Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    • Of all the directions they could take Alleria's story, they decide to make her involved with The Void. And then she joins the Alliance. It's almost like they want to add Dark Ranger, but had no representative leader on the Alliance side... so they shoe-horned that in.
    • The Windrunner sisters are meeting amongst themselves regardless of faction allegiance. This can allow Blizzard to create a single starting area for both faction Dark Rangers, sanctuary-style, where both Alleria and Sylvanas train their Dark Ranger apprentices. This would be similar to the other hero class starting experiences.
    • Dark Ranger teased in Hunter order hall with the hidden quest.
    • Dark Ranger teased in Seething Shore by Nathanos.
    • We only have 2 mail classes right now.
    • We only have 1 class that uses Bows, Guns and Crossbows.
    • Dark Ranger is arguably the most requested remaining hero class from WC3 after Demon Hunter - which was a huge success.
    • Blizzard originally looked like they were going to add Dark Ranger style abilities to Marksmanship Hunter: 'Dark Ranger', 'Exotic Munitions' and other magical arrows for example - but were later removed. They also temporarily removed Arcane Shot on the BFA beta because I think they are intending to anyway because the Dark Ranger is currently in the works right now. I predict they will remove it in the next expansion after BFA when Dark Rangers are added, similar to how Demonology Warlocks were changed to give clear thematic room for the Demon Hunter (Meta).
    • I believe the interactions we'll have with Vol'jin (and I don't know anything about BFA content story wise yet) - to allow for a more troll-like Shadow Hunter themed spec. The other two will likely be themed around Sylvanas and Alleria. Possibly even a Warden, Shadow of Vengeance melee spec.
    • The lore events in Stormheim appear to be building up to a new round of Dark Rangers - possibly explaining how the other races could be inducted into the ranks.
    • The next expansion appears to very likely be Shadow or Old God themed, and we're getting hints the LK may return. If Legion was BC 2.0, the next expansion after BFA might be Wrath 2.0.
    I'd say the removal of survival as the more magic focused ranged spec for hunters also speaks in favor of this. Personally i'd love to see a dark ranger class but i have a hard time imagining 1-2 more specs for it

Quote Originally Posted by Razaron View Post
    Fel 10 chars

- - - Updated - - -

Why not? They’re the fel class. Warlocks had demon hunter abilities, demon hunters use demonic powers to hunt demons? Warlocks use demonic powers to what end? Motive doesn’t make a class, abilities and style should. Warlocks are the fel class, shamans the elements, death knight dabble with death magic, etc etc.

The fact they couldn’t come up with a 3rd spec should tell you demon hunters would of fitted a spec better then a class.
    Yes, let's throw all lore out of the window because DHs use demonic powers and warlocks use demons, so they are literally the same thing. A shaman is just a mage, they use fire and ice magic. DHs are also just a mage spec because they use arcane magic. Hunters are mage specs, they use arcane magic. Death Knights are mages because they use frost magic. Paladins are just priests, they use holy magic. Rogues are just warriors, they use physical damage.

Using your fucked up logic we should just ignore all lore and reduce the game to like 4-5 classes that have like 6+ specs each.

Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    Again, that's a TERRIBLE argument. Every Rogue spec, Feral Druids, WW Monks, Surv Hunter, Fury War, Frost DKs, and Havoc DHs are technically all the same style of fast paced melee DPS. Doesn't make them all the same.
    Saying one spec is similar to another without seeing their actual mechanics is just low-IQ rationalizing.
    This. I totally agree.

Also, if Blizzard wants a hero class, they bring it, if it works for them. THAT is the only thing that makes a Hero Class possible. Blizz wants it. We can argue and everyone has his own personal favorite. We can only hope that we get lucky and get that class. Sure, some are in high demand now (I read a lot about Tinker), since vanilla i want to play a Blademaster. I see signs everywhere, since bc. I still see them. Still wont make them do it, if they dont want to. As stated before, I just hope i get lucky.
    Blademasters are as much Warriors as Navy Seals are Soldiers.
    A possible thought of a Blademaster about Warriors
    "They shout, they curse, stabbing wildly; more brawlers than warriors. They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part"
    (300)

Quote Originally Posted by SHUMEGGAH View Post
    Adding a new spec to each class would be infinitely harder for Blizzard to balance than a brand new class.

Although, it would probably be the #1 refreshing thing they could do to the game.
    There is no need to add one to every class. This is one of these assumptions that have no base in reality, just because one class gets something doesn't mean every other does. In fact, every patch cycle some classes get attention, others get none. They could pick a handfull of classes where they have solid ideas for gameplay, be it by existing people in lore, encounters we've faced or missing playstyles which are typical for the genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Balager View Post
    Aaaand found it. XD
    New Class: Tinker. Available exclusively to High Elves and Ogres.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    You sound like the guys who said Metamorphosis turned you into a Demon Hunter.
    Did anybody actually say that?

Quote Originally Posted by Thimagryn View Post
    What class isn't a hollow excuse? Every class concept is already enveloped. Even the DK was criticized as being a Warrior/Warlock hybrid at the start, considering their original concept was just an Unholy Warrior. The only real unique class would be the Tinker, and it has been passed up by more 'hollow excuses' like Monk (who uses Shamanistic elemental magic) and Demon Hunter (Warlock 2.0). Point is, it doesn't matter if you think it's an empty concept if it beats another class in terms of a full expansion feature package.

It's all in how Blizzard presents the class in terms of lore and mechanics. I mean what are the Death Knights without their starting zone, Acheron, and the Ebon Hand lore? All we need for any class is a new faction with lore to bind it all together, something which we don't have yet. We don't have a magic-using ranged class, and IMO that's just as much of a gap as any other potential class concept like Tinkers, Bards or even Necromancers. Classes aren't being chosen only for what gameplay they can bring, or else Demon Hunters would never have been a thing.
    yeah i personally think monk was a bit of a failure and demon hunter only received 2 specs because there wasnt really any more room for development.

at best i could see glyph options to make players appear more like a dark ranger for hunters, but no mechanics. its as likely as getting a shadow hunter or priestess of the moon class

Bleh,why would you want another hunter with the shadow priests form and every 3rd character you encounter named "SYLVANNUX" or "SLYVANNAS" or other "Lillidan" or "Dkarthas" shit.Yes,it's damn possible,considering the fact how sceptic were the people about the DH and taking locks abilities only to create him. Yet,if there will be a dark ranger or even the third,ranged spec for the DH,how will they differ from the usual hunter?Cause they look emo and got no pet?Cause they are firing SHAAAAAADOW arrows and have red,glowing eyes?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiase View Post
    Well shadow priests use the void yes, but they are all about striking a balance or whatever so they arent as dark as the other classes.

I really do think that dark rangers should be added. Not as a hero class though. But as a normal class, like monks.
    Besides, we haven't had a single new ranged class or spec since vanilla. Only 3 melee classes. Each having a tank and dps spec and only one having a healing spec.
    as a whole no they arent but shadow is the opposite of striking a balance, its full fledged old god worshipping nutcase dark.

For all intents and purposes, the hunter class is equivalent to 'ranger', a dark ranger is just a hunter that is also dark. its not worth a class, not even worth a spec imo, at most its a subspec.

Honestly i feel like it would be an incredibly lazy move by blizz to add 'dark ranger' as a class, they could just stark adding 'dark' in front of every damn class and call it something new and fresh. 'dark paladin' 'dark warrior' 'dark shaman' 'dark rogue' etc etc. all of those just as lazy as dark ranger.

What i think would be the best option is a warlock green fire quest type of deal where you hunt down members of the cult of the damned and catch the person who created the dark rangers in the first place, then you somehow gain their techniques from him. reward is just dark ranger themed abilities a la green fire.

Wow, some people really need to put their tinfoil hats on...

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    Jesus christ I hope not. I'm so sick of edgelord hero classes. We have three now (and one spec) out of twelve classes that are primarily focused around using evil forces. Can we just have a class that isn't dark/shadow themed? Sure there was monk, but that's one out of three new classes that have had this theme.

If Dark Ranger actually becomes a new class, I'm going to slam my face into the nearest cement wall. Demon Hunters had enough teenage angst for ten classes, let alone one.
    3?

DK, DH, warlock, rogue.. and I guess the spec is shadow? That's 5.

I just hope that the new class has at least one ranged spec

I also don't mind having new classes that are similar to ones we already have (Hunters and Dark Rangers, DKs and Necromancers), as long as the devs can manage to give them their own unique playstyle then I would accept these sort of classes, it all depends on class gameplay at the end (for me at least).

Of course, it would be awesome as well to get completely unique classes like Tinker where the closest thing we have to that right now is only a profession. Bard would also be pretty sick as others have already mentioned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thimagryn View Post
    question is - what is the core concept and what can be changed or kept sacred?

Alleria having Void powers and being a ranger arent part of that original concept but they would fit right in. It fits better than dinosaurs and wicker undead things in the Druid class - which are still super cool despite not being true to the core concepts.
    The Druid's core concept is shape-shifting and nature-based magic. I feel that trolls being able to shapeshift into dinosaurs makes perfect sense for a race that lives around dinosaurs. I'll freely admit that the wicker stuff is a bit out there, but it also makes sense when you consider that Druids have always been able to turn into trees or wood.

In terms of the Dark Ranger concept, I think if you stay within its boundaries, you can create a solid DPS class. HotS and the original WC3 heroes give you enough material to do so, and Alleria's void powers even give you an angle to add Alliance-based Dark Rangers.

The problem is making it feel different than the existing Hunter class, and if the community is willing to put up with another 2 spec class that appears very shallow on the surface. One of the common complaints among DH players is the lack of a third spec, and one of their 2 specs is a tank. I'm not sure WoW players want a pure DPS class with only 2 specs.

I am of the belief that the community wants a class with at least 3 specs that provides physical-ranged DPS and can heal.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    I think that's a definite problem for a DR class. DKs already cover Necromancy, and Hunters already cover petless physical ranged. Hunters also have Black Arrow which is considered a pretty weak and clunky talent that isn't used often. I'm also pretty sure that you're looking at only 2 specs (which the community doesn't seem to like very much) and both of those specs being DPS.
    They can always gut an existing spec to make room for a new shiny class *cough* demonology *cough*.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    They can always gut an existing spec to make room for a new shiny class *cough* demonology *cough*.
    True, and Black Arrow has been removed from the Hunter class, so who knows.

A point I see being made over and over again is how the class can differentiate itself enough from the hunter/rogue. I think this is quite easy to accomplish with the right ideas. I posted my take on the Dark Ranger / Void Ranger archetype a few months ago. If you're curious about it, you can find the link in my signature.

My idea was to make the class a 2-specced DPS class, with 1 spec focused on melee damage, and the other focused on range damage. Both would be a hybrid of either but specialized more in melee/ranged DPS with a melee and ranged stance. Heavy focus on stealth, kiting, mobility and setting up targets for the kill.
    Whether you think you can or can't - You're right!

You can read my in-depth Void Ranger / Dark Ranger class concept from 2019 (With pictures) here.

Maybe they could just throw away the terms mage, warlock and shaman and just say "spell caster" with a Path of Exile style talent tree. The spell caster can delve into fel, fire, arcane,frost, earth, wind, air in the talent forest and if they go deep enough they become identified as a warlock mage or shaman. Same for hunter. Hunters could elect to use arrows enchanted by fel, fire, ice, air, earth, void or whatever and if they go deep enough, they get identified as a marksman or dark ranger or some kind of shaman ranger.

That sounds more like a completely new game tho.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

I really think we can save a class spot and just give MM Hunters a talent and a cosmetic glyph. Making an entire class out of Sylvannas seems a bit unnecessary.

Tinkers are the better class option in just about every respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhamses View Post
    I really think we can save a class spot and just give MM Hunters a talent and a cosmetic glyph. Making an entire class out of Sylvannas seems a bit unnecessary.

Tinkers are the better class option in just about every respect.
    By the way just to reiterate what I said earlier, this is me speculating on what Blizzard is going to do, not what I want the next class to be. I do like Dark Rangers but would totally be satisfied if they just added a cosmetic 'green fire' style thing that adds the shadowy shots, maybe when you disengage you go into a banshee form, etc. Could be a simple quest line for Hunters where you interact with Sylvanas and Alleria or something.

I'm personally on board with Tinker being the best class they could possibly add to the game right now. The design space is wide open. Engineering is gutted at this point, but it used to be the most fun profession with nitro boosts and gliders - and I think if they turned that into a class adding things like turrets, alchemy healing, etc it would be amazing... basically take the craziness of the Goblins vs Gnomes hearthstone theme and bring it over. I'm currently playing an Engineer on Guild Wars 2 and I'm seeing a ton of ideas that Blizzard hasn't really explored yet in WoW.

Dark Ranger would actually be 3rd on my list. I'd even like to see a Bard before them - a true support class.

In terms of the Dark Ranger concept, I think if you stay within its boundaries, you can create a solid DPS class. HotS and the original WC3 heroes give you enough material to do so, and Alleria's void powers even give you an angle to add Alliance-based Dark Rangers.

The problem is making it feel different than the existing Hunter class, and if the community is willing to put up with another 2 spec class that appears very shallow on the surface. One of the common complaints among DH players is the lack of a third spec, and one of their 2 specs is a tank. I'm not sure WoW players want a pure DPS class with only 2 specs.

I am of the belief that the community wants a class with at least 3 specs that provides physical-ranged DPS and can heal.
    Dark rangers are currently seen as exclusive to Sylvanas Forsaken. The the core concept of druids was specifically male Night Elves who can shapeshift into animals. Over time, the Druid races and forms have expanded beyond Night Elves and animals.

You say Wicker druid bears is acceptable because they already have tree form - but this is a concept added in TBC, not originally a part of the animal based lore. New ideas shift our entire perspective of a class. Plantlife works because it fits a broader concept that already exists. The question is how far will it go. Drust forms are technically dead trees, so does that mean druids can turn into skeletons too in the future? Food for thought.

Dark Rangers using void, voodoo, divine, arcane or whatever magic is expanding the core concept - a Magic using Phys ranged DPS themed around darkness. This archetype has infinite possibilities.

As for worrying about gameplay... Theme is all that matters. There is no such thing as Death Knight gameplay other than what Blizzard decides to give them. Their original concept had 3 tank 3 dps specs, and look at how that changed. They had ideas for Necromancer and Runemaster and absorbed it all into one package. Take a DK, retheme it with dragons and you get a Dragon Knight.

Who knows, the Dark Ranger might be a culmination of other unused class concepts that never see the light of day. They could take a Bard, remove the instruments and replace it with the dark edginess of the Dark Ranger, replacing songs with banshee wails and group buffs with antimagic and enemy debuffs. They could take a look at a Necromancer and give its unused summoning and shadowy components to the Dark Ranger. Hell, they could make a full caster spec out of a Banshee form ala Metamorphosis. The Dark Ranger can be the class that binds Bard-like concepts and themes it around the death wails of the Banshees. All that's left is filling the gaps with lore.
    Last edited by Thimagryn; 2018-06-14 at 05:14 PM.
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.