Poll: Do you think kids should get an allowance and did you get one?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    As soon as they start doing stuff around the house.

That pay for doing dishes, taking out the trash, pet care, and making a bed is really damn high in your link.
    This. Can not think of much better reasons to start except once they start showing some sense of responsibility. Age? Will vary, but I think somewhere around 10.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post

What age should kids get an allowance, or should they?

Follow up:

Chores$$$

Washing dishes (Rinsing before loading Dish Washer)
    Cleaning their room
    Cleaning the house
    Mowing the Lawn
    Taking out garbage

Did you get an allowance for doing chores, and what age did you it start.
    kids get payed what ?

man i got fucking ripped off i was lucky to get a fucking coke and some chocolate for doing my chores. i dident get payed till i took up scoring my dads cricket games and that was only because they had to pay me at least £10 for labor laws :/

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    It's called math class with home economics. Most kids are just stupid and don't pay attention.

- - - Updated - - -
    No it isn't.

Yeah fuck math who needs it

- - - Updated - - -
    Yeah there's no math involved in personal finance at all. What was I thinking.....

Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    Hard knocks huh nice car in your Avatar.
    Thanks, It's just one in our Collection. We build High Performance Engines and Hot Rods. Have 30+ Between my Dad and I.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think an allowance is a really smart way to start educating your kid on how to be responsible with money. I think there is no best age, it would depend on the kid and their responsibilities. Even just a couple dollars and teaching them how to save- great start and important skill for when they land their first real job later.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

No what isn't? If you can do basic fucking arithmetic and aren't a fucking ape then you should be able to figure out personal finance.
    Jesus. Ok sport.

15+ Year Old Account
    That entire list seems pretty fair aside from laundry being that high.

10+ Year Old Account
    is this a thing in the US? cause i see it in movies all the time.
    treating your children like employees, or tenants.
    i dont think that is the kind of relationship kids should have with their family.

when we're talking about small children, they should be expected to help around the house.
    not to get paid. but because its the right thing to do.
    and whenever they want something they should ask for it.

for like 12-17yo kids, they should also help around the house regardless. even more now that they are older.
    again, not for payment. and they should get a standard allowance. not much though.

and they should be encouraged to find a part-time job or a summer job. if possible.
    i say this because in many countries it is illegal for minors to work.
    the fine is often tens of thousands euros. so not many people would risk hiring them off the record like that.
    Last edited by Alex86el; 2018-06-16 at 02:03 AM.

I think they should get an allowance based on actual need. Sometimes kids need money to do things- my children are not my employees. My house and property is not their responsibility.

When the kid starts either doing something useful (or if too young), thinks they are doing something useful - you pay them.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

I did all that stuff and got nothing. I don't know if I'd say they should get an allowance or not but what I will say is that if you don't give your kids stuff they may get it from somewhere else I shoplifted physical items and pirated virtual items
    Last edited by Drusin; 2018-06-16 at 02:07 AM.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Kids should most certainly get an allowance, as it is an excellent tool to teach them the value of financial management on a regular income.

I'd hazard that it's also good for their self-esteem simply because it gives them a degree of agency.
    /thread. This is the only response needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    i say this because in many countries it is illegal for minors to work.
    I think it's 15 with parental consent and 16 without in the states, I could be wrong though. You have to also consider transportation, where I lived as a kid you weren't going to work without a ride but in a place like new york city or I guess london you could make do without a vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    is this a thing in the US? cause i see it in movies all the time.
    treating your children like employees, or tenants.
    Yes it's a thing. I'm sure the argument you're going to get is "it teaches them blah blah work ethic, blah blah, value of money, blah blah"
    Last edited by Drusin; 2018-06-16 at 02:13 AM.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

10+ Year Old Account
    My allowance, "I allow you to live."

Take out the trash - "boy! You live here so you should take it out!"
    Wash the dishes - "you helped eat the food didnt you"
    Mop/sweep/clean - "its your mess! Youre supposed to clean it!"

Real talk, I'd get money every once in awhile but never had a allowance. The closest i came to an allowance I'd get in middle/school for high school and drinks after practice. I could get my parents to buy me stuff or let me hold $10 or so as long as I wanted enough time between asking for something and money wasnt tight.

I would hustle by doing odd jobs for neighbors (dog walking, pool cleaning), repairing computers, selling CDs or candy (get it from Sams then sale it for profit). I was trading video games before people discovered Game Stop and made a decent amount of spending money playing simple card games like Tunk and Speed.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

As soon as children can perform a daily task of chores, they should get an allowance. Simple chores like setting the table, washing and drying dishes, etc.

Weekly chores like washing the car or mowing the lawn shouldn't result in extra money, though doing yard work for grandma or mowing someone else's lawn should of course be paid for.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    My allowance, "I allow you to live."

Take out the trash - "boy! You live here so you should take it out!"
    Wash the dishes - "you helped eat the food didnt you"
    Mop/sweep/clean - "its your mess! Youre supposed to clean it!"

Real talk, I'd get money every once in awhile but never had a allowance. The closest i came to an allowance I'd get in middle/school for high school and drinks after practice. I could get my parents to buy me stuff or let me hold $10 or so as long as I wanted enough time between asking for something and money wasnt tight.

I would hustle by doing odd jobs for neighbors (dog walking, pool cleaning), repairing computers, selling CDs or candy (get it from Sams then sale it for profit). I was trading video games before people discovered Game Stop and made a decent amount of spending money playing simple card games like Tunk and Speed.
    Allow you to live?

That's concerning

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    Allow you to live?

That's concerning
    Im an empty shell with no thoughts or emotions that are my own.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Kids should NEVER get an allowance. Thats just a handout and teaches that its OK to be on welfare. They should get PAID for doing certain chores that arent something they should already be doing like cleaning their room. Pay should be reserved for hard jobs like mowing grass, washing the car, shoveling snow etc.. And the amount your chart shows kids getting is asinine!! I never got more than 50 cents for doing ANY chore
    Sounds like you don't have kids.

Another way to look at it is to start teaching your kids about money, how to save it, value it and use it. I'd say that's pretty damn important as an adult, and an often over looked skill.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are doing this to prepare them for the 'working' world when they are older, i'd probably say around 8-11 years old they should start getting allowances. Show them how to save money and put it in their brain that they have to work for what they want. Life isn't handed to them. I'm not sure if I would break it like you did in the link, but pay them bi-weekly and explain to them the payments for everything.

Humans learn from exposure, the longer they are exposed the greater chances of them adapting and succeeding. IMHO of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampz View Post
    inb4 "flying is a major part of the reason I have fun in wow!"
    Buy a fucking flight sim then

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    You mean the birthday money, holiday money, and grade money she has sitting in a jar on her dresser?

Do you understand the difference between wants and needs?
    That is how I handle all my money as an adult as well. I have them sitting in a jar on my dresser.
    I understand the difference, but do you?