Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Judge failed biology.
    This isn't about biology at all, in the first place.

This isn't that different from a case where a woman has a child with a one-night stand, who remains a parent to the kid despite not having a relationship with the mom, and then the mom meets a great guy and gets married. He adopts, three parents. Not that complicated.

There's absolutely nothing about legal guardianship which would require it to be limited to two people.

Holy fuck, stop the presses. Oh no, this poor kid has 3 loving parents.

People are truly stupid for getting mad over this, I mean it.

- - - Updated - - -

Judge failed biology.
    Legal parents, not blood parents. You failed logic it seems.

My Sister-in-Law is one of these people, personally I don't fucking get it as I don't like to share, but whatever floats their boat I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by lummiuster View Post
    Whenever you do something that can't be made naturally, you cross nature's border. A baby is made with a female and a male.
    There is no such thing as "natures borders". If there are true limits, then thats a border. Get your head out of your ass. I'll take the infraction just so I can say that.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There's absolutely nothing about legal guardianship which would require it to be limited to two people.
    Let's even just look at a marriage that ends in divorce - then the kids can have original parent (with a relationship) and adopted parent + original parent (with relationship).

The world is way more complicated that black and white will allow to describe.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

that's great news. these antiquated standards of what counts as a family need to be tossed out the window already.

This isn't about biology at all, in the first place.

This isn't that different from a case where a woman has a child with a one-night stand, who remains a parent to the kid despite not having a relationship with the mom, and then the mom meets a great guy and gets married. He adopts, three parents. Not that complicated.

"When a biological parent consents to an adoption, he or she agrees to relinquish the child to another family. The parent releases all their parental rights and responsibilities."

Hi, back to 2 parents. But, muh.. narratives..

Okay, why is this an outrage to some people exactly?

The Lightbringer GreenGoldSharpie's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    Okay, why is this an outrage to some people exactly?
    The same reason people freak the fuck out about anything that is more complicated than bio mom and dad on the birth certificate despite the fact it's really never been that simple.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Direpenguin View Post
    "When a biological parent consents to an adoption, he or she agrees to relinquish the child to another family. The parent releases all their parental rights and responsibilities."

Hi, back to 2 parents. But, muh.. narratives..
    That's citing American law. Which has no relevance to Canada.

And regardless, it doesn't justify that law. What practical reason is there to limit parental guardianship to two individuals? Why not one, or three? Particularly when one parental guardian of record is a perfectly legitimate option already?

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    Holy fuck, stop the presses. Oh no, this poor kid has 3 loving parents.

People are truly stupid for getting mad over this, I mean it.

- - - Updated - - -

Legal parents, not blood parents. You failed logic it seems.
    Doesn't mean it still isn't legally a stupid decision, there are only 2 parents. Judge failed biology.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't mean it still isn't legally a stupid decision, there are only 2 parents. Judge failed biology.
    Legal parenthood has fuck-all to do with biology, so I really don't see why you keep bringing it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    None of them are strangers so what’s your point?
    Yeah because now everything is hunky-dory, when shit starts hitting the fan, it will be obvious they really don't know each other as well as they had thought. Hell this happens to people who have been married 20+ years.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Because divorce is when custody of the child comes into play. This case is all happy smiles now, but when the biological parent doesn’t agree with the non-biological parents on what’s best for the child, especially when documents/consent forms are involved, you’re gong to have issues and the biological parent is going to have the final say.
    You keep saying "biological parent" and "non-biological parents" (plural). Assuming that the mother didn't go to a sperm bank or have sexual relations outside their threesome, are you proposing immaculate conception? There are two biological parents, not one. The mother doesn't just spontaneously become pregnant.

So the custody issue would still exist. The mother wouldn't, by default, get the child because the two men are not the biological parent because, again assuming she was faithful to their threesome, one of those two men is a biological parent. That man would have parental rights as well.

And the issue involved listing all 3 on the birth certificate (according to the linked article). This is where the problem comes in. 3 people can have legal parental rights if they wish to grant them, but the birth certificate should rightly be a record of (if known) the biological parents of the child, hence 2 parents.

The Lightbringer GreenGoldSharpie's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thagrynor View Post
    3 people can have legal parental rights if they wish to grant them, but the birth certificate should rightly be a record of (if known) the biological parents of the child, hence 2 parents.
    That's not even the way it works when it comes to two parent families. When you adopt a new birth certificate is issued with the adopted parents on it. They're generally not the bio parents.

Legally, the child’s parent would be the mother because biology wins in a custody battle. Marriages don’t always work out, and you can’t just give children to step-parents unless they legally adopted them with the biological parents’ consent.

And even then, it’s rare for a child to go with the adopted parent instead of the biological one. Biological parents still have more rights.
    Maybe in some countries, but generally that is not automatically the case.
    Someone who has adopted has the same rights and duties as the biological parents.

Legal parenthood has fuck-all to do with biology, so I really don't see why you keep bringing it up.
    Judge ruled im a dolphin therefore I am a dolphin, this is essentially what it boils down too, there can biologically only be 2 parents. I know you want to be progressive for the sake of being progressive but please exercise common sense when doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Kobayashi View Post
    I am thinking about starting my own sect with a lot of women, where we all are legal parents. What can go wrong for a child when it has 20+ parents (and most of them female)?
    I was thinking the same thing polygamy is illegal in most countries? Also some of the crazy shit that is going on with the FLDS and it is no wonder that mainstream mormons don't want anything to do with them anymore.
    Just have a look at some of the documentaries being made and you know why this can go very bad very fast and it is the kids that always suffer first and the most.
    Now that doesn't mean that these 3 people are bad people far from it they could potentialy be the best parents ever however it is my personal belief that the judge went to far and no doubt this will get overturned by a higher court at some point.
    Want to play SWTOR again and get 7 free days of subscription access + free ingame goodies: http://www.swtor.com/r/d5LnJT

Because divorce is when custody of the child comes into play. This case is all happy smiles now, but when the biological parent doesn’t agree with the non-biological parents on what’s best for the child, especially when documents/consent forms are involved, you’re gong to have issues and the biological parent is going to have the final say.
    Why would they?

Legal guardianship beats biological parenthood where the laws are concerned--and rightfull so!

Quote Originally Posted by Oakshana View Post
    I don't think it's a stranger. I think in this instance, the child was conceived while the three were in a poly relationship. So the non-biological has been present from the get go. I may have misread though.
    Perhaps I misused stranger, known persons out side of family, that now has a guardian role that can be exploited.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.