View Poll Results: Do you like the lore/story?

Voters
160. This poll is closed
  • Yes

110 68.75%
  • No

25 15.63%
  • Pizza

25 15.63%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Yep, story is important to me.

Being able to play a character in that story is what makes WoW enjoyable, for me.

Stuff like the Lords of War make me nerdgasm all over the place, and the expansion was crap imagine that. I dare say that the reason because wow was always extremely more sucessfull than the competition was also in large part due to it's lore and story, that has been fading away a bit sadly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    Really? All of the mmo rpg games I've played had such a boring, generic lore that WoW's story looked like a master piece full of awesome characters. Obviously when you compare it to single player games it looks shit, but I think they are doing decent job considering it's a mmo game that puts gameplay before the lore as the devs admitted themselves.
    I meant the gaming industry in general, but I have played MMO’s with better lore and story too for sure. ESO and SWTOR come to mind. Nothing exceptional, but at least ‘good’.

WoW is just too chocked full of one dimensional characters who have nothing interesting about them. That, plus the mandatory book reading you have to do to understand the basic premise of some expansions. Such as WoD where suddenly Garrosh was free and in some alternate universe, you don’t know how he got free and why there’s suddenly tons of bad Orcs in the blasted lands unless you read the damn book.

Quote Originally Posted by xcureanddisease View Post
    I dont know what it is. I tried to sit there and tune into this stuff. I just wanted to see some BfA action and whats to come game wise.

While the story is part of the game, I just dont care for it at all. Take GTA-V for example... The story in 5 wasn't as good, (imo), as San Andreas BUT I still enjoy the game much as I do with WoW.

Do you guys care for the stories and books and storyboards?
    yes , i'm a lore junkie

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollokdamus View Post
    Man I love that game (or at least what it used to be), but the Kotfe/Kotet story had so many inconsistencies and plot holes that it becomes increasingly difficult to care anymore.
    True. The story was mostly good during the original leveling experience. And maybe the Revan expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes I do care for the lore even though some of it a bit shitty, it was a big reason I started playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoramier of Lordaeron View Post
    Back when they cared, i cared.
    Same here...
    WoW changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Balager View Post
    True. The story was mostly good during the original leveling experience. And maybe the Revan expansion.
    Revan felt a bit meh to me, but it certainly had its moments. Still, it's the only MMO out there which allows your avatar to speak in cutscenes and even decide what you're going to say. Sometimes I wish WoW did that too. Sad to see how the game is being neglected by the devs these days. It's not their fault though, I know that it's EA who is not providing enough funds and moving many of them to work on Anthem.

10+ Year Old Account
    current story direction or in general ?
    Current story a big fucking no, in general yes specially wc3 and early vanilla days (also u can argue that vanilla didn't really have any story, just few touches and expansions but nothing major at all)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoramier of Lordaeron View Post
    Back when they cared, i cared.
    best comment ever
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollokdamus View Post
    Revan felt a bit meh to me, but it certainly had its moments. Still, it's the only MMO out there which allows your avatar to speak in cutscenes and even decide what you're going to say. Sometimes I wish WoW did that too. Sad to see how the game is being neglected by the devs these days. It's not their fault though, I know that it's EA who is not providing enough funds and moving many of them to work on Anthem.
    Oh yes. Final Fantasy XIV sort of gives us dialogue choices now and then but they dont affect the story and our character is mute. It's inferior to the SWTOR system in every way. Of course spoken dialogue is recorded in four languages, so that might be the reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archmage VoidElf4Life View Post
    Wow lore isn’t nearly as bad as some paint it. It’s not great, but it’s not bad.
    because wc3 showed us they can do far superior than whatever shit we got now, not to mention why keep shitcon on ur own lore and fuck it, why give us something only to fuck it urself later, for example how they made death a joke by rezzing anyone they want whenever they want, why night elves are 'that angry' on orcs for 'killing' cenarious, if he was never dead in first place? so they angry they made him afk for couple of days? why would killing archimonde be a big deal in wc3 if he will only /afk few days and back again? what about turning Kael to villain with no reason except to give us a raid boss that we actually know and care about ? (insert 1502 other lore figure like Karagath or Illidan), and so many other things
    If anything, wow was a downhill in story quality since wc3, and they are running on very thin layer now
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xcureanddisease View Post
    I dont know what it is. I tried to sit there and tune into this stuff. I just wanted to see some BfA action and whats to come game wise.

While the story is part of the game, I just dont care for it at all. Take GTA-V for example... The story in 5 wasn't as good, (imo), as San Andreas BUT I still enjoy the game much as I do with WoW.

Do you guys care for the stories and books and storyboards?
    Quite love the story and lore. I know that is potholes but you can sway around them.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

never read any of the books, stopped caring about lore after exodar crashed into azeroth, seems blizz did too so no real loss overall.

dont really need to know whats going on in the story, besides they just change it to suit lazy narratives; why make a new interesting character when you can just un-dead someone?

I used to like the story, but BfA is looking like pure utter shit in that regard.

Lore and story aren’t for everyone. Personally I really like WoW and the story Blizzard tells within it. It’s not without its hiccups and WoD’s plot was something that belongs in a sewer pipe, but it’s why I started and continue to play.

I think fo WoW as DC/Marvel universe with a fantasy filter over it. Or like the MCU, it’s not the deepest emotional storytelling out there, but you can cheer, jeer and pump your fist often enough.

15+ Year Old Account
    The story seemed different to me back in Vanilla and up to C'thun. It's like they decided to revamp the direction of the story mid WoW, like somewhere after Wrath.
    All that stuff leading up to Wrath was so damn good. The Emerald Dream was hyped ever since Wailing Caverns and we didn't get it until Legion.

Everything after Wrath was just like.... Um? With the panda stuff being kind of a "departure". Who is N'zoth, why do we care? Why is Garrosh and Khadgar everywhere all of a sudden? Sylvannas is so forced. It's just meh now, really really meh.

TL;DR: I used to play for the story, but now I straight up only play for the ARPG aspects.
    Last edited by msdos; 2018-06-15 at 03:51 AM.

I play for the graphics, until they release Knack 3 GotY edition.

I don't mind the story, but it's not what makes me play the game.

I just enjoy the PvE side, raiding, m+ etc.

15+ Year Old Account
    Personally, I think the point of playing the game gets lost if you don't follow the story to a point, while I completely understand the point of view that says "I want gear and challenging gameplay, and that is enough."

I do take issue with a lot of the in game dialogue; I understand that WoW is rated "T for Teen", so I don't expect to see deep, complex lines from the characters, but I expect it to be a little better than some of what we have seen in game; cheesy Saturday morning cartoon villain boasting, endless threats of doom from impotent mobs; I think they should strive for better. And as for that T rating...the average WoW player is probably not a teen anymore, and I think we should hold Blizzard to a better writing standard.

There have been some well done stories, even if the dialogue was not at the same level of quality; Arthas' story, of course, stands out, but I'm sure everyone has a favorite. Ysera's story in Valsharah was pretty good actually, as was Runas' in Azsuna, and much of the Stormheim plot.

I think it has been especially daunting for the WoW writers in the post GoT world; the subtle nuances of that shows writing has of course had an impact on the entire fantasy genre, and much of what we didn't think about before falls under more scrutiny now. Ironically, there is a scene in GoT (fans will know right away), that is eerily similar to one of the most famous scenes in WoW history, but I don't really know who copied who, since the source material for the show was written before WoW, I think.

I do think that some of the criticism of the lore/writing is overbearing, and I feel that people who like it often apologize for it, but I think if you like something, you like it. I don't follow the WoW story with a critical eye, in general, looking for plot holes to complain about; I don't care enough to do so, but, I did complain about the dialogue, so there is something for everyone to chew on, I guess.

By comparison, I felt the D3 dialogue was atrocious, far worse than anything I have seen in WoW, and it really detracted from the game experience. I don't think I have ever felt that way about WoW lore...the dialogue might make my eyes roll, but it rarely killed my buzz. Thanks Azmodan.
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the first act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"

7+ Year Old Account
    I personally play games for the story, game play always comes second sometimes even third. I need to find both protagonists and antagonists compelling or I can't force myself to continue. Legion for me wasn't as great story wise as I had hoped it would be but I'm liking BFA lore so far. I don't understand people who play games and are not into story but I guess to eaches own.
    Scarlet Briar: Let's play "Giant club vs. Overripe Fruit." I'll be the club.

Scarlet Briar: Careful now. Death by cannonball would be funny, but killing you myself is actual fun.

The fact that anyone does is laughable. Legion's entire story was a big Illidan circlejerk featuring a Naaru that was killed by the most cringe-inducing line ever uttered in any form of media ever. Then there's the very existence of the Demon Hunters and a Light-infused Demon. Quite frankly, their writers should be dragged into the streets and shot in the back of the head so the world doesn't ever have to endure this garbage again.