Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    This read baffles me. Why would they straight up lie to us? They told us repeatedly that one of the core reasons they couldn't make a classic version was because the data was long ago written over. Now they admit they have archived versions of it that they booted up with other bits thrown in. Ugh. Now I feel like a moron for defending them when they said they didnt have the code and that they would never do classic.
    sorry guy, to say this here, but its totally justified you feel like a moron when you a) trusted a billion dollar company on every word they saying and b) this company tells you they „lost their old software“ lol.

i dont say yor are a moron. but the thinking behind that stuff was really naive.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMccrum View Post
    Well, even things like getting raid-ready blues from places like Stratholme is hard work, and you can't jump from Molten Core to Nefarian, it just doesn't work that way. but the ability to farm greens from Dire Maul (even if they don't release the dungeon, from outside the dungeon) will kill most of that progression.
    Um, it's certainly not hard work to get blues from the dungeons, time consuming, yes, but not hard work. You can for sure jump from molten core to nefarian if the raid knows what they're doing. Nothing in BWL required crazy gear or had any hard strategies, LFR today is harder than those places.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    You realise this is an entirely separate team from the current WoW one yes?

No resources were taken from retail to make this happen. An entirely new team was hired.

- - - Updated - - -

All the effort has been.

BFA lost zero resources for this.
    i realize it's a separate team. still has BLIZZARD THE OVERALL COMPANY wasting resources on your "feel good memories" that aren't going to come back.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMccrum View Post
    Please try to understand there are more players not playing the game than playing it, that people were never excited for BfA and never will be, because they hate the game as it currently is, in it's current state. They're not willing to come back, and they want the old experience, which they're getting. so just be considerate of that.
    they'll want that for 3 months tops. then they'll migrate to a different game all together. because that's what you type of people are, you're like online gypsies.

This isn't going to end like you think it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    That was certainly the case.

BACK THEN.

Back when WoW was new, MMORPGs were new, gaming wasn't this mainstream, and the internet hadn't blown up to today's proportions.

That sort of naive player doesn't really exist anymore. You can get the old environment back, but you can't get the old people back. Bringing back vanilla WoW won't erase 10+ years of WoW experience from people's minds, and it won't make new players coming into the game into blank slates that had never touched an MMO before. 5-year olds play games now. The toothpaste is out of the tube, there's no squeezing it back in.
    ppl like you will have a hard time, when you are the first time in an classic raid. and realize that „some idiots“ dont interessted on min/max etc. will not easy peasy compensated.

what do you ppl think ? that all ppl in that time were complete idiots ? that they cant learn ? that it took 2-3 years of classic to „understand“ mmorpg gaming and encounters ???

wtf!
    Last edited by Niwes; 2018-06-16 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kendros View Post
    Whoever thinks classic was amazing clearly have never played it. Enjoy questing, farming, and doing (1:30hrs) 5 man dungeons forever cause you can forget making 40 ppl to show up for raid.
    Oh look, another absurd post! Thanks for the contribution though!

Quote Originally Posted by Vargulf View Post
    i realize it's a separate team. still has BLIZZARD THE OVERALL COMPANY wasting resources on your "feel good memories" that aren't going to come back.

- - - Updated - - -

they'll want that for 3 months tops. then they'll migrate to a different game all together. because that's what you type of people are, you're like online gypsies.

who cares about BLIZZARD THE OVERALL company as a wow player ? i dont hold shares of them...

and why do i care about wasted resources on i.e. overwatch (or a new project, or whatever blizz do outside of wow) when i dont give a fuck about overwatch ? i dont care what resources they waste, when its not on wow. so your argument has the meaning of nothng for ppl only interessted in wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    who cares about BLIZZARD THE OVERALL company as a wow player ? i dont hold shares of them...

and why do i care about wasted resources on i.e. overwatch (or a new project, or whatever blizz do outside of wow) when i dont give a fuck about overwatch ? i dont care what resources they waste, when its not on wow. so your argument has the meaning of nothng for ppl only interessted in wow.
    what are you gonna do? you gonna level a toon to 60? ok cool. you gonna raid with some people, get some kills, get some gear? then what? you're going to start bitching that its time to talk about a BC re-release. you people are choosing to take a literal step back in time instead of progressing a story. baffling to me.

whatever, have fun with it.

Quote Originally Posted by EternalBany View Post
    Understood, what i am saying is having websites, knowledge of fights, experience of raiding wont make it a walk in the park, sure once you have gear and resitance you have momentum but the get go is hard cause of the things you just specify, people are acting as if its gonna be LFR walk in the park
    the ability/talents "revamp" from 1.12 may help make it easier i guess but it was never about the mechanics
    thats the truth. its about commitment. about farming stuff and gear. about min/max gear, talents, micromanagement. its old mmorpg style.

that ppl that talk horrible BS here have never played it and never get that. they even dont realize that not all (nearly none) encounter at this time was a movement encounter. classic is completely about other topics.

but if i had not played something and go talking yada yada yada about it, well, then i would sound that idiotic too.

ppl that think lalalala we are the new players, we know everything, ppl in the old days were complete idiots, go into classic naxx and just quick run that stuff like lfr....

.... will have a hard time in revamped classic.

- - - Updated - - -

what are you gonna do? you gonna level a toon to 60? ok cool. you gonna raid with some people, get some kills, get some gear? then what? you're going to start bitching that its time to talk about a BC re-release. you people are choosing to take a literal step back in time instead of progressing a story. baffling to me.

do you even realize, just in the slightest, HOW LONG it took in classic „to just get some gear“ ??? how the droprates and numbers of items was, how the item curve was, how much resi you need...

dont you feel like a complete moron when talking about stuff you clearly never did ???

i mean, lol, you are a ONE year member at mmoc. you come in here and talking about stuff you have not the slightest glue about.

and no, i dont believe you „just hadnt an encount while playing classic (no mmoc there) to wotlk, and just „forgot“ to make you an mmoc account from 2010 to 2015.

man, you talking so much shit here....
    Last edited by Niwes; 2018-06-16 at 01:12 PM.

I'm going to stay on private servers. The entire point of classic servers is to experience the game like it was back then. I don't want the new engines, the new models.

They're going to spend time making a frankenstein of classic wow, then wonder why nobody wants to play it.

ppl like you will have a hard time, when you are the first time in an classic raid. and realize that „some idiots“ dont interessted on min/max etc. will not easy peasy compensated.

what do you ppl think ? that all ppl in that time were complete idiots ? that they cant learn ? that it took 2-3 years of classic to „understand“ mmorpg gaming and encounters ???

wtf!
    As someone who actually raided during vanilla, yes, about 30 people per 40-man raid were bumbling idiots. But it didn't matter, because raids weren't difficult enough to demand bleeding-edge coordination and optimization to beat. It was about having fun, and ideas like "hardcore" or "casual" weren't exactly in everyone's minds at the time. Naxxramas was the first raid were things got noticeably more demanding, and that's contributed to its reputation - but it still wasn't anywhere near as difficult as modern raids, even "just" on heroic difficulty.

And looking back, even the great players in vanilla were far less skilled than they are now. Part of that has to do with the fact that they simply didn't have to be. There wasn't mythic raiding, where you messing up some small thing leads to an instant wipe. There weren't super-tight enrage timers or damage phases and so on, that demanded you min/max your character to the very last point if you want a WF kill. I played with the guys from Fury back on Stormrage, when they were the first to get kills in BWL. Those weren't hardcore gamers. There were people with their girlfriends, husbands and wives, just normal people who happened to have a bit more time on their hands than the average player, and who happened to know some people who had ambitions. You know how you got into top guilds back then? They needed a priest. They needed someone who can actually show up 4 nights a week. They needed someone who didn't mind farming Felwood for silly tubers. There were no logs, or rankings, or whatever.

I'm not saying it's impossible to have fun in classic these days. Far from it. But expect a lot of things to not turn out like you remembered, simply because the people who play it now aren't the same people who played 10 years ago, even if they actually played back then. And make no mistake: there will be ambitious raiders playing it as well, and absolutely WRECKING the classic raids. Not that that should necessarily diminish the fun for others. But it's just a reality that raids back then are lightyears behind modern raids.

thats the truth. its about commitment. about farming stuff and gear. about min/max gear, talents, micromanagement. its old mmorpg style.

that ppl that talk horrible BS here have never played it and never get that. they even dont realize that not all (nearly none) encounter at this time was a movement encounter. classic is completely about other topics.

but if i had not played something and go talking yada yada yada about it, well, then i would sound that idiotic too.

ppl that think lalalala we are the new players, we know everything, ppl in the old days were complete idiots, go into classic naxx and just quick run that stuff like lfr....

.... will have a hard time in revamped classic.

- - - Updated - - -

do you even realize, just in the slightest, HOW LONG it took in classic „to just get some gear“ ??? how the droprates and numbers of items was, how the item curve was, how much resi you need...

dont you feel like a complete moron when talking about stuff you clearly never did ???

i mean, lol, you are a ONE year member at mmoc. you come in here and talking about stuff you have not the slightest glue about.

and no, i dont believe you „just hadnt an encount while playing classic (no mmoc there) to wotlk, and just „forgot“ to make you an mmoc account from 2010 to 2015.

man, you talking so much shit here....
    i get it, you're mad because i'll end up right. look, i'm not here to argue with you about your 10th grade memories. i came along right after the beginning of BC. i got to hear the stories of running until level 40, only getting one or two epics at max level (which i do find that kind of cool, when every slot is purple or orange in the current build it does take away the cool factor of having something "epic"), and all the other shit that came with classic.

i wonder why blizzard has decided to change EVERYTHING about the game from classic over the years. it's almost like they knew what they were doing...

as far as my mmoc account time...what's your point? you sound silly.

ENJOY CLASSIC GRANDPA

The real question everyone's dreading is: Will it have a subscription / stand-alone subscription?

Slap my ass and call me Charlie but I'm with the "they play on private servers beacuse it's free" group of belief.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

- - - Updated - - -

Newsflash mate. I never played Classic. I played FF11 at the time.

The resources allocated are in no way affecting WoW. They made this quite clear. I'm not defending the Classic concept. They probably had a budget and idea ready for it after the whole thing involving the big server. No company puts all their funding in one basket.

What we need is a reliable source backing up the claim that something else lost resources. What you consider a waste as well is highly subjective. They would not be doing it if they weren't confident about the project.

- - - Updated - - -

Because it's been proven there is popular demand for it?

Just like OSRS.

God forbid someone enjoys an older version of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    As someone who actually raided during vanilla, yes, about 30 people per 40-man raid were bumbling idiots. But it didn't matter, because raids weren't difficult enough to demand bleeding-edge coordination and optimization to beat. It was about having fun, and ideas like "hardcore" or "casual" weren't exactly in everyone's minds at the time. Naxxramas was the first raid were things got noticeably more demanding, and that's contributed to its reputation - but it still wasn't anywhere near as difficult as modern raids, even "just" on heroic difficulty.

And looking back, even the great players in vanilla were far less skilled than they are now. Part of that has to do with the fact that they simply didn't have to be. There wasn't mythic raiding, where you messing up some small thing leads to an instant wipe. There weren't super-tight enrage timers or damage phases and so on, that demanded you min/max your character to the very last point if you want a WF kill. I played with the guys from Fury back on Stormrage, when they were the first to get kills in BWL. Those weren't hardcore gamers. There were people with their girlfriends, husbands and wives, just normal people who happened to have a bit more time on their hands than the average player, and who happened to know some people who had ambitions. You know how you got into top guilds back then? They needed a priest. They needed someone who can actually show up 4 nights a week. They needed someone who didn't mind farming Felwood for silly tubers. There were no logs, or rankings, or whatever.

I'm not saying it's impossible to have fun in classic these days. Far from it. But expect a lot of things to not turn out like you remembered, simply because the people who play it now aren't the same people who played 10 years ago, even if they actually played back then. And make no mistake: there will be ambitious raiders playing it as well, and absolutely WRECKING the classic raids. Not that that should necessarily diminish the fun for others. But it's just a reality that raids back then are lightyears behind modern raids.
    The people being different is true, and I agree that is a major overlooked factor. Classic wow isn't going to be the semi-pop cultural event it was back then. You aren't likely going to have many fringe gamers, highschoolers, semi-interested boyfriends/girlfriends playing it. IMO those people added a lot of flavor to the game world that is going to be missed. Its going to be mostly older people, nerds, people who have done it all. The thrill of learning it, and teaching new players what to do will not be a big part of it like it was.

On raids, for me the best part about old raiding was simply that there was only one version of each raid. Its way too fractured now. That alone will make raiding better than it is now imo.

*~To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly.~*

Newsflash mate. I never played Classic. I played FF11 at the time.

The resources allocated are in no way affecting WoW. They made this quite clear. I'm not defending the Classic concept. They probably had a budget and idea ready for it after the whole thing involving the big server. No company puts all their funding in one basket.

What we need is a reliable source backing up the claim that something else lost resources. What you consider a waste as well is highly subjective. They would not be doing it if they weren't confident about the project.

- - - Updated - - -

Because it's been proven there is popular demand for it?

Just like OSRS.

God forbid someone enjoys an older version of the game.
    aye aye matey. enjoy yourself. i just do not understand it.

aye aye matey. enjoy yourself. i just do not understand it.
    It's simple. People enjoy different stuff.

I'll personally give it a try as someone who's info is mostly from the internet, videos and other sources. Will it replace FF14, retail and ESO for me? Not a chance.

It's simple. People enjoy different stuff.

I'll personally give it a try as someone who's info is mostly from the internet, videos and other sources. Will it replace FF14, retail and ESO for me? Not a chance.
    Classic will allow people like you and me to experience the original game, that's fine. it will also allow younger people just getting into WoW to see the origins of the game. that's great. but i really foresee a couple years down the line a headline here or on the main website "Classic Servers Closing." and that will happen because of the lack of players.

it will all be for naught. a waste of time and resources, even if they were designated specifically for classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    will we get resistencies back? like fire resist / shadow resist?
    Uh yea gonna guess so
    Prot Warrior 2004-2008. Hunter 2008-2018.
    Retired boomer.

Classic will allow people like you and me to experience the original game, that's fine. it will also allow younger people just getting into WoW to see the origins of the game. that's great. but i really foresee a couple years down the line a headline here or on the main website "Classic Servers Closing." and that will happen because of the lack of players.

it will all be for naught. a waste of time and resources, even if they were designated specifically for classic.
    But it won't.

The audience is there even if it is a niche one.

Old School Runescape has been going for 5 years and it's showing no signs of slowing down or shutting down.

Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    You can, but the new animations are permanent. But I don't see why, the old models were horribly outdated and ugly.
    Speak for yourself, I think the new animations are fucking ugly. Old human or old undead are absolutely impossible to improve. The new ones made me race change most.