Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Somewhat of a miss for me, barring the first few minutes (lucky, since that’s what we’ll be hearing when we log on anyway. The remixed Legends of Azeroth themes to fit the expansion was always the coolest feature, with the exception of Legions being a bit too dramatic with its version. Love WoW music in general, and the zone stuff from BfA are top-notch. This login screen gets a meh from me though.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is some good shit.

Great theme song! Much better than what we currently have.

Hmm first section is a bit OTT. I thought I had it playing in two different windows at the same time for a minute because the music's so busy.

better than the legion version, I never liked that

Quote Originally Posted by meroko View Post
    Man, i have always loved the opening theme variations of each expansion, so I hate to add to the hate train but this is the first one I actually think sucks. It's as boring and forgettable as the expansion itself. Bummer.

- - - Updated - - -

They included the Varian theme which is from Legion. It's common to include previous expansion themes into the opening song. I actually would've loved it more if they added the Horde/Sylvannas cinematic theme.
    Only because it's more significant imo. I'd much prefer hearing stuff new rather than rehashed stuff.

I don't know what to call this, it could be good, but it sounds like everything was normalized, and then cranked up to 10. I guess its just over produced like today's pop music...

Not a big fan. It lacks impact for me. To explain what I mean I'd refer to the end of MoP's main theme (starting at around 6:30) or WoD's (the expansion was bad but the main theme by far my favorite)

Stood in the Fire
    7+ Year Old Account
    i hope this is the last expansion set.

Quote Originally Posted by ARhaine View Post
    There's simply too much going on in any single moment. It gets better in the second half but it doesn't "flow" from one part to another like Legends of Azeroth or WotLK one did.
    The WOTLK one was almost perfect musically and thematically, it builds and builds and builds and builds, just like the Lich King's rise to power.

There is sound in WoW? Weird, having played with sound on in...11 years....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Illuminance View Post
    The whole vanilla soundtrack was just phenomenal. They started out with really noticeable melodic lines you could follow and were just powerful. I'm not sure what's going on here. The ambience pieces from vanilla made better themes than what we have now.
    I think it's the typical "power creep" over time. They want it to be epic, more epic than the last, even more epic than the last even more epi...

All they achieve at this point is listener fatigue.
    Oftentimes, less is more.

So they ditched Neal Acree as cinematics composer??
    The man who gave us every single cinematic theme since Burning Crusade?
    His track record includes pieces like Nightsong (Cataclysm + Ysera death cinematic), Anduin theme in Legion.

This cinematic theme is in my book the most unmelodious, forgettable mess i've ever heard, worst cinematic theme Blizzard has released EVER!

Glen Stafford has done some neat pieces for WoW. This is not one of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    People in these forums would listen to Bethoven and claim that there is too much going on.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluvs View Post
    People in these forums would listen to Bethoven and claim that there is too much going on.
    I actually quite like Ludwigs symphonies, so.. no.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    All they achieve at this point is listener fatigue.
    Worst thing I've read online all year. So sick of all these fuckers online talking about how "tired" they are about everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post
    This cinematic theme is in my book the most unmelodious, forgettable mess i've ever heard, worst cinematic theme Blizzard has released EVER!

Glen Stafford has done some neat pieces for WoW. This is not one of them.
    probably the first main title track that did not grab be, totally forgettable
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    Only because it's more significant imo. I'd much prefer hearing stuff new rather than rehashed stuff.
    I don't mind a mixture of new and old. MoP and Legion did this very well. MoP had a lot of Cata stuff in it, and Legion took a lot of good stuff from WoD. I like when they use some past expac stuff mixed with something from the newer zones for the current expansion.

To me, BFA theme starts off okay, I like the tone it set, but it's just super boring, has nothing interesting to keep it going. Like go back to Legion one, when that Anduin theme hit, you were ready to play, also I forgot the name of the song but towards the end just takes your breath away.

So I'm giving it second and third chances.
    And I think my initial reaction was flavored by a terrible first two minutes. It gets a little better after that, and then 6:20-8:00, the Kul Tiras theme, is really tickling my fancy. I also went back to the other main themes and found this to be true for them as well- with the exception of vanilla's iconic intro, the others had some of the most forgettable or noisy segments out front, burying their thematic highlights further into the track.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems very much inspired by the Warcraft III menu music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqgT9_5bXqc