Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyalona View Post
    Reality for a lot of people. Don't tell me you've never spend the whole day playing video games.
    Sure, when I was younger. It hasn't been a problem, as I can self-regulate. It's a problem for a lot of people, sure. There was a girl in the news that recently got hospitalized for playing too much Fortnite. Doesn't mean it's the norm.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    I think one case for video games now is that it is a good way to socialize with people who you know in real life. For example, I keep in contact with a friend who lives very far from me through playing Dota. Video games are the only activity or medium I know of that lets you do that.
    Facebook? Skype? Whatsapp? Telephone? Email?

What are you talking about?
    I'm saying there's more productive things to do than simply sitting around and talking with a sexual partner, aka, flirting.

Facebook? Skype? Whatsapp? Telephone? Email?
    Talking and participating in an activity with someone are very different. I should have been more specific but I don't know a single word that describes that level of interaction but it is something that can only be done long distance through playing games. One might even argue that it can be better than many activities commonly done between friends in person.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by timberx View Post
    Sure, when I was younger. It hasn't been a problem, as I can self-regulate. It's a problem for a lot of people, sure. There was a girl in the news that recently got hospitalized for playing too much Fortnite. Doesn't mean it's the norm.
    I'm not talking about getting hospitalized. I'm talking about the price you pay every time you play video games. Every time you play a videogame you pay a price, which is all of the things you chose not to do instead. Your time on this planet is limited. Yes, video games are fun. So is lying in bed and reading comics. The real world happens elsewhere though. Do you want to spend a majority of your time playing video games, pretending you're a hero instead of being one in real life?

- - - Updated - - -

Talking and participating in an activity with someone are very different. I should have been more specific but I don't know a single word that describes that level of interaction but it is something that can only be done long distance through playing games. One might even argue that it can be better than many activities commonly done between friends in person.
    I know what you mean, but at the end of the day, you're still only looking at pixels on the screen, pretending you are in a world that doesn't exist.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm saying there's more productive things to do than simply sitting around and talking with a sexual partner, aka, flirting.
    Who is talking about talking?

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Posting in an Anduin Menethil thread.

I fully expect you will be back. That's my personal take on you. Not an attack. Just a feeling based on seeing you post over the last year or so. You never appear to not do something for the attention. There are a lot of people here who really do not care much for you, at least the "online you" anyway. You haven't really engendered a lot of respect from the community, as many of the back and forth responses in this thread have shown. So, I am not sure who you are saying goodbye to. Usually farewells are meant for people with him you hold some kind of camaraderie.

Perhaps I am wrong. If so, good deal. But, truthfully? This goodbye thread just seems like more disingenuous nonsense.

I'm not talking about getting hospitalized. I'm talking about the price you pay every time you play video games. Every time you play a videogame you pay a price, which is all of the things you chose not to do instead. Your time on this planet is limited. Yes, video games are fun. So is lying in bed and reading comics. The real world happens elsewhere though. Do you want to spend a majority of your time playing video games, pretending you're a hero instead of being one in real life?
    You have no right to judge how I choose to unwind in my free time. Besides, there are things that I can do through video games that I cannot do in real life.

And I don't know where this assumption that I spend the majority of my time playing video games comes from. I already told you that I think that's a problem, as well. A person who spends the majority of their time on entertainment, no matter what medium, has a reduced ability to self-regulate.

To be honest, in the hall of fame of my best times of my life is the days I could play all day. I thoroughly enjoyed these days.

I will keep playing video games, but quite less. Right now I play nothing, but I will play BfA as a semi casual, maybe clear heroic raids etc.

I know what you mean, but at the end of the day, you're still only looking at pixels on the screen, pretending you are in a world that doesn't exist.
    That's a terrible argument. You can apply to that every other medium of entertainment for one. For another, if you are actively playing something with someone you know in the real world (Dota for example) you are quite clearly aware on a meta-level that you are playing a game. Pretending to be in a fictional world only applies to some games when you play by yourself and as I said earlier, that is a bad argument anyway because you do the same thing when you read a book or watch a movie.

That's a terrible argument. You can apply to that every other medium of entertainment for one. For another, if you are actively playing something with someone you know in the real world (Dota for example) you are quite clearly aware on a meta-level that you are playing a game. Pretending to be in a fictional world only applies to some games when you play by yourself and as I said earlier, that is a bad argument anyway because you do the same thing when you read a book or watch a movie.
    He thinks movies and books are a waste of time, too. Other than self-help books, that is.

He thinks movies and books are a waste of time, too. Other than self-help books, that is.
    Self-help books are probably the least productive books to read.

Deleted
    You have no right to judge how I choose to unwind in my free time.
    Why? Why don't I?

Besides, there are things that I can do through video games that I cannot do in real life.
    Not literally, clearly. But in the abstract sense. You can't literally kill a dragon, but you can figuratively. That's what life is about. Is entering the dragon's cave and stealing his treasure. That's what we as humans have a burning desire to do. But because most people would rather stay in the safety of their own bubbles, they sought out video games as a way of replacing real adventure. There is adventure to be had in the world, you are just too scared to seek it out.

At this point I am sure that playing video games is a bad habit. It means you are weak. Yeah we all want to do it, and every now and then, we're weak, and then we have to overcome our weakness and get our lifes back on track, but for the most part you should strive to do something worthwhile.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Oakshana View Post
    Posting in an Anduin Menethil thread.

I fully expect you will be back. That's my personal take on you. Not an attack. Just a feeling based on seeing you post over the last year or so. You never appear to not do something for the attention. There are a lot of people here who really do not care much for you, at least the "online you" anyway. You haven't really engendered a lot of respect from the community, as many of the back and forth responses in this thread have shown. So, I am not sure who you are saying goodbye to. Usually farewells are meant for people with him you hold some kind of camaraderie.

Perhaps I am wrong. If so, good deal. But, truthfully? This goodbye thread just seems like more disingenuous nonsense.
    Did you only come in here to flame me?

I can't relate or see the issue playing games for hours or even the whole day, as long as you are an otherwise productive person in general.

I see it this way, my husband and I both work, him FT outside the home, me almost FT inside the home with my ebay business. Our bills are paid, our house is clean and our pets are taken care of. NO kids for many various reasons. After work, who cares if we sit and play games all evening or on a weekend? Who cares if we sit for 8 hours sometimes and play games? We also do other things as well- like go to the park, go to garage sales/flea markets, watch TV etc. So, if we enjoy games, what is wrong with that?
    Last edited by Seirith; 2018-06-14 at 03:52 PM.

At this point I am sure that playing video games is a bad habit. It means you are weak. Yeah we all want to do it, and every now and then, we're weak, and then we have to overcome our weakness and get our lifes back on track, but for the most part you should strive to do something worthwhile.
    By what perversion of logic is reading not worthwhile?

But you registered an account just to say that? :3
    Hardly. You just have the luck of being the first freak I've communicated with. Good luck on being you.

Why? Why don't I?

Not literally, clearly. But in the abstract sense. You can't literally kill a dragon, but you can figuratively. That's what life is about. Is entering the dragon's cave and stealing his treasure. That's what we as humans have a burning desire to do. But because most people would rather stay in the safety of their own bubbles, they sought out video games as a way of replacing real adventure. There is adventure to be had in the world, you are just too scared to seek it out.

You don't know me or my life. You're not a person. You're a condescending robot with no humanity, and I'm done talking with you now.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll continue playing video games until I die.
    Even if its only 1 hour a day.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'd never quit gaming entirely. In the past 9 months I quit MMOs for good though. I feel free. Now I play games on my terms when I feel like it.

i'm gonna keep gaming until i die, which is only about 9 years or so now.

i love games, they do so many things for me that it's hard to list them all.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you can't prioritize your life to control your video game playing, the games aren't the problem.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.