Page 24 of 38 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Come back to me when they do release everything all at once and tell me if I'm wrong. The only reason WoW classic exists is to fill in the lull between expansions. Which means you won't see classic WoW until near the end of Battle for Azeroth expansion.
    Even IF they do that, it would take months to get to Naxx. Its not like people will be 60 in a week and have the gear ready at the end of the month. Take 1.12 as a basis and go with a cycle of opening like 2004-2006. Give all raids before naxx a 10% boost or whatever to balance the strengh of the new skills and such. Done. Is it that hard to understand?

Will happily still play on either existing private server or my own with a few buddies. The entire point of the doing vanilla release is to experience the game exactly as it was. I find the new models ugly as hell, animations are annoying.

They will release this piece of crap, people who actually wanted vanilla won't play it because that's not vanilla. Then they'll tell us "See? You didn't really want it"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NihilSustinet View Post
    incorrect. you obviously never played vanilla on launch. wrath baby detected.
    It's never going to be the same relaunched holy hell you just won't listen. The player base itself will circumvent the experience that created the original launch of Vanilla WoW. We know everything that's going to happen, we're older, wiser, experienced, we have learned everything necessary to streamline and perfect the process, we're not the same clueless bunch of babies on a dial up connection with no possible way of knowing raids are even a thing let alone the organization and time they would require. This is basically going to be a speed run of it. And if you set yourself up to have the expectations of the launch being the same as it was, it was always going to be ruined for you.
    Always.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
    All I know is that if they decide, for some godforsaken reason, that they're going to use the new models then I am not touching it.
    I've been an undead player since the beginning, and they absolutely destroyed the new models for that. It looks horrendous.

I genuinely spent close to $200 racechanging ALL of my undead characters because I could not stand to look at them with the new models.
    You do realize you can turn the new models off with a checkbox?

God i do hope they really stay true to original vanilla so EVERYONE can see it for what it really was.

Quote Originally Posted by Checkt View Post
    Honestly, classic was always going to be more hyped than it was enjoyed. People love to act as if the feeling of classic can be recaptured, but it just can't. You're not the same player you were. You're not going to spend ridiculous times OOM dead in a cave exploring again. You're not gonna take a months to gain 10 levels. It's dead...and it's never coming back.
    People love to act as if the vanilla crowd wants the feeling back of being a noob. Where in reality they just want to experience vanilla gameplay again. Luckily that gameplay experience is not dead.. and it is indeed coming back.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleks0410 View Post
    People love to act as if the vanilla crowd wants the feeling back of being a noob. Where in reality they just want to experience vanilla gameplay again. Luckily that gameplay experience is not dead.. and it is indeed coming back.
    Uh uh. Tell me, my dude, you truthfully think that a crowd that can't wait six months without complaining about content droughts in the new game is going to enjoy a game that was VASTLY easier once you understood how it worked (which everyone does now) and raid content with VASTLY simpler mechanics in it?

I give classic 3 months before it's a ghost town.

Come back to me when they do release everything all at once and tell me if I'm wrong.
    Okay, explain why you think Blizz is just going to release every single raid at once, completely skipping the AQ gate opening events and Naxx pre-launch events.

Which means you won't see classic WoW until near the end of Battle for Azeroth expansion.
    ...on second thought, it seems you're trolling, so don't bother answering.

- - - Updated - - -

Uh uh. Tell me, my dude, you truthfully think that a crowd that can't wait six months without complaining about content droughts in the new game is going to enjoy a game that was VASTLY easier once you understood how it worked (which everyone does now) and raid content with VASTLY simpler mechanics in it?
    You seem to be under the impression that people who play retail are the same people who enjoy vanilla.

(hint: they're not)

Also, people complain about content droughts in retail because Blizz makes you able to just blow through the content super quickly. You can't plow through vanilla content like you can in retail.

Private servers for vanilla have been around for 10 years now but no, "3 months" and Classic is going to be dead, right?

I can't roll my eyes any harder.
    Last edited by anon5123; 2018-06-19 at 12:25 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post

You seem to be under the impression that people who play retail are the same people who enjoy vanilla.

(hint: they're not)

Also, people complain about content droughts in retail because Blizz makes you able to just blow through the content super quickly. You can't plow through vanilla content like you can in retail.
    No yeah, you guys are definitely special snowflakes who are totally unique in WoW's culture. Give me a break, my dude. You couldn't plow through vanilla content because it was largely broken at release and over tuned. The patch they're releasing the classic server as was the patch they fixed a lot of those problems it. Take into account, as mentioned, that WoW was new then. Players were new. Everyone who was around for vanilla has more than 10 years of experience playing. even if they gate AQ with the unlock event again (hint: they won't) (see what I did there? ;D) it'll be downed the same week its unlocked. Same goes for whatever raid they actually open with. I get it. Vanilla wow was a special time for you, but as much as all of us want to be kids again, you just have to realize it's not gonna happen, champ ;l.

Private servers for vanilla have been around for 10 years now but no, "3 months" and Classic is going to be dead, right?

I can't roll my eyes any harder.
    The single most populated Vanilla WoW server has 5k people on it. roll them all into one and you're talking MAYBE 10-15k people. Assume they sell the game for 60$ and assume EVERYONE one of those people plays for a year (Hint: they won't) and you're talking 3 million in revenue. Or, enough to pay maybe half of the team that's been working on it, and probably break even on the cost of the servers. and that's being generous. Just accept it's not gonna be what you want and move on man. You'll be happier for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FlubberPuddy View Post
    I'm for new models too. Unfortunately there's a group of people who want the Vanilla animations and don't mind if the new models are there just as long as the Vanilla animations are there...

Except we know this isn't possible with the current setup for the game. Since the new models we have in current WoW also all have new animations now, and those old ones are forever gone, even if people tick the old look box, they still use the new animations.

So I hazard with thinking how they're going to go about it: New models without old animations? Or give new models for old animations?

These little details are the types of stuff that's going to continue the ambivalence within the Classic community, I just am interested in seeing how things play out.

Like for many months people were discussing which patch would they start on and if they will do progressive release etc, and we finally know the patch base.

Regardless I'm just excited to be able to play Classic, however they end up implementing it. Because I mainly want to be able to experience the old quests and dungeons and raids under the game systems they had back then, I started at the end of Wrath so only got a glimpse of the old world before Cata changed it all.

I sympathize with the position Blizz is in, but imnsho, it damned well needs to be old models with old animations - I tried playing WoW a couple months back, and the model and animation changes were... unpleasantly immersion-breaking. If Blizz can produce a real version of Classic, I'll happily buy it, and pay the monthly sub to the end of time so that I can log in on my own schedule to go fishing or hit a classic instance or BG with some old friends. But if they can't re-create that old feel... then I might as well be playing "new WoW", which I can't stand. (That's not intended as some sort of object slam on the game - it's simply not for me, which is fine, but New WoW players really shouldn't be their target audience for Classic WoW.)

- - - Updated - - -

They're really not the same crowd - of the score or so of old guildies and RL friends I have chatted about WoW Classic with exactly one still plays live. Some of them have kids who are of an age where "seeing what Mom & Dad used to play" will be at least a passing attraction (tonight on Family Game Night, we're going to try to track down a rare spawn in Hillsbrad, complete some quests in the Ruins of Alterac, and gank some Alliance!")

Many people my age (I'm in my 40s now) have disposable income that makes the sub fee irrelevant, and are perfectly happy to put time into things that don't provide immediate or short-term gratification - the only tough part will be co-coordinating schedules, but get enough 'grognards' in a guild to have some decent level of presence and then set up a monthly 'raid night' and it'll work (I'll be surprised of there aren't Facebook and Twitter addons before long, to help with guild communication and co-ordination).
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Now, it'd be awesome if we could get a vertical slice during E3. That'd be awesome!
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    They're really not the same crowd - of the score or so of old guildies and RL friends I have chatted about WoW Classic with exactly one still plays live. Some of them have kids who are of an age where "seeing what Mom & Dad used to play" will be at least a passing attraction (tonight on Family Game Night, we're going to try to track down a rare spawn in Hillsbrad, complete some quests in the Ruins of Alterac, and gank some Alliance!")

Many people my age (I'm in my 40s now) have disposable income that makes the sub fee irrelevant, and are perfectly happy to put time into things that don't provide immediate or short-term gratification - the only tough part will be co-coordinating schedules, but get enough 'grognards' in a guild to have some decent level of presence and then set up a monthly 'raid night' and it'll work (I'll be surprised of there aren't Facebook and Twitter addons before long, to help with guild communication and co-ordination).
    Wait...you know 10 dudes who will love it? Well then..............CONSIDER ME CONVERTED. I was operating under the assumption that it'd burn out quick....but you know a couple of dudes who will love it...

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, explain why you think Blizz is just going to release every single raid at once, completely skipping the AQ gate opening events and Naxx pre-launch events.
    Because...

#1 They don't want you playing Vanilla WoW for years while ignoring Battle For Azeroth. It doesn't make financial sense.
    #2 They only want you to play Vanilla long enough to release the next expansion cause there are lulls at the end of expansions.
    #3 It's simply easier and less costly to just release everything all at once. Running a Vanilla server exactly as private servers do is going to take a lot of man power and therefore more money.

...on second thought, it seems you're trolling, so don't bother answering.
    If you're going to accuse someone of trolling at least create a rebuttal. Your comment though is very troll like.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fion Silberpfeil View Post
    Even IF they do that, it would take months to get to Naxx. Its not like people will be 60 in a week and have the gear ready at the end of the month. Take 1.12 as a basis and go with a cycle of opening like 2004-2006. Give all raids before naxx a 10% boost or whatever to balance the strengh of the new skills and such. Done. Is it that hard to understand?
    As someone who's played Vanilla WoW on private servers I can tell you what exactly people will do.

Step #1 Level to 60 within a month.
    Step #2 Farm reputation with Argent Dawn by doing dungeons. This will probably take another month.
    Step #2.5 Also do ZG like crazy cause you need the world buff and matts for helm and shoulder enchants.
    Step #3 Enter Naxx with like 5-10 people and farm trash for random loot and matts. You'd be surprised how often great loot drops off the trash in Naxx.
    Step #4 Get everyone to craft all the frost resist gear from Naxx.
    Step #5 Enter AQ40 and clear that for 2 months.
    Step #6 Enter Naxx and profit.

Doing this you would have cleared Naxx within 6 months. You'll probably do MC and BWL quickly for enchants and more gear, but with access to Naxx gear you'll eat through that quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    please tell me there wasn't actually people being legit about getting a older rig just for it.

I mean I have a older rig for a range of games but that's because I collect older consoles. I wouldn't go out and buy a old rig just for one game, just for the "original feels" xD
    Definitely agree

I don't think they would do that. Remember that when they launched a new server back in the day that server didn't have AQ open, I would imagine that would be the case in Classic too. The fact is that even if they released 1.12 just as it was the content sort of gated itself. You can't open AQ until a guild can speed run BWL in under an hour or whatever the time limit was (memory is foggy) and without some of the late AQ gear you can't really do much in Naxx, but I could see them requiring you do hand in a quest item from C'Thun as part of the Naxx attunement since you can do some stuff in there in BWL gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonkaden View Post
    Why can't they use 1.12 and retune / balance mobs , dungeons, and raids? There is absolutely no reason to do a patch cycle and have classes gimped out of their much needed changes just for the "kek my classic experrrience durr!".
    Especially considering that there is no on who can actually catch them by the balls for, say, adjusting Ogre damage in Tanaris from 400 to 500 per swing. All DBs that private servers have are compositions of really old sniffs and guesswork. I doubt that those who've played vanilla have that sort of memory so they can tell difference (or even remember) how much damage defias pillager did with his fireball

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Because they might feel the difficulty at 1.12 is fine...? They absolutely can have it the same way, as 1.12 was a part of Vanilla, which is what everyone is crowing for.

Personally I think that after staggering, they might do some minor difficulty tweaks and item tweaks, but I doubt they'll change things more than a few percentage points here and there.
    1.12 was basically TBC at this point. If they'll release it like this it'll be no different from private server experience. I know many players want just that - another private server that won't be filled with scumbag GMs and gold sellers and won't wipe in a month or so, but that won't be vanilla. Seeing your talents reset, opening talent tree window and seeing new talents whatsoever was awesome, learning innervate from a class talent was simply amazing. Those who joined in 1.12 and never experienced that are missing a lot of vanilla feelings.
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2018-06-19 at 06:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Especially considering that there is no on who can actually catch them by the balls for, say, adjusting Ogre damage in Tanaris from 400 to 500 per swing. All DBs that private servers have are compositions of really old sniffs and guesswork. I doubt that those who've played vanilla have that sort of memory so they can tell difference (or even remember) how much damage defias pillager did with his fireball

- - - Updated - - -

1.12 was basically TBC at this point. If they'll release it like this it'll be no different from private server experience. I know many players want just that - another private server that won't be filled with scumbag GMs and gold sellers and won't wipe in a month or so, but that won't be vanilla. Seeing your talents reset, opening talent tree window and seeing new talents whatsoever was awesome, learning innervate from a class talent was simply amazing. Those who joined in 1.12 and never experienced that are missing a lot of vanilla feelings.
    not really, you are cherry picking what makes for you a vanilla experience. That innervate change was made during Naxx. That's why I think it was a terrible idea to try classic. Because everyone has their own weird idea of what a classic experience is. Me? I want everyone to go back to ventrilo or teamspeak. I want to lag and being unable to log for 2 days straight. I want 8 debuffs, even at Naxx, so it's harder. I want gold farmer spam. I want to be 15 years old again and go back to school, so I can really feel like it's vanilla again. I want wowhead to shutdown and reopen thottbot.

Quote Originally Posted by BraveNewWorld View Post
    Will happily still play on either existing private server or my own with a few buddies. The entire point of the doing vanilla release is to experience the game exactly as it was. I find the new models ugly as hell, animations are annoying.

They will release this piece of crap, people who actually wanted vanilla won't play it because that's not vanilla. Then they'll tell us "See? You didn't really want it"
    just wait for inevitable complete purge of all pirate servers

if you think that blizzard didnt care for their IP property before you will see what will happen once classic will be up and real revenue will come from classic subs and tokens in there

Quote Originally Posted by Erwarth View Post
    Can you please spell NaxxramAS correctly

I'm all triggered.
    Lets just call it Naxx :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NihilSustinet View Post
    ... which is why its dead. rag will be dead within 3 days of launch.
    Good luck getting 25 people to level 60, geared for normal fights, farmed enough fire resistance gear and have cleared the whole raid in 3 days of launch with no existing accounts to boost them.

I'm being generous and saying that 25 competent enough hard-core raiders with todays theory craft could easily out-DPS 40 players from 14 years ago, given equal gear.

I doubt many people will even be level 60 after three days, and none will have crafted enough fire resist gear for tanks (which requires Dark Iron Ore, which is farmed from Molten Core, and Thorium Brotherhood Rep).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Patch 2.0.1 was "basically TBC".
    The extremely overpowered TBC 41pt talents - which are what really trivialized content - didn't exist before then.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgummage View Post
    Good luck getting 25 people to level 60, geared for normal fights, farmed enough fire resistance gear and have cleared the whole raid in 3 days of launch with no existing accounts to boost them.

I'm being generous and saying that 25 competent enough hard-core raiders with todays theory craft could easily out-DPS 40 players from 14 years ago, given equal gear.

I doubt many people will even be level 60 after three days, and none will have crafted enough fire resist gear for tanks (which requires Dark Iron Ore, which is farmed from Molten Core, and Thorium Brotherhood Rep).

- - - Updated - - -

Patch 2.0.1 was "basically TBC". The extremely overpowered TBC 41pt talents - which are what really trivialized content - didn't exist.
    You are talking about prepatch, i'm talking about time when they started pushing TBC-like changes to the game, preparing players for what's coming and what to expect. You know, fixing their terminology in tooltips, adding world pvp (or was it 1.12 when silithus pvp started?), added a lot of balancing stuff, like bleeds scaling with ap, or debuffs not overlapping each other (when weak debuff overlaps strong debuff). All this clunky and counter intuitive stuff was part of vanilla, TBC is when blizzard finally realized their direction and started moving
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.