Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    he's got no reason to lie, that ruins the credibility of his channel
    I wasn't saying they'd lie. More like, perhaps not quite understand what's being said, or let their own opinions, assumptions and expectations color what they hear so that they completely misunderstand it. Again, best to hear what's being said for yourself. Then there are no misunderstandings, or if there are, you can blame yourself.

it'll be a shame to not have long and involved ones, but i can live without since this is a different type of game.
    We have no idea how long and involved the quests are.

but like, when y'all got responses like that to criticisms, basically being in denial, that kinda pisses people off a bit and kinda makes you look like a shill tbh.
    Responses like what exactly? That you should perhaps listen to the interviews for yourself to make sure that you've definitely got it from the source? Yeah, I don't see that as bad advice, at all.

Also, just to be clear, a shill would be telling you to ignore all the bad stuff and buy the product anyway. Asking people not to spread lies and bullshit or nag the thread with their own, personal embitterments isn't shilling for anything. Quite frankly I personally don't give two shits if none of you buy the game. I'm not looking to play with any of you anyway. I'll be playing solo or with an RL buddy, and I don't need other people on the servers to enjoy the game to the fullest. In fact, the less people buy it the better if you ask me. More fun for those of us who actually appreciate it.

And no, that's not me "shilling using reverse psychology", derp.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2018-06-14 at 08:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    but like, when y'all got responses like that to criticisms, basically being in denial, that kinda pisses people off a bit and kinda makes you look like a shill tbh.
    Who's been doing that?

Correcting misinformation about the game is not "being in denial". If the devs have said there will be plenty of quests and the content feels just like any other fallout, claiming that there'll be no quests and what little there is will be "kill 20 ghouls" nonsense is just flat-out misinformation. It isn't "criticism", it's contrary to what the devs have said. If you've got information that proves the devs are lying, produce it. If not, just don't make shit up to badmouth a game. Why's that too high a bar to expect?

Hell, a lot of my earlier posts were just me linking directly to an interview/event with more details, and doing my best to summarize those details without editorializing much.

Deleted
    https://www.gamecrate.com/conversati...2%80%99t/19721

Added this GameCrate interview with Pete Hines to the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hines
    I mean, it’s nothing like Fortnite. It’s not even remotely an MMO. It’s not like this or that. It’s not like Destiny. It’s not like any of those things. It’s not like Rust, other than it’s an online world with people in it. Fallout 76 is a roleplaying game. It is not a PvP, kill everybody, fest.
    Detractors and decriers are of course free to immediately go "He's lying!", but to me at least it would be really weird PR to outright lie about stuff now just to get some more sales, only to have the truth come out in just a few months, or, well, as soon as the beta begins, which would then tank all future sales completely.

Also, in the end there's a good quote about the future of Fallout;
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hines
    It’s definitely a different version of the Fallout vision. There’s a reason we called it Fallout 76, it’s not a direct continuation of 1, 2, 3, and 4. It doesn't mean that this is all that Fallout will be now. It just means we wanted to try an idea that the team had and really wanted to see what it would be like if every person was a character in the same world.
    Also, here's Pete Hines answering questions for The Know:

Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2018-06-15 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Do you think Bethesda's Senior Vice President of PR and Marketing would say "I've played Fallout 76 and tbh it's a bit shit" if that's what he honestly thought?
    Do you think he directs the game and honestly thinks it's shit?

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    It doesn't mean that this is all that Fallout will be now.
    Frankly this should be all they need to say. I won't be able to play fallout 76 because of shit internet but it looks pretty good to me, more like borderlands than any of the other comparisons so far imo. My only worry is that this would be a future of the franchise.

Actually this is exactly what I am asking of the industry right now. Make a multiplayer game, make a single player game. Don't make a single player game that has multiplayer tacked in, don't make a multiplayer game that has a single player campaign tacked on. I think the blurred lines piss absolutely everyone off to some degree.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Deleted
    To summarize, Fallout 76 is not Fallout 5, but it does have the potential to further explore the Wastes.

Quote Originally Posted by Prabog View Post
    To summarize, Fallout 76 is not Fallout 5, but it does have the potential to further explore the Wastes.
    Thats all it needs to be really as a spin off. But people are going nuclear -pun not intended- over Pokemon Let's Go! being a spin off, why would fallout be any different?

I'm just so surprised the big reason they shouldn't try something different is basically the same reasoning for activision shitting out call of dutys and Ubisoft shitting out assassins creed games. There its a grave sin but you dont make another first person sandbox busywork sim and you are literally hitler.

Quote Originally Posted by VyersReaver View Post
    Do you think he directs the game and honestly thinks it's shit?
    Pete Hines doesn't make the games, he markets them. He's their PR man. The last time he actually did something relating to a game was writing some of the Bloodmoon manual in 2003.

Pete Hines doesn't make the games, he markets them. He's their PR man. The last time he actually did something relating to a game was writing some of the Bloodmoon manual in 2003.
    Sorry, I was thinking you're talking about Todd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Frankly this should be all they need to say. I won't be able to play fallout 76 because of shit internet but it looks pretty good to me, more like borderlands than any of the other comparisons so far imo. My only worry is that this would be a future of the franchise.
    Wait and see regarding "shit internet". You may have a highish ping, but that may not be a barrier. Tracking someone in real-time might be a challenge, if your ping means they're jumping around a bit, but hey, that's what VATS is for. Activate VATS, pump shots into their head, click "go", and watch as your character ignores your ping and shoots him in the head for you. If anything, I'd say Fallout is uniquely situated to make that less of an issue than any other system I can think of.

And? Of course he's not going to say anything negative, but why are you assuming he has something negative to say in the first place? "Wanting to market the game" doesn't mean he's lying about anything.

That's where you go off the rails.

this should be obvious, but PSA's are always good to spread around

i watched that very first video he showed and it was so obvious the whole way through.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Activate VATS, pump shots into their head, click "go", and watch as your character ignores your ping and shoots him in the head for you.
    Was VATS confirmed to exist in 76? I'd only seen free-shooting (or whatever it's called) in the videos so far. interesting to see how they implement that if that is the case.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    Was VATS confirmed to exist in 76? I'd only seen free-shooting (or whatever it's called) in the videos so far. interesting to see how they implement that if that is the case.
    Todd Howard in one of the videos I've linked said VATS would definitely be back and would help people who were struggling with aiming, the only big change they're making is that they're removing the slowdown effect it's triggered in Fallouts 3/NV/4, because players triggering VATS and causing slowdown to the entire server, or even every other player in the vicinity, is nonsense and bad. It's real-time, but should otherwise work much the same.

You won't be able to pull the "OHGODIT'SAFUCKINGDEATHCLAWANDITSABOUTTOEATMYSPLEEN" spray of VATS bullets to its face by pausing things mid-swipe, but if something's charging towards you and dodging chaotically back and forth making it hard to hit, you can jut VATS and line them up for 5 headshots and watch the carnage.

Someone needs to take Todd Howard out back and put him down already.

10+ Year Old Account
    - "Tons of quests and content in the world like you'd expect." which I'm quoting because Genn won't believe me that they keep saying this.
    Meanwhile from Todd Howard, the guy who actually made the game:

Gamespot (paraphrased): "Will someone who likes the classic style of Fallout be catered to properly, by classic Fallout style I mean like Fallout 3 onward...?"

Todd Howard (paraphrased): "There are a lot of different parts to those games... The heavy NPC, quest, dialogue system... It (Fallout 76) clearly doesn't have that... The exploring, leveling up, finding stories... It has tons of that..."

But obviously the game director of the game would know less about it than the omniscient Endus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Todd Howard (paraphrased): "There are a lot of different parts to those games... The heavy NPC, quest, dialogue system... It (Fallout 76) clearly doesn't have that... The exploring, leveling up, finding stories... It has tons of that..."
    This is so gonna be next sea of thieves.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    This is so gonna be next sea of thieves.
    It will most certainly not be a game in style of Fallout 3, New Vegas or Fallout 4, that is for sure.

This game is probably a experiment, I believe Fallout 5 is still coming.

And? Of course he's not going to say anything negative, but why are you assuming he has something negative to say in the first place? "Wanting to market the game" doesn't mean he's lying about anything.

That's where you go off the rails.
    I wasn't. I was pointing out to someone that "their PR man thinks it's great" isn't the most convincing of endorsements.

Deleted
    So how is this game gonna stop me from lying in the brush with a sniper and popping every person that stops by? (If that's my kind of gameplay)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    But obviously the game director of the game would know less about it than the omniscient Endus.
    First of all, Endus was just repeating what Pete Hines said, so perhaps you should aim your vitriol at the correct people.

Secondly, what Endus, and therefore Pete Hines said does not contradict what Todd is saying. Todd was talking about all of the previous Fallout games, including New Vegas (imagine that, Todd actually mentioned New Vegas by name) and Fallout and Fallout 2, and he was talking about how there are so many different Fallout players out there. Some like the story-heavy games such as Fallout and Fallout 2, and to some extent New Vegas, so what he's saying is clearly meant to point out that Fallout 76 won't be as NPC-driven and story-driven as those games I mentioned. That's the context of his response, out of which you took a single line. And, obviously it won't have a heavy NPC-driven dialog system when there are no human NPCs in the game.

There will, however, be, just as Endus said, "tons of quests and content".

I wasn't. I was pointing out to someone that "their PR man thinks it's great" isn't the most convincing of endorsements.
    That "someone" you were talking to originally is the same "someone" you're replying to now. Here's your original retort:

- Hines plays it solo exclusively, himself, and loves it.
    Blimey, I'm shocked to hear Bethesda's Senior Vice President of PR and Marketing say such a thing.
    To this I then pointed out that it's not as shocking as certain types of people immediately taking everything Beth developers and other employees say as complete lies and falsehoods. Or, rather, it's really not shocking at all. It's pretty much obvious by now.

I said it before but tell me, why would Hines outright lie now, when in just a couple weeks or months the beta will open, and people will see for themselves exactly what kind of a game it is, and if it's not exactly what they've made it out to be, that will tank their sales completely, so even if not all the people who preordered and got into the beta ask for refunds, they'll still lose millions because of being perceived as having mislead people and lied to them.

So, you know, you might not be shocked that a "PR man" would lie to people at this point, but to me it seems blatantly obvious that'd be the dumbest thing they could possibly do, so I for one am leaning on him telling the truth.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2018-06-17 at 04:43 AM.