Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Adding a new spec to each class would be infinitely harder for Blizzard to balance than a brand new class.

Although, it would probably be the #1 refreshing thing they could do to the game.

7+ Year Old Account
    If Dark Ranger might be added into WoW. Then I think it would make sense for blizzard to add faction theme classes like Blademasters, and Dark Ranger for the Horde and for the Alliance Wardens, and Techno Mages.
    High Elves and Wildhammer Dwarves are finally playable in the Alliance. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    Again, that's a TERRIBLE argument. Every Rogue spec, Feral Druids, WW Monks, Surv Hunter, Fury War, Frost DKs, and Havoc DHs are technically all the same style of fast paced melee DPS. Doesn't make them all the same.

Saying one spec is similar to another without seeing their actual mechanics is just low-IQ rationalizing.

I've seen what people are asking for in Tinkers. They want them to be able to summon a mech to pilot. Big Hulky mech to tank with is still basically just a Guardian Druid. A mitigation tank that has different "forms". Instead of turning into a bear they "turn" into a mech, same principal. The MECHANICS is what would set them apart from bear tanks which is the same thing that would set a Runemaster or Combat Mage apart from other existing classes.
    You're calling the rationale low IQ because your rationale is low IQ. The thematics of a battle mage are in enhancement shaman except enhancement doesn't use swords. Stop throwing around IQ nonsense because it makes you look like the toxic slow person.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoramier of Lordaeron View Post
    Just like demon hunter is the fourth warlock spec.
    And shocker they only came up with 2 specs.

Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
    And shocker they only came up with 2 specs.
    To be fair, most classes were designed around 2 specs with the 3rd being some kind of support system for either. In Vanilla, you had either a Fire Mage or a Frost Mage, and Arcane kinda just lingered in between as some support system. It took a long time before Arcane was retooled as its own thing and carved its own niche.

For a long time, many DPS had 2 viable specs with a 3rd bringing utility or were designed for PVP. It wasn't until recently that they started really diversifying spec identity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I guess the main thing would be what is their gimmick? Every class needs one, and balancing them all is hard, it's why classes get added much less than races.

Demon hunters have high mobility via dashes and double jumping for example. So what would separate a "dark ranger" from a marksman hunter or other ranged dps class?
    I think that's a definite problem for a DR class. DKs already cover Necromancy, and Hunters already cover petless physical ranged. Hunters also have Black Arrow which is considered a pretty weak and clunky talent that isn't used often. I'm also pretty sure that you're looking at only 2 specs (which the community doesn't seem to like very much) and both of those specs being DPS.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think this is not completely unlikely. Void could be one dark ranger spec, with another being like a ranged unholy DK with summoning pets/skeletons, while a third could be kind of like a demon hunter from D3.

Works with the future undead-themed expansion that will probably happen to address Bolvar.

Quote Originally Posted by Katsutomai View Post
    How the hell would Demon Hunter have made any sense as a Warlock Spec? One Summons Demons to do their bidding. One kills Demons to steal their power to upgrade themselves.
    Fel 10 chars

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by adamzz View Post
    Dark Ranger could be a hunter spec, yes. But there is no way to make DH into a Warlock spec and still have it make any sense at all..
    Why not? They’re the fel class. Warlocks had demon hunter abilities, demon hunters use demonic powers to hunt demons? Warlocks use demonic powers to what end? Motive doesn’t make a class, abilities and style should. Warlocks are the fel class, shamans the elements, death knight dabble with death magic, etc etc.

The fact they couldn’t come up with a 3rd spec should tell you demon hunters would of fitted a spec better then a class.

I think that's a definite problem for a DR class. DKs already cover Necromancy, and Hunters already cover petless physical ranged. Hunters also have Black Arrow which is considered a pretty weak and clunky talent that isn't used often. I'm also pretty sure that you're looking at only 2 specs (which the community doesn't seem to like very much) and both of those specs being DPS.
    With the same argument made for Necromancers, I think there's plenty of room to explore each culture's take on Necromancy and Shadow magic. The DK's are a reflection of everything Scourge, and every race is an empty vessel bereft of any cultural ties. We're even shown that they're unable to reintegrate back into their respective races despite joining our factions. Their Necromancy is purely that of the Lich King's era of Scourge.

Dark Rangers have the potential for tapping into different culturally-specific dark magic, the way Paladins tap into various methods of Light-based faiths. A Dark Ranger or Necromancer has that fully available to them, and they could source a different lore-based origin for a Draenei Dark Ranger differently from a Troll or Elven Dark Ranger.

I always wanted the Priest to be that container for culturally based shadow magic, but they've been moving away from that direction in favour of Old God-based madness and fear. I miss the days when Priests had racials and Trolls had hexes while Undead had a disease and Night Elves had star shards.
    Last edited by Thimagryn; 2018-06-14 at 12:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
    You're calling the rationale low IQ because your rationale is low IQ. The thematics of a battle mage are in enhancement shaman except enhancement doesn't use swords. Stop throwing around IQ nonsense because it makes you look like the toxic slow person.
    Another narrow minded, low IQ response. I'm done explaining the point of class mechanics and I'm done with you.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Dark Rangers already exist, you just lack imagination.

Hunter's can already opt into stealth and possess "assassin" like effects and possess dark arrow which will be soon replaced by poisons. What you're trying to describe is more in line with the "Gloom Stalker" archetype which currently still falls under the current hunter skill set. Hunter's can cover the majority of the traditional Ranger RPG archetype:
    Last edited by RangerCroe; 2018-06-14 at 12:51 AM.

Well, they are removing Black Arrow.

But I'd prefer a class that were a mixture of archer and spellcaster, with a healing spec.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thimagryn View Post
    With the same argument made for Necromancers, I think there's plenty of room to explore each culture's take on Necromancy and Shadow magic. The DK's are a reflection of everything Scourge, and every race is an empty vessel bereft of any cultural ties. We're even shown that they're unable to reintegrate back into their respective races despite joining our factions. Their Necromancy is purely that of the Lich King's era of Scourge.

Dark Rangers have the potential for tapping into different culturally-specific dark magic, the way Paladins tap into various methods of Light-based faiths. A Dark Ranger or Necromancer has that fully available to them, and they could source a different lore-based origin for a Draenei Dark Ranger differently from a Troll or Elven Dark Ranger.
    Eh... not really. Dark Rangers are pretty much exclusive to Sylvannas and the Forsaken. I'm not aware of any non-Forsaken Dark Rangers.

The other problem is if you start stretching the lore, you start losing the appeal of the core concept. Sure there's a few players who would love to play as a Gnome Dark Ranger for ironic purposes, but the vast majority of people who want to play a Dark Ranger is be like Sylvannas and Nathanos.

That said, if they did make a DR class, it'd probably be Forsaken, Nightborne, Blood Elf, Void Elf, Human, and Worgen. Probably be 2 specs, and be DPS only. Forsaken would get a racial option to become an undead elf.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2018-06-14 at 01:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I guess the main thing would be what is their gimmick? Every class needs one, and balancing them all is hard, it's why classes get added much less than races.

Demon hunters have high mobility via dashes and double jumping for example. So what would separate a "dark ranger" from a marksman hunter or other ranged dps class?
    I'm not sure if they can pull this off with the WoW engine, but I'd like to see something revolving around aiming.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RangerCroe View Post
    Dark Rangers already exist, you just lack imagination.

WTB wowhead dressing room link for that set. Looks amazing.

Please, no, as much as I love dark rangers, genuinely, they do not need to be a class. Give hunters a glyph that lets them tame certain undead, and give blood elves the dead skin with red eyes option, that's all that's needed to have playable Dark Rangers. Aside from actually giving us the black hood.

How about a quest chain for hunters similar to the green fire quest for Locks. But in the spirit of the faction war put in a twist and give Dark Ranger spell effects to the Horde and Void Ranger effects to the alliance.

I love Dark Rangers but I just don't see them having enough to differentiate them from MM hunters enough to warrant at least two specs from them. I know we need more classes that use range weapons and a new range DPS class overall but this could easily be filled with a tinker class. If anything, I'm on the 4th spec boat for hunters. Make it a dot spec similar to old Survival with absolutely no pet.

WTB wowhead dressing room link for that set. Looks amazing.
    http://bfa.wowhead.com/dressing-room...gl28qm8CiR87ct

Personally I prefer the Green/Gold look myself.

http://bfa.wowhead.com/dressing-room...gBk8R28CiR87cy

Warning: it only looks good on less bulky models. It fits perfectly on human male and fits reasonably well on human female, both blood/void elf models and female dranei with only minor clipping. Most of the other races it looks like a complete mess.
    Last edited by RangerCroe; 2018-06-14 at 03:37 AM.

Tinker is the only remaining class that brings something new thematically, Dark Ranger sounds like Marksmanship Hunter, there is even the shadow arrow spell or how its called

Or they could still keep Sylvannas/Alleria seperate and make the class only playable to blood elves and void elves.

Deleted
    Nope. Tinker has to be the next one. It's the only unique fantasy left that offers a distinct look and mechanics.

Eh... not really. Dark Rangers are pretty much exclusive to Sylvannas and the Forsaken. I'm not aware of any non-Forsaken Dark Rangers.

The other problem is if you start stretching the lore, you start losing the appeal of the core concept. Sure there's a few players who would love to play as a Gnome Dark Ranger for ironic purposes, but the vast majority of people who want to play a Dark Ranger is be like Sylvannas and Nathanos.

That said, if they did make a DR class, it'd probably be Forsaken, Nightborne, Blood Elf, Void Elf, Human, and Worgen. Probably be 2 specs, and be DPS only. Forsaken would get a racial option to become an undead elf.
    question is - what is the core concept and what can be changed or kept sacred?

Alleria having Void powers and being a ranger arent part of that original concept but they would fit right in. It fits better than dinosaurs and wicker undead things in the Druid class - which are still super cool despite not being true to the core concepts.
    Last edited by Thimagryn; 2018-06-14 at 05:55 AM.