be Southern California is the 'least blue' of CA's urban centers to offset the red interior, so it ending up tilting red is not some unreasonable speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Why would CA split up?
    So we can have more stars on the flag, the ultimate goal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Why would CA split up?
    To weaken it economically so it can have less influence on nation wide policy for things like vehicle emissions.

-Kujako-