Page 25 of 38 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    You are talking about prepatch, i'm talking about time when they started pushing TBC-like changes to the game, preparing players for what's coming and what to expect. You know, fixing their terminology in tooltips, adding world pvp (or was it 1.12 when silithus pvp started?), added a lot of balancing stuff, like bleeds scaling with ap, or debuffs not overlapping each other (when weak debuff overlaps strong debuff). All this clunky and counter intuitive stuff was part of vanilla, TBC is when blizzard finally realized their direction and started moving
    The World PvP changes to Silithus and Eastern Plaguelands were added in 1.12.

They were completely ignored by the hardcore PvPers because battlegrounds were still much better honour sources.

Most of the clunky shit wasn't removed until 2.0.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

What surprises me the most is that they really used this database (table) structure, even if it was 14 years ago.

Seems like they are taking a sensible step forward on this. I am interested to see how this plays out. I think it will be on the same client or if not it you can select the client on the wow drop down menu (similar to switching from test to live client).

My idea is that they do the latest patch as well as any other security/bug fixes that are required on the back end. Then just have content frozen (like BWL/AQ40 etc) and have those "released" at certain times. It's certainly do-able.

I do hope I have the ability to use new player models (have default set to old models). Having the option would be nice as I prefer the new models to the old ones. Its not game breaking to use the old ones for me but its something I hope we have an option to select.

Quote Originally Posted by NihilSustinet View Post
    exactly private servers are free, classic surely wont be. if im going to pay, it should be a better experience, and it wont be.
    Im hoping it will be a one-time buy and not subscription, like Diablo is.

Quote Originally Posted by Orukmeta View Post
    Im hoping it will be a one-time buy and not subscription, like Diablo is.
    Methinks it will be baked into your current World of Warcraft sub personally. Same £9.99 but you get access to Classic as well. Seems smart to do since Blizzard knows there are people who will pay for it.

Most progression/classic servers of other games require the sub. Only one that doesn't technically is Old School RS but well you still need a members account to go everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Because...

#1 They don't want you playing Vanilla WoW for years while ignoring Battle For Azeroth. It doesn't make financial sense.
    #2 They only want you to play Vanilla long enough to release the next expansion cause there are lulls at the end of expansions.
    #3 It's simply easier and less costly to just release everything all at once. Running a Vanilla server exactly as private servers do is going to take a lot of man power and therefore more money.

If you're going to accuse someone of trolling at least create a rebuttal. Your comment though is very troll like.
    1: If they make it the same sub for both Classic and Live, I’m pretty sure they won’t care which you play more since you’re giving them the same $15/mo regardless.
    2: I’m pretty sure they are aware tha a majority of people who are interested in Classic could care less about BfA. Meaning they could figure that releasing it as soon as it is ready would work just as well (or, imo, better) than delaying a release until a content drought. Although if they want to hit some kind of milestone (i.e. major Live patch, anniversary) for the release date and it is within a few weeks to a month... I could see that being plausible. But no way they’ll sit on it for longer just to fill some gap in BfA content that most people playing Classic wouldn’t have issues with.
    3: I do agree they will likely not gate content, but I’m pretty sure it won’t cost them any more resources than if it were a live server. It’s not gonna be that bad in terms of additional manpower/money. (Otherwise we would likely still not be getting Classic.)

Building vanilla inside the current client raises some interesting questions outside of what content is available on release.

Will it be with the API we have today?
    Will it be with 14 years of mob pathing improvements?
    Will advanced combat logging be a thing? And if so will we be competing for vanilla ranks on WCL?
    Will abilities like charge/blink have their fixed versions that we use now, or are they going to break the abilities so they can be jumped/can't charge uphill without falling through the ground/blinking into hills or buildings has a chance to make you stuck?

Many gameplay interactions has been improved upon quite dramatically over the years, are they going to break all that?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Coombs View Post
    1.12 ruins raiding for the first few raids, it creates catchup gear that was never there, it alters the feel and flow of the game even if they gate and add raids progressively. Everything will be cleared the very night it releases (I expect this anyway from most guilds) for all guilds. The people who wanted the game before it was a carnival ride will not be getting that experience. I have little faith they will do this right. Classic was a dream that will probably be dead on arrival.
    pretty sure they wont release all that in the start, nor have they written that. They just start with the 1.12 as patch with all the systems and bug fixes. They can still release raids whenever they want + catchup mechanics

Quote Originally Posted by Atherions View Post
    Building vanilla inside the current client raises some interesting questions outside of what content is available on release.

Will advanced combat logging be a thing? And if so will we be competing for vanilla ranks on WCL?
    Will abilities like charge/blink have their fixed versions that we use now, or are they going to break the abilities so they can be jumped/can't charge uphill without falling through the ground/blinking into hills or buildings has a chance to make you stuck?

Many gameplay interactions has been improved upon quite dramatically over the years, are they going to break all that?
    Hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by khalltusk View Post
    Seems like they are taking a sensible step forward on this. I am interested to see how this plays out. I think it will be on the same client or if not it you can select the client on the wow drop down menu (similar to switching from test to live client).

My idea is that they do the latest patch as well as any other security/bug fixes that are required on the back end. Then just have content frozen (like BWL/AQ40 etc) and have those "released" at certain times. It's certainly do-able.

I do hope I have the ability to use new player models (have default set to old models). Having the option would be nice as I prefer the new models to the old ones. Its not game breaking to use the old ones for me but its something I hope we have an option to select.
    heres the problem with staging it ? whats the point . just 1 thing like allwoing 18 or 20 debuffs on boss will break early raids

people wont need months to clear them - people will do it in 1 max 2 resets

and then complain - so whats next.

farming gear from early raids ? mostly pointless bcause they will faceroll harder raids in the same gear.

How can you cry already that there is not enough content or it been farmed too fast? Of course everyone will clear out the raids anybody know the raids. But you will need at least some days to get at level 60 and if you rush through everything ... really thats your problem. How about enjoying the game while playing without think about raiding, achieving until then?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Atherions View Post

Very interesting points with far-reaching implications. Mob pathing and charge/blink fixes are probably not something that people would mind too much, after all there's not really a downside to having these fixes. Vanilla logs would be hilarious though, let's find out who's best at pressing one button.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    heres the problem with staging it ? whats the point . just 1 thing like allwoing 18 or 20 debuffs on boss will break early raids

and then complain - so whats next.

farming gear from early raids ? mostly pointless bcause they will faceroll harder raids in the same gear.
    And if you gate them with raid releases every 4-6 months? You think people will continue to raid MC for 6months cause BWL comes after? they will farm MC for one/two months and after unsub and most won't return after 6 months anyway since by that time a new game might come that will keep them in that game even more or there are better things to do in retail.

This is just a remastered version so that people that play on private servers can now pay a sub to blizzard. People will play classic no matter what they do. You won't keep them more than they want to stay anyway. At least if you release everything from start you will keep them more ingame cause they have to progress bwl/aq/naxx. If you release naxx after two years less people are willing to come back and raid. And even if they come back people won't take them in raids by elitist cucks like you cause you will all look down on them cause they didn't play the grindfest two years like you did.

#huehuehue classic community what a nice place to be

Deleted
    I'm curious to see how many people will give up before they are even able to enter a raid. The old gameplay will select its own player base. And the best thing is that everyone who's not interested in that can no longer complain about it. They can go and play retail and enjoy what the game turned into, because finally all the whining in the world won't do a thing.

Raiders are elitist? PvP takes too much time? Reputations are too grindy? Travelling takes too long? Mobs spawn too rarely? Bosses don't drop enough loot? Leveling alts is just as tedious as leveling a main? Balance is garbage? Bosses are boring? Instances are poorly tuned? Threat is annoying to play with? Groups require social interactions to form?

Just leave. Play retail. Be happy.

That's what people are looking forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by Perkunas View Post
    This is the best news. All those mouth-breathers demanding a Frankenserver will hopefully go away.
    Guarantee they will use phasing to gate raiding progression which is built into the modern platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Guarantee they will use phasing to gate raiding progression which is built into the modern platform.
    Unlikely. Would probably require a bit more effort than they are willing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Projectmars View Post
    Unlikely. Would probably require a bit more effort than they are willing to do.
    Then everything being available from the get go is good with everyone? The number one complaint I hear from purists is how are they going to do content events and this does it.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    Not every vanilla player is a hardcore no-lifer poosocking his way to clear the content as fast as possible.

Vanilla is not the same as retail. You don't just clear a raid once and then afk in ironforge until the next raid comes out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dudas View Post
    And if you gate them with raid releases every 4-6 months? You think people will continue to raid MC for 6months cause BWL comes after?
    Considering that's what has happened on every single private server I've played on

yes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    You don't need phasing to close off the raids. BWL can be closed off simply by turning off the spawn of the Blackrock Quartermaster, thus preventing anyone from starting the attunement quest. AQ20/40 are closed off by default and cannot be accessed until the gong appears. Naxx is closed off due to requiring an attunement quest that doesn't become available until the various Naxx-based NPCs are placed in Light's Hope Chapel.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Not every vanilla player is a hardcore no-lifer poosocking his way to clear the content as fast as possible.

Vanilla is not the same as retail. You don't just clear a raid once and then afk in ironforge until the next raid comes out.

- - - Updated - - -

Considering that's what has happened on every single private server I've played on

yes.

- - - Updated - - -

You don't need phasing to close off the raids. BWL can be closed off simply by turning off the spawn of the Blackrock Quartermaster, thus preventing anyone from starting the attunement quest. AQ20/40 are closed off by default and cannot be accessed until the gong appears. Naxx is closed off due to requiring an attunement quest that doesn't become available until the various Naxx-based NPCs are placed in Light's Hope Chapel.
    Maybe, I was thinking using phasing as patch cycling for specific things or the ability to repeat server wide events.

Quote Originally Posted by Katsu2881 View Post
    Very interesting points with far-reaching implications. Mob pathing and charge/blink fixes are probably not something that people would mind too much, after all there's not really a downside to having these fixes. Vanilla logs would be hilarious though, let's find out who's best at pressing one button.
    Fixing charge will have a major impact in PVP, esp against skilled players. In vanilla when charging a moving target you would probably only arrive in melee range 40-45% of the time, whereas on live its more like 95%. Skilled PVP players in vanilla knew how to jump charges and it would allow them to survive against the already really strong warrior.