Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Flynn Fairwind = Disney character?

I have stumbled upon Preach's video where he says that an entire character in Tiragarde Sound's storyline is based upon a Disney character. I think he is referencing Flynn Fairwind, but I'm not sure which Disney character he is supposed to be a copy of?
    Burn it. BURN IT!

7+ Year Old Account

Formerly known as Arafal

Deleted
    Not Preach again.

Just ignore preach in everything that isn't mythic raiding.

The name is, but besides being scoundrels they don't have much in common.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthium View Post
    I have stumbled upon Preach's video where he says that an entire character in Tiragarde Sound's storyline is based upon a Disney character. I think he is referencing Flynn Fairwind, but I'm not sure which Disney character he is supposed to be a copy of?
    I would guess he means Flynn from the movie, 'Tangled', thought during beta I didn't really see him as such connection other than the name. Though, no problem in that? Blizzard has been using pop-culture references for years.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmar View Post
    Not Preach again.

Just ignore preach in everything that isn't mythic raiding.
    He is actually right. I have just gone through Alliance questing in Tiragarde and (if you ignore the fact he mispronounces the name EVERY single time) he is actually right. The story in the zone is very short and doesn't feel like you completed anything once you complete it, there is so much filler vanilla-style quests that you struggle to loremaster the zone because you don't know which breadcrumb leads to a "story" quest hub and which just leads you to a bunch of NPCs giving you kill/collect quests.

Also, not only did they heavily reference Disney here, they actually made a quest that is a direct ripoff of Witcher 3 quest where you chase down the manservant that poisoned the mead barells on horseback.
    Burn it. BURN IT!

He is actually right. I have just gone through Alliance questing in Tiragarde and (if you ignore the fact he mispronounces the name EVERY single time) he is actually right. The story in the zone is very short and doesn't feel like you completed anything once you complete it, there is so much filler vanilla-style quests that you struggle to loremaster the zone because you don't know which breadcrumb leads to a "story" quest hub and which just leads you to a bunch of NPCs giving you kill/collect quests.

Also, not only did they heavily reference Disney here, they actually made a quest that is a direct ripoff of Witcher 3 quest where you chase down the manservant that poisoned the mead barells on horseback.
    Nice subjective opinion homie.

Deleted

I don't see how it's a problem to take inspiration from other popular work. I find Fynn to be a riot. I like him very much and i don't think he is like the guy from Rapunzel. That guy doesn't even have an accent. Fynn is more scottish or welsh like and is not trying to enchant a princess with long hair. He is just a scoundrel. You can just as well say that he is like Han Solo. That would actually be more accurate.

AKA Preach as always is just trying to wind people up for the clicks. Aside from mythic raiding i think his videos are pure trash.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nah, just the name and race.

Aside from this, the characters are not similar. We knew that Preach had bullshit in his videos but this one is a huge stretch.

Flynn Rider = Flynn Fairwind because...their names are both Flynn?

They're nothing alike.

Why do people take Preach's word as gospel? Every single thread I see people talking about what he said seems to be full of just flatout incorrect information.

I'd rather pal around with a "Disney" character than get sucked off by a wish fulfillment OC princess any day of the week.

7+ Year Old Account
    Someone mentioned Preach. Quick, say something negative about him :P

Quote Originally Posted by Dottywotty View Post
    Just wouldn't be the MMOC forums without such massive circle jerking.

Quote Originally Posted by Dottywotty View Post
    I mean sure, when he's flatout wrong. Flynn isn't anything like Flynn Rider, they just have the same name. That's literally they all share in common.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroxis View Post
    I mean sure, when he's flatout wrong. Flynn isn't anything like Flynn Rider, they just have the same name. That's literally they all share in common.
    I mean you can see some similarities in their personalities where they are rather easygoing and first serve their own interests but later have a change of heart.

One was a thief, the other a pirate.

10+ Year Old Account
    From what I have played outside of being the typical scoundrel troupe, there's no similarities to that character, and yes I have watched Tangled :P

I haven't watched Preach's content but whenever his name is mentioned on these forums, its usually when he is wrong . What does he do exactly?

The WoW channels I follow are usually more constructive and lighthearted, and maybe Preach is too? Maybe posters are putting him in a bad light on here? :P
    Last edited by Orby; 2018-06-16 at 06:20 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    Youtube is filled with wow-vloggers.
    With like a dozen being much more popular than Preach.

Yet, every so often there is a thread in MMOC about something Preach said.
    Is he THAT desperate? Or does he think people are stupid?

on topic though.. WoW has Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, Odyn, Thorim, Titans, Green Moses/Jesus, and you're annoyed by a disney reference on a quest chain?
    Last edited by Alex86el; 2018-06-16 at 06:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    From what I have played outside of being the typical scoundrel troupe, there's no similarities to that character, and yes I have watched Tangled :P

I haven't watched Preach's content but whenever his name is mentioned on these forums, its usually when he is wrong . What does he do exactly?

The WoW channels I follow are usually more constructive and lighthearted, and maybe Preach is too? Maybe posters are putting him in a bad light on here? :P
    I mean if I go to my class forums on this site there's nothing but endless complaining, which is the complete opposite of the discord server of said class (where the actual high-end raiders and theorycrafters are).

I haven't played through this particular quest line yet, so I can't say for sure where Blizz drew their inspiration. But, generally speaking, these types of characters with the name Flynn are usually a nod to the actor Errol Flynn. He was known for his swashbuckling roles including The Adventures of Robin Hood, which stood as the de facto big screen representation for 50 years until the remakes started circulating in the 80's.

The chances are high that both Blizzard and Disney are just tipping their hat to his legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by DrMcNinja View Post
    I mean you can see some similarities in their personalities where they are rather easygoing and first serve their own interests but later have a change of heart.

One was a thief, the other a pirate.
    That's not a character comparison then, that's two characters vaguely referencing the same trope.