Thread: Cyberpunk 2077

Yong Yea seemed genuinely excited about the game play:

I got to admit, I'm desperately trying to keep an open mind about this but it's hard to hide my disappointment that it's not going to be third person. I've yet to play a first person game that I enjoyed, I find it clunky and restricting. My hype levels have decreased and I'll probably end up not playing it and watching Cohh Carnage play it on Twitch instead.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    Yong Yea seemed genuinely excited about the game play:

I got to admit, I'm desperately trying to keep an open mind about this but it's hard to hide my disappointment that it's not going to be third person. I've yet to play a first person game that I enjoyed, I find it clunky and restricting. My hype levels have decreased and I'll probably end up not playing it and watching Cohh Carnage play it on Twitch instead.
    Okay, i got to ask, Why is it people are so upheld on On the third person view? IT will be a shooter, those games should be in first person.. They have given their reason to why it is first person and not third. I am sorry but you sound like the typical pirate " WELL because there are colors in the game, i am going to pirate it, or watch it on twich"
    If you have played witcher 3, you SHOULD agree to Witcher gameplay in combat was deadly and precise but OUT of combat, he was a fucking elefant in a glass store. "oh well fucking GG i turned 2 steps to far ahead and now i have to spin around and walk back JUSt to loot the box"
    Movement in third person Out of combat was SUPER clunky.

Quote Originally Posted by ragemv View Post
    Okay, i got to ask, Why is it people are so upheld on On the third person view? IT will be a shooter, those games should be in first person.. They have given their reason to why it is first person and not third. I am sorry but you sound like the typical pirate " WELL because there are colors in the game, i am going to pirate it, or watch it on twich"
    If you have played witcher 3, you SHOULD agree to Witcher gameplay in combat was deadly and precise but OUT of combat, he was a fucking elefant in a glass store. "oh well fucking GG i turned 2 steps to far ahead and now i have to spin around and walk back JUSt to loot the box"
    Movement in third person Out of combat was SUPER clunky.
    Probably because most RPGs are third person, or at least allow you to see your character. Even Fallout 3 and onwards had a third person option; mostly worthless for gameplay, but good for eye candy, screenshots and the like.

As it is, it will be the Kingdom Come problem; why should I care about how my character looks if I can never see it?

Personally I'm not worried about first person, and more worried about the combat. I didn't find it very good in Witcher 3, and few devs successfully managed to create a satisfying RPG/shooter hybrid. The only one whose raw gameplay I actually enjoyed was Mass Effect from 3 onwards (yes, Andromeda included, fite me) which managed to do that by going heavier on the shooter elements.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Probably because most RPGs are third person, or at least allow you to see your character. Even Fallout 3 and onwards had a third person option; mostly worthless for gameplay, but good for eye candy, screenshots and the like.

As it is, it will be the Kingdom Come problem; why should I care about how my character looks if I can never see it?

Personally I'm not worried about first person, and more worried about the combat. I didn't find it very good in Witcher 3, and few devs successfully managed to create a satisfying RPG/shooter hybrid. The only one whose raw gameplay I actually enjoyed was Mass Effect from 3 onwards (yes, Andromeda included, fite me) which managed to do that by going heavier on the shooter elements.
    And, i am sure you feel all of this. But "most" RPGs are theird person? There are not really that many, and i would say more are first person then not.
    And yes, Fallout HAVE the option, but Mainly one would play fallout in first person. So here is the question, If you can only pick one, what would you pick, A "good for eye candy, screenshots and the like" Option. or an actual good for gameplay option?

And why would you care about how your charcter look? well they have stated you can always see your charcter in the charcter menu, and you will see your charcter in cutscenes. So you will be able to see yourself.

And I feel of all your points the one about Combat seems to be the wierdest, so you Wont buy it, cus All you know about combat is, it is first person and that is always bad? All we know as of right now is the people who have seen it , says combat looks great. That is pretty universally said, I have not seen anyone saying it looked bad combat that is.. and i also Like mass effect combat, and True i would like that when you are in combat it is first person, but out of it, you could come in 3rd person, but Also i think it will be great to view this entire city from the first person, makes it more real.

Quote Originally Posted by ragemv View Post
    And, i am sure you feel all of this. But "most" RPGs are theird person? There are not really that many, and i would say more are first person then not.
    And yes, Fallout HAVE the option, but Mainly one would play fallout in first person. So here is the question, If you can only pick one, what would you pick, A "good for eye candy, screenshots and the like" Option. or an actual good for gameplay option?

And why would you care about how your charcter look? well they have stated you can always see your charcter in the charcter menu, and you will see your charcter in cutscenes. So you will be able to see yourself.

And I feel of all your points the one about Combat seems to be the wierdest, so you Wont buy it, cus All you know about combat is, it is first person and that is always bad? All we know as of right now is the people who have seen it , says combat looks great. That is pretty universally said, I have not seen anyone saying it looked bad combat that is.. and i also Like mass effect combat, and True i would like that when you are in combat it is first person, but out of it, you could come in 3rd person, but Also i think it will be great to view this entire city from the first person, makes it more real.
    Quote me the part where I said I won't buy it due to mediocre combat alone? The Witcher series always had mediocre combat as far as I'm concerned, they were still good games apart from the first.

Also, third person can make for good gameplay in the style of game they are aiming for. But we'll see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    As it is, it will be the Kingdom Come problem; why should I care about how my character looks if I can never see it?.
    Actually, if it's like Kingdom come where you see your character in the UI, dialogue and cutscenes then I see no issue what-so-ever. I remember what Henry looks like even if I can't zoom out at will to stare at his armor.

I get why they've done first person, I really do. Third person does take away some aspect of immersion, especially when you have full control of the camera with the ability to zoom out and such. In Elder Scrolls and Fallout I'm constantly zooming out to get an idea of what enemies are where in combat in a way that I really shouldn't be doing. It feels kinda like you're cheesing the game when you go into third person to look over cover.

Imo third person also detracts from the sense of scale which, in a game with such a vertical map design, is very important. Witcher works so much better with Third person due to the mostly flat terrain. In a game like Cyberpunk where you're constantly going into buildings and whatnot and you're not really able to see many landmarks from a ground level I just can't see Third person working. You would have to design the area to accommodate it, which would take away from the theme of a crowded, claustrophobic city.

Providing CD Projekt have your character be visible in cutscenes, dialogue and the inventory/character menu so customization doesn't feel completely pointless then I see no problem. Bonus points if you can see yourself in shop windows and car door mirrors.

It's ballsy to restrict the game to first person and a few people will be put off, a younger me would be for sure, but overall I think it's a really good design decision to create an immersive roleplaying world, which Cyberpunk is at it's core.

Deleted
    Personally I'm giddy as hell about the game having a first person mode. That's all I wanted since the announcement came out. Shooting in third person using a crosshair is dumb as hell, and flipping to first person just to shoot is annoying as hell. Add to that all the cybervision options, they would make absolutely no sense whatsoever in third person. And, I'm one of those people who thinks being the character (in first person) is actually immersive, while being outside and behind the character (third person) is not. Incidentally, Mike Pondsmith agrees, although I'm too tired to find the interview where he just said it.

I've also seen some really good implementations of first person melee and martial arts, as well as rolling and so on, so none of that is impossible.

However, I wouldn't mind the game having both options, if that meant the first person quality wasn't affected. Unfortunately, though, it most likely would be. There are very few games out there that work properly in first and third person, where their first person feel is more that of a shooter, as it should be. Smooth, agile, and so on. Incidentally, for all the hate the game gets, Fallout 4 actually is super smooth as a shooter (just need those See-Through Combat Scopes from a mode), and it has a third person mode. If 2077 had been like Fallout 4 in that regard, I would've been fine with it.

Now that it's only in first person though, there's really only one group of people that I personally can take seriously with their complaining about the perspective, and that's those who get motion sickness in first person. I've never experienced that, and I don't know anyone personally who would have, but I have no reason to doubt that it happens, so it's a shame for those people if CDPR can't find some solutions for that. I do know from people talking about it that it absolutely is not as easy as fiddling with the FoV or refresh rate; for some people neither of those things does anything. Although, from my own perspective, I do know that I kinda get queasy if I throw the FoV too wide; some games used to have it at 60, maybe even going up to 75, but that's narrow as hell, and not realistic at all. For a while, I played at 90, but that fit my 4:3 monitor at the time. Now with my current monitor, a FoV of 100 feels the most realistic when playing, but if I'd go much beyond that, I'd start to feel a bit iffy. So, perhaps fiddling the FoV might work for some people at least.

Having said that, people who just complain about the perspective because they would "prefer" third person, tough shit. That's how it goes. I would have personally preferred a lot of games in first person, but for some inexplicable reason they were in third person instead. Those cases were tough shit for me. Now it's your turn. Choose to play it or choose to move on. That's life.

Damn I hate shooters. I don't like futuristic theme in the first place. I enjoyed TW1 and TW3 a lot but this one may not be my cup of tea.
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2018-06-16 at 04:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will wait for gameplay for a final judgement. I dont mind first person, but I would like the option for third person. I can see why people dont like the idea, RPG players may prefer the RPG set up where many either give an option for third person or are third person.

First person also means no cool screen caps with my character

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Providing CD Projekt have your character be visible in cutscenes, dialogue and the inventory/character menu so customization doesn't feel completely pointless then I see no problem. Bonus points if you can see yourself in shop windows and car door mirrors.
    This is exactly why FPSRPG games and customized characters work together just fine. You'll see what you've made, just not every damn second.

I also wouldn't even be surprised if the devs made a third person option as a free DLC down the line, just for the people who have a stick up their asses about it. Why? Because this dev team is actually cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    CDPR came a long way from their first E3

I immensely prefer third person and fantasy games to first person and sci-fi. However CDPR has a good track record in my mind so I'll be giving them the benefit of the doubt that this decision is better for the overall player experience of the game. Why compromise and bring a subpar experience for the players when you can focus on polishing your main vision. Sure, some can throw a fit, but they can stick to their clickbait articles and getting too worked up over things without thinking or experiencing them firsthand. "Gamers"...

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    CDPR came a long way from their first E3
    TBF E3 in general has come a long way since then.

It used to look like a glorified flea market.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    Norwegian journalist who was at E3 and saw the gameplay demo, said it was only a run and gun game. Boring fps shooter with no cover system or anything like that.
    Right, so, I had to come back to this. This was posted on the subreddit:

Hey guys, I saw the Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay demo. AMA? (r/cyberpunkgame/)

Quote Originally Posted by EmoWhale on the subreddit
    The dev is constantly sliding around into cover and running on walls.
    It almost feels like the Norwegian blogger person wasn't watching the same demo. In any case, that AMA is a good read through from someone who was there first hand.

Being able to use cover, run on walls, have melee and ranged weapons, hack people pretty much mid-combat, and so on, doesn't really sound to me like a "boring fps shooter" or "only a run and gun game", plus it being fast-paced makes it exactly what it's supposed to be. How could it possibly be otherwise. And yet, it still does have stealth mechanics, and you can resolve situations without violence as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Being able to use cover, run on walls, have melee and ranged weapons, hack people pretty much mid-combat, and so on, doesn't really sound to me like a "boring fps shooter" or "only a run and gun game", plus it being fast-paced makes it exactly what it's supposed to be. How could it possibly be otherwise. And yet, it still does have stealth mechanics, and you can resolve situations without violence as well.
    Not to mention the demo was being played by a CSGO pro, highly unlikely any of those shitty journalists are capable of playing the game anywhere near his level. CDPR likely already had him practice and choreograph it ahead of time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, thats a mixed blessing.

Seems we won't have to worry about First person melee being ass, because this game seems to be focused on ranged combat... Which I don't really enjoy.

Although I do like the sound of fuck-off big shotguns, so that's nice.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Full breakdown of Yong Yea's viewing of their Vertical Slice (no actual footage, just his description of the gameplay/environment/plot. Very Lengthy, but well worth the listen):

If its like he described in the video, it could very well be the next major step in single player gameplay design, and hopefully forces other devs to get their shit together.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I find FPS gets boring quite quickly now,

After playing competitive with counter strike back in my youth, its never the same rush or excitement shooting at AI.

But i'll give it a go with an open mind.

My only gripe is how far in the future the game is set.

Playing the original "Cyberpunk 2013" in, yknow, 2013, was a blast and it had a certain awesomeness to it being so anti-dated. Nobody's gonna remember this game in 2077.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    Nobody's gonna remember this game in 2077.
    That's kind of short sighted since there are definitely movies and music 57+ years old that are remembered. Pong is 46 years old, 11 more years won't make it be forgotten. Classic games will be remembered as long as society go's on short of any disasters wiping it out, just like other forms of media.