10+ Year Old Account

Laura Ingraham: Migrant child detention centers 'essentially summer camps'

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/39...y-summer-camps

Fox News host Laura Ingraham on Monday described the child detention facilities housing immigrant youth as “essentially summer camps.”

Ingraham’s comments come amid growing outcry over the Trump administration’s policy to prosecute migrants crossing the border illegally, leading to thousands of children being separated from their parents and housed in what the government is calling "tent cities."

“As more illegal immigrants are rushing the border, more kids are being separated from their parents,” Ingraham said. “And temporarily housed at what are, essentially, summer camps.”

Ingraham noted that The San Diego Union Tribune had compared the camps to “boarding schools.”

The paper wrote that “many elements” of one particular center “seem like what one would expect from a boarding school.”

Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced the “zero tolerance” policy at the border earlier this year. The policy has received backlash from Democrats and Republicans, with dozens of lawmakers and other prominent political figures calling on President Trump to reverse the policy.

Trump has defended the policy, incorrectly referring to it as “law” and calling on Congress to change it. He has repeatedly blamed Democrats for the measure, despite it's being enacted by his White House.

Other members of the Trump administration have defended the policy as a necessary border security measure.

The backlash to the controversial policy has grown as more details are revealed about the detention centers where children are being held. Images and audio have steadily emerged from inside the centers, with many lawmakers and media outlets describing the children as being held in “cages.”

An audio clip obtained by ProPublica on Monday reveals children sobbing for their parents, as one Border Patrol Agent jokes that they sound like an “orchestra.”

Members of the media and lawmakers have toured the facilities in recent days, but were not permitted to take photographs or video inside. U.S. Customs and Border Protection released footage from inside one of the centers, that shows dozens of children inside metal chain-link cages, with many using emergency blanket for bedding.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    As more illegal immigrants are rushing the border
    Not really on topic, but why in the hell would people still be rushing to our borders? Are they not aware that the current administration is going to make it as difficult as possible for them to get into the country, and even harder to stay here? In the past I could understand, but now? Doesn't seem like a good idea.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Not really on topic, but why in the hell would people still be rushing to our borders? Are they not aware that the current administration is going to make it as difficult as possible for them to get into the country, and even harder to stay here? In the past I could understand, but now? Doesn't seem like a good idea.

This is a woman in Guatemala who was recently detain for crossing the US border with her child. Her child was taken away.

This shack is where she lives, it's obvious why she wants to come to the US.

In the past if you brought a child with you and were caught, they would let you go free in the US until your hearing. Nobody knew how to handle immigrants with kids so they'd just let you go. It was gaming the system.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-ca...mpaign=bbcnews

Racist pos. Concentration camps for children is a new low.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

This is a woman in Guatemala who was recently detain for crossing the US border with her child. Her child was taken away.

This shack is where she lives, it's obvious why she wants to come to the US.

In the past if you brought a child with you and were caught, they would let you go free in the US until your hearing. Nobody knew how to handle immigrants with kids so they'd just let you go. It was gaming the system.
    I get that. But why would new people be wanting to come here? Has the news reached them? If they are caught coming here in the wrong way, they will be detained, separated from their children, and sent back without them. I guess they are willing to take the risk, and if so, I sympathize with them since they must be coming from a far worse place. But damn that is a hell of a risk to take.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-ca...mpaign=bbcnews

Racist pos. Concentration camps for children is a new low.
    but @lockedout said there were coached!

Because all one has to do is look at where these folks come from and then release that for most, these trump internment camps for kids are a better standard of living.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm still surprised there aren't banners that say "Work will set you free"

Maybe they're still being shipped from China

I get that. But why would new people be wanting to come here? Has the news reached them? If they are caught coming here in the wrong way, they will be detained, separated from their children, and sent back without them. I guess they are willing to take the risk, and if so, I sympathize with them since they must be coming from a far worse place. But damn that is a hell of a risk to take.
    There are 12 million illegal immigrants in the US. Trump isn't going to deport any of them and he's said as much. He's only deporting illegals who have criminal records.

Most of these immigrants don't trust the news, they go by word of mouth from people who are actually living illegally in the US. It's very hard to get information to them because of this.

And their fellow countrymen who are living illegally in the US are probably telling everyone how much money they make in the US and bragging about the new car they just bought.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    Because all one has to do is look at where these folks come from and then release that for most, these trump internment camps for kids are a better standard of living.
    That is heartbreaking. I heard the other day that the UN is looking at the US for inhumane conditions. But what about South America? If their people are fleeing en masse, their focus should be on those countries.

That is heartbreaking. I heard the other day that the UN is looking at the US for inhumane conditions. But what about South America? If their people are fleeing en masse, their focus should be on those countries.
    Latin America is as fucked up as it is. Uncle Sam had a hand in most of that, though. Central America, especially, has been a playground of American interests and occasionally plain old adventurers since the mid-19th century.

Look up United Fruit Company. Look up William Walker. Look up the Contras. The list goes on; several nations in Central America have been occupied by the US for various lenghts of time in the 20th century.

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreig..._United_States)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Latin America is as fucked up as it is. Uncle Sam had a hand in most of that, though. Central America, especially, has been a playground of American interests and occasionally plain old adventurers since the mid-19th century.

Look up United Fruit Company. Look up William Walker. Look up the Contras. The list goes on; several nations in Central America have been occupied by the US for various lenghts of time in the 20th century.

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreig..._United_States)
    Well aware of much of what we did to central america, but that doesn't mean an effort to repair the damage isn't needed. I often wish I was filthy rich so I could do something to help make things better for others. It's heart breaking to watch from the sidelines knowing I have no ability to make a difference. That goes for both domestic and international.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well aware of much of what we did to central america, but that doesn't mean an effort to repair the damage isn't needed. I often wish I was filthy rich so I could do something to help make things better for others. It's heart breaking to watch from the sidelines knowing I have no ability to make a difference. That goes for both domestic and international.
    Its funny you make the comparison to being a regular person vs a country because if a person causes harm, generally they have to pay. A country generally does not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Its funny you make the comparison to being a regular person vs a country because if a person causes harm, generally they have to pay. A country generally does not.
    I didn't intend to make such a comparison. Though it does suck that a country doesn't have to pay to repair the damages they caused.

But even if our country didn't cause the issues (not saying we didn't), they are our neighbors and allies. And we are treating them like they only exist to send their people over here. They need help, and it's the reason people are coming here. I would love if we could do something to help. But I am aware that they have their own leadership who is content leaving the people living in horrible conditions, and there isn't anything we can really do to change that.

I'm just frustrated with seeing people suffer, which is where my comments are coming from.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't intend to make such a comparison. Though it does suck that a country doesn't have to pay to repair the damages they caused.

But even if our country didn't cause the issues (not saying we didn't), they are our neighbors and allies. And we are treating them like they only exist to send their people over here. They need help, and it's the reason people are coming here. I would love if we could do something to help. But I am aware that they have their own leadership who is content leaving the people living in horrible conditions, and there isn't anything we can really do to change that.

I'm just frustrated with seeing people suffer, which is where my comments are coming from.
    well, it aint happening, so enjoy the concentration camps.

Regardless of the all the side bullshit separating them is as bad as the Japanese encampments of WWII. History repeating itself, hell Trump even eluded to wanting to be a king like figure multiple times.