Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by timberx View Post
    He thinks movies and books are a waste of time, too. Other than self-help books, that is.
    Not entirely. There are movies that can teach you something and there's a big difference between fiction and non-fiction books. Waste of time is a matter of perspective, but you can't argue that reading a book that helps you develop as a human being and improve your life is objectively better than reading a book that entertains you, and that's it. It makes you feel good. That's great. It's a distraction from your awful, boring life. It's escapism. But the moment you put it aside, your life is still just as boring and awful. It's like taking a drug. It's great while the effect lasts. Then it wears off. Sure we all need that stuff from time to time, but that doesn't mean it's a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    That's a terrible argument. You can apply to that every other medium of entertainment for one.
    Yes, I can.

Video games have been a passion of mine and my favorite hobby. It's been incorporated into my family's lifestyle and they all enjoy it. So, on top of it being a hobby and past time, it's become a family bonding experience and hot discussion topic that keeps us all excited for something and engaged.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    until i die, which is only about 9 years or so now.
    That sounds horrible. Why?

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyalona View Post
    Why? Why don't I?

Not literally, clearly. But in the abstract sense. You can't literally kill a dragon, but you can figuratively. That's what life is about. Is entering the dragon's cave and stealing his treasure. That's what we as humans have a burning desire to do. But because most people would rather stay in the safety of their own bubbles, they sought out video games as a way of replacing real adventure. There is adventure to be had in the world, you are just too scared to seek it out.

At this point I am sure that playing video games is a bad habit. It means you are weak. Yeah we all want to do it, and every now and then, we're weak, and then we have to overcome our weakness and get our lifes back on track, but for the most part you should strive to do something worthwhile.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you only come in here to flame me?
    Not flaming you. Pointing out my opinion on this thread.

If you came to say goodbye. Then you would have made the initial post that said "I'm leaving video games", explained the why, said farewell and then be done with it.

But like every other post you make, you'll spend dozens arguing with people or justifying your resolve or reasoning.

Guess what? You don't have to do that. If quitting video games is just for you, then it's just for you. You say your farewell and then you move on. What this thread REALLY is, is you virtue signaling how awesome you are that you are quitting video games. Why is that important? It should only be important to you. Then you share that later on down the road.

But, as I said, you have a tendency to come across very disingenuous. And this thread appears no different. That's not flaming you. That's stating a perception that I think others share.

That sounds horrible. Why?
    my own choosing, no need for further details.

Not entirely. There are movies that can teach you something and there's a big difference between fiction and non-fiction books. Waste of time is a matter of perspective, but you can't argue that reading a book that helps you develop as a human being and improve your life is objectively better than reading a book that entertains you, and that's it. It makes you feel good. That's great. It's a distraction from your awful, boring life. It's escapism. But the moment you put it aside, your life is still just as boring and awful. It's like taking a drug. It's great while the effect lasts. Then it wears off. Sure we all need that stuff from time to time, but that doesn't mean it's a good thing.
    It doesn't have to be one or the other. In fact, I don't think I've ever read a book without intending to do both of those things.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Oh shit, I totally forgot about Anduin Menethil. I had no idea he came back months ago. This is gold ;D.

Deleted
    By what perversion of logic is reading not worthwhile?
    I've never said that.

Good. You'll get more shit done, and be able to commit to anything that isn't useless. Though, I would just recommend quitting bad video games. That way you only really play once a year for a few weeks at most.

Deleted
    It doesn't have to be one or the other. In fact, I don't think I've ever read a book without intending to do both of those things.
    So you've never read fiction?

- - - Updated - - -

my own choosing, no need for further details.
    You wanna kill yourself in 9 years? Then maybe it is time to stop playing video games now and get your life in order. You just prove my point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Oakshana View Post
    Not flaming you. Pointing out my opinion on this thread.

If you came to say goodbye. Then you would have made the initial post that said "I'm leaving video games", explained the why, said farewell and then be done with it.

But like every other post you make, you'll spend dozens arguing with people or justifying your resolve or reasoning.

Guess what? You don't have to do that. If quitting video games is just for you, then it's just for you. You say your farewell and then you move on. What this thread REALLY is, is you virtue signaling how awesome you are that you are quitting video games. Why is that important? It should only be important to you. Then you share that later on down the road.

But, as I said, you have a tendency to come across very disingenuous. And this thread appears no different. That's not flaming you. That's stating a perception that I think others share.
    Why wouldn't I respond to people if they took the time to respond to me? Do you usually do that?

Quote Originally Posted by SaLiSs View Post
    What a bunch of nonsense.. Spending time doing something you enjoy is not wasted time.

Doing something better? Like what.
    Like something you don't enjoy, but will be helpful in the long run. Like reading books on business or economy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by VyersReaver View Post
    Like something you don't enjoy, but will be helpful in the long run. Like reading books on business or economy.
    Sometimes you have to sacrifice the present for the future.

If you can't show the self discipline to moderate the time spent doing something I doubt you are going to be able to stop it all together UNLESS you replace it with something else...

So you've never read fiction?
    Fiction can't help you develop as a human being? Shakespeare? Dickens? Melville? Tolstoy? Dostoyevsky?

What?

15+ Year Old Account
    I probably play like 1-2 months a year. The rest of the time I don't play anything.

I'm active in the modding community though.

Like, my Steam shows that I have played HoI4 for 2000 hours or so. Maybe 1800 hours of that is when the game is open and I'm writing code for it... not playing.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulosio View Post
    If you can't show the self discipline to moderate the time spent doing something I doubt you are going to be able to stop it all together UNLESS you replace it with something else...
    Let's be real. The vast majority here spend hours playing video games every day, and most likely spend some days playing video games all day. That's what it means to be passionate about something. If you weren't passionate about video games, you wouldn't be here. You wouldn't be posting on a forum dedicated to video games, and one specific video game, World of Warcraft, that is incredibly notorious for being very time-consuming. You all probably play way too much.

- - - Updated - - -

Fiction can't help you develop as a human being? Shakespeare? Dickens? Melville? Tolstoy? Dostoyevsky?

What?
    So which one of those have you read and in what specific way have these books improved your life?

I've just quit video games for good. It wasn't an easy decision, because I truly love them. But they've just taken up way too much time in my life, to the point where even when I spent an hour or two in the evening playing, I feel like I should be doing something better. And there's always the temptation to just stay home and spend a whole day playing my favourite game at the time, and I give in way too often.

Any other people who feel the same way?
    Now you've got more time to post on MMO-C! Good on you.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've just quit video games for good. It wasn't an easy decision, because I truly love them. But they've just taken up way too much time in my life, to the point where even when I spent an hour or two in the evening playing, I feel like I should be doing something better. And there's always the temptation to just stay home and spend a whole day playing my favourite game at the time, and I give in way too often.

Any other people who feel the same way?
    When I was heavy drinking it was work then games, rinse repeat, but after a day of sobriety I found clarity so I quit drinking cold turkey and limited my playing. I play but not as much as I used to. I find time to go out and hang with homies, chill, go for a walk down town or something. So if quitting help improve your life by all means do it.

Deleted
    There is one game I would strongly recommend though.

So which one of those have you read and in what specific way have these books improved your life?
    Those are authors, not books. The modern world has been shaped by the writings of those men. You don't understand things like human nature, love, morality and government if you haven't read works like Hamlet, Moby Dick, War and Peace or Crime and Punishment to name a few of their writings.